ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz tweet

Fitz doesn't mince his words here: privilege, racism, oppression. He's not doing a balancing act. It is clear what he is saying, whether you like it or not. All things considered I am proud of his statement.

And then I thought to myself...I wonder what other head coaches are Tweeting, who are known to be active on the Twitter...

Dabo, Saban - no Twitter
PJ Fleck - "his death was indefensible"
Gus Malzhan - Wished his wife a happy anniversary
Lane Kiffin - deafening silence
Will Muschamp - see above
Clay Helton - video of him making a cheeseburger
Mack Brown - an impressive statement that expressed concern in a way that could be read as a show of sympathy to all sides. Maybe a run for public office is in order.
James Franklin - SAQUON BARKLEY 4-EVER
Ryan Day - solid, stand up guy, similar to Fitz. Finding him harder to hate than Urban or Tressel.
Tom Herman - condemned the act while making sure to praise the "many good men and women in law enforcement."
Dan Mullen - something about workouts and Tom Petty.
Mike Leach - Jerry Rice locker room quote/retweet. One from Pat Summitt before that.

I'll stop there.

We got the good one.

9 minutes on a man’s neck is pretty obviously wrong. Pretty sure Fitz nailed it pretty right as Sven from northern Minneapolis is unlikely to get the 9 minute knee to the neck treatment.
Don't be too sure about that. Justine from Australia got a bullet in the chest from a Minneapolis police officer. She's dead too. She was not a perp, not even a suspect, she was the person reporting a possible crime. The Minneapolis police department has and continues to have a serious problem.

BTW, the previous police chief was fired over that incident. Her replacement and the current incumbent, Medaria Arradondo, is a black man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inovacat
All well and good that coaches come out for equality and justice. But the NCAA still fights star players, many of them African American, getting some coin for their image and likeness. Would it be a bad thing for players, many of whom come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, to get a little money while they raise Billions for the NCAA?

All well and good that coaches come out for equality and justice. But the NCAA still fights star players, many of them African American, getting some coin for their image and likeness. Would it be a bad thing for players, many of whom come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, to get a little money while they raise Billions for the NCAA?

Sounds like a question for the Rant board.

Fitz doesn't mince his words here: privilege, racism, oppression. He's not doing a balancing act. It is clear what he is saying, whether you like it or not. All things considered I am proud of his statement.

And then I thought to myself...I wonder what other head coaches are Tweeting, who are known to be active on the Twitter...

Dabo, Saban - no Twitter
PJ Fleck - "his death was indefensible"
Gus Malzhan - Wished his wife a happy anniversary
Lane Kiffin - deafening silence
Will Muschamp - see above
Clay Helton - video of him making a cheeseburger
Mack Brown - an impressive statement that expressed concern in a way that could be read as a show of sympathy to all sides. Maybe a run for public office is in order.
James Franklin - SAQUON BARKLEY 4-EVER
Ryan Day - solid, stand up guy, similar to Fitz. Finding him harder to hate than Urban or Tressel.
Tom Herman - condemned the act while making sure to praise the "many good men and women in law enforcement."
Dan Mullen - something about workouts and Tom Petty.
Mike Leach - Jerry Rice locker room quote/retweet. One from Pat Summitt before that.

I'll stop there.

We got the good one.

Gotta admit, “something about workouts and Tom Petty” made me laugh out loud.

Don't be too sure about that. Justine from Australia got a bullet in the chest from a Minneapolis police officer. She's dead too. She was not a perp, not even a suspect, she was the person reporting a possible crime. The Minneapolis police department has and continues to have a serious problem.

This particular sad incident resulting in the death of Justine Damond/Ruszczyk (aside from showing wide-spread issues w/ the Minneapolis PD) was due to the shooter Mohamed Noor not having proper training (had 7 months of fast-track training) and being skittish - whether that be due to innate traits or being relatively inexperienced (21 months on the job) but being the SR officer (his partner having been on the force for only a year).

If Noor had been able to identify Damond/Ruszczyk, the outcome would have been different.

In the Floyd case, Chauvin had knowledge of who he was dealing w/, and did what he did despite Floyd being in no position to be a threat.

Noor's partner, admitted that they were spooked, and it's plausible that Noor was thinking that he had to protect his partner, esp. in light of the recent ambush of an NYPD officer while sitting in a patrol car.

There have been officers who have gotten off despite much more egregious actions (as opposed to being skittish/panicking).

There was a recent shooting of a young man (may have been looting) in California who had knelt and had his hands up, but the PO who fired his weapon did so believing that there was a handgun in the pocket (which turned out to be the handle of a hammer).

Will the officer in this case be deemed reasonable in discharging his firearm?

9 minutes on a man’s neck is pretty obviously wrong. Pretty sure Fitz nailed it pretty right as Sven from northern Minneapolis is unlikely to get the 9 minute knee to the neck treatment.
You must not know Sven. His chiropractor in Edina charges $150 for that treatment.

Cool, but "Stick to sports!" is still a stupid comment.
I agree. He should have said “shut up and tackle!” and been more specific.

I’m proud of our coaches who have spoken up. However that’s just a start - Twitter is cheap - and we all have a part to play. This institutionalized racism is sickening and has to stop. I don’t want the next generation of Americans to ask us why the hell we wasted so much energy on bullshit while our citizens of color are frightened of the very same officers sworn to protect them.

And if you cheer on African Americans when they’re on the sports field, then you should damn well vote and do your part to help protect them when they’re off it.

(I know, I know, I’m going back to the rant board. Save your keystrokes.)

BTW, the previous police chief was fired over that incident. Her replacement and the current incumbent, Medaria Arradondo, is a black man.

One of my best friends is a cop and I’m prone to error on the side of the cop when there’s a split second judgement that involves pulling a trigger or putting yourself at risk. In this case, however, one man put his knee on another (obviously helpless) man’s neck for 9 minutes or ~540 seconds until he died... Not at all akin to the the tougher more ambiguous judgement calls that normally come across our desk...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT