ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzpatrick leaves NU

Matt, we hardly knew ye ...

but wish you best.

We can hope that at least it was a tough decision.

This is a huge blow to Pat Goss's program. With All American Jack Perry and world #1 Matt Fitzpatrick we could've made serious noise in the NCAAs. Now it will be interesting to see how guys like Bennet Lavin and John Callahan and Andy Whalen step up. Good opportunity for these kids who had really taken a back seat to the top two guys.

see ... we're better off recruiting those 2 and 3 star athletes!!!

best of luck!!!

Originally posted by olshin:

see ... we're better off recruiting those 2 and 3 star athletes!!!

best of luck!!!
You might have a point. Matt Fitzpatrick was, without question, the best recruit NU ever had in any sport ever. #1 in the world. It doesn't get better than that. The kid prob thinks he has a small window of opportunity here and I hope he succeeds.

I've been fielding calls about this all fricking day. It caught me totally off guard. I can't say I blame the kid. Who wouldn't want to play fricking golf for a living if you're good enough to pull it off?

I question whether he is or not at the next level. But that's for him to decide. He can always go back to school and even play for NU if he wants. The only thing I've heard is that he does NOT plan on turning pro. He just wants to work on his game full time. Hats off to the kid. With a focus like that, he just might make it after all. I seem to recall Cindy Crawford leaving after a quarter to focus on what she does... And she worked out alright - so maybe the odds are with him.

Originally posted by Mr. Stupor:
I've been fielding calls about this all fricking day. It caught me totally off guard. I can't say I blame the kid. Who wouldn't want to play fricking golf for a living if you're good enough to pull it off?

I question whether he is or not at the next level. But that's for him to decide. He can always go back to school and even play for NU if he wants. The only thing I've heard is that he does NOT plan on turning pro. He just wants to work on his game full time. Hats off to the kid. With a focus like that, he just might make it after all. I seem to recall Cindy Crawford leaving after a quarter to focus on what she does... And she worked out alright - so maybe the odds are with him.
He can't go pro yet or he will lose his ability to play 3 majors this year. The British, US Open, and Masters are all contingent upon his amateur status. He will do what many try to do. He'll play these and try to make the cuts. He'll play pro events that he is invited to. When it is clear he is making most of the cuts, he'll go pro and try to make the tour the way Jordan Spieth did-- sponsor's exemptions and finishing in the money.

Do you really think I don't think I know this?

A lot of Euros choose to just go pro at this stage. Hell, a lot of them turn pro at 16 or whatever. I like the fact that he's taking his time as an amateur, but the really important thing is that he's devoting his full time to golf BUT staying an amateur.

Do you really think this kid wil make a dent in either the Masters or either Open Championship? I sure don't. He's a GLB, I'll grant that. But from what I've seen, I don't see the ball control in terms of flighting the ball you need to play at the next level. Without serious power, the ability to flight the ball at will is a necessity.

Yes, I do think he'll make a "dent". He's very, very young. But he's got the tools and demeanor to make it big in this game.

I agree with Mr. stupor. The kid lacks power. He may make it on tour,but it may take three years or so. Poor decision! He has no power.

Originally posted by wrestlerone:
I agree with Mr. stupor. The kid lacks power. He may make it on tour,but it may take three years or so. Poor decision! He has no power.
He drives the ball 300 yards. Luke made it to #1 in the world hitting it 270.

Doc, he needed to average 69 this season at NU to be a legit pro. He may make it,maybe not next year!

Originally posted by wrestlerone:
Doc, he needed to average 69 this season at NU to be a legit pro. He may make it,maybe not next year!
Forget about what he did in college tournaments. When the bright lights were on, he won the US AM and was low am making the cut at the Open Championship. The 3 majors he plays in this year will be very telling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT