ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz's comments from today's lunch session with media

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
EVANSTON-Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald invited about 10 select media members to Anderson Hall today for an informal Q&A session that addressed a wide range of topics.

The first hour was on the record, but for the second hour the recorders were turned off and Fitz talked about a lot of issues off the record. I know that most of you would be very interested in many of the off-the-record topics, but I am obviously going to report only report those things that were said on the record.

So here is what Northwestern's head honcho had to say. I may turn some of these things into full-blow stories, but these are the quick-and-dirty bullet points. I will post these as I go and divide them into several posts.

- Players who will not participate in spring practice due to injuries or recovery from off-season surgery: Matt Frazier, Greg Kuhar, Tyler Lancaster, Anthony Pierce, Troy Sheppard, Drew Smith and Parrker Westphal. The following players will be out in the beginning of practice but who could return at some point this spring: Blake Hance, Traveon Henry, Sean McEvilly, Geoff Mogus, Kenton Playko, Tommy Fuessel. Fitz said that he expects all of them to be back by fall camp.

- NU will hold its Pro Day on March 3, after practice. Trevor Siemian will participate in a second Pro Day at a later date to be determined. Ibraheim Campbell, who did not run the 40 and participate in drills at the Combine because of hamstring tightness, will also likely participate in the second Pro Day.

- This is the first time that NU didn't have one player fall out of Winning Edge over the winter. "We're a much stronger football team than we were a year ago," he said.

- Fitz hopes to go have full-go scrimmages on Saturdays, moreso than in the past. However, even though he feels depth is better this season than it has been, he still doesn't expect to have a full-blown spring game. He says he would love to split the squad into two teams and play a game, but numbers will probably not allow him to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News