ADVERTISEMENT

(For ECat) "You Northwestern People Are Annoying"

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I had just gotten to First Ascent and was changing into my climbing shoes.

A young feller' walks and sits on the bench next to me. He has full OSU regalia--black sweats emblazoned with scarlet lettering, a Rose Bowl sweat shirt from God knows when, and a black baseball hat with the scarlet O.

"Aren't the Bucknuts playing tonight?" I asked.

"No. That's tomorrow. Thank God they fired that coach."

"Yeah. It's been a rough year for them. I've been lucky to see my team a bunch games--I'm a Wildcat." I threw the last part in because I was feeling salty.

"Kentucky?" [I wasn't sporting any NU logos]

[chuckling]. "No. Northwestern. I am used to us being overlooked. It has served us well the last two seasons."

"What do you think of the stadium plan?"

"I have some great memories, but I won't miss that old barn. The new one should be great. They nailed the basketball arena. I think football will have a similar result. I have never been to the Shoe. That must be a madhouse."

"Actually, I went to Cincinnati.."

"Really? You are a Wal-Mart Buckeye?"

"You Northwestern people are annoying..."

A young feller' walks and sits on the bench next to me. He has full OSU regalia--black sweats emblazoned with scarlet lettering, a Rose Bowl sweat shirt from God knows when, and a black baseball hat with the scarlet O.

"Yeah. It's been a rough year for them. I've been lucky to see my team a bunch games--I'm a Wildcat." I threw the last part in because I was feeling salty.

[chuckling]. "No. Northwestern. I am used to us being overlooked. It has served us well the last two seasons."

"I have some great memories, but I won't miss that old barn. The new one should be great. They nailed the basketball arena. I think football will have a similar result. I have never been to the Shoe. That must be a madhouse."

Why did you post this gem on the free board instead of The Rock? To try and punish us freeloaders?

It is not uncommon for alumni of other Ohio universities to be fans of OSU. Plus, who cares? You didn’t even defend any babies from secondhand smoke in this story.

I’m disappointed that you spread far the lame of our shared name.

Why did you post this gem on the free board instead of The Rock? To try and punish us freeloaders?

It is not uncommon for alumni of other Ohio universities to be fans of OSU. Plus, who cares? You didn’t even defend any babies from secondhand smoke in this story.

That last sentence haha. But you’re totally right… who cares why someone is a fan of one team or another.

I’m not an NU alum. I grew up going to games since I was 6 though so I’ve been in the culture much longer than some recent NU alums. And I love NU just as much as them if not more. Plus, every NU alum treats me as one of their own. Some of my best friends I’ve made through our shared love of NU.

Let’s just beat the hell of the Buckeyes, please. Regardless of where their fans come from.

I get it. My boss is a WalMart Wolverine. He attended one directional M school undergrad and another grad school, but wears M stuff. When he introduces himself (like at a presentation) he says he went to school "in Michigan".

That last sentence haha. But you’re totally right… who cares why someone is a fan of one team or another.

I’m not an NU alum. I grew up going to games since I was 6 though so I’ve been in the culture much longer than some recent NU alums. And I love NU just as much as them if not more. Plus, every NU alum treats me as one of their own. Some of my best friends I’ve made through our shared love of NU.

Let’s just beat the hell of the Buckeyes, please. Regardless of where their fans come from.
Hell yes!

We need more fans period. I couldn’t care less if you attended or not. I wish we had more “Walmart Wildcats” who simply like what our program represents and how fun our games can be to everyone who likes football.

I personally think @Hungry Jack ‘s post reeks of arrogance. He’s a Nice guy, but even Clint would spray some Baboon Deodorant to cover up that stinker.

• Love
Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Just proves my hypothesis...

The vast majority of obnoxious fans of any given school didn't actually attend that school lol
What?

In the interaction that @Hungry Jack outlined, he initiated the contact with a stranger.

The Buckeye fan was cordial in his responses and even politely inquired how our stadium construction is progressing. There are a number of schools with “Wildcats” as their mascot… so confusion is to be expected.

Then Hungry insulted the person by suggesting their fandom is lesser because they didn’t attend the school.

Sorry, but to the unbiased observer… we’re the jerk fanbase in this interaction. We need to represent our program with the class we think it has. Especially given recent news events…

Well done. Well done

• Haha
Reactions: Eurocat

I care. And so should you.

dOSU is the object of hate for every true NU fan, both because of the years of rape murder and torture we have suffered with them but also because of the cheating ways in which they do it that fly in the face of everything NU stands for.

Blessed are they who share their testimonies of derision as Hungry here has done.

Go my child and sing the Alma Mater three times, GO U Northwestern five times and say 10 Hail Gary’s and repent and renounce the Buckeye and his works.

What?

In the interaction that @Hungry Jack outlined, he initiated the contact with a stranger.

The Buckeye fan was cordial in his responses and even politely inquired how our stadium construction is progressing. There are a number of schools with “Wildcats” as their mascot… so confusion is to be expected.

Then Hungry insulted the person by suggesting their fandom is lesser because they didn’t attend the school.

Sorry, but to the unbiased observer… we’re the jerk fanbase in this interaction. We need to represent our program with the class we think it has. Especially given recent news events…
Good grief. You are triggered.

I care. And so should you.

dOSU is the object of hate for every true NU fan, both because of the years of rape murder and torture we have suffered with them but also because of the cheating ways in which they do it that fly in the face of everything NU stands for.

Go my child and sing the Alma Mater three times, GO U Northwestern five times and say 10 Hail Gary’s and repent and renounce the Buckeye and his works.
That got intense!

It seems like more fans on here dislike Michigan more than O$U. They were literally caught cheating, given less than a slap on the wrist, and won the whole enchilada. Then their head coach skipped town and the toothless NCAA remains impotent.

For a long time I loathed PSU because of what Sandusky did and how they covered it up. But then half the conference had their own scandals… ourselves included.

I dislike Iowa the most currently. But most of my dislike is just because it’s been such an intense rivalry. Now that their racist strength coach is gone, it’s hard for me to hate on a program with their tradition of waving to the Children’s hospital.

Good grief. You are triggered.
Look, perhaps this kind of post would get overlooked on the Rock. But this is the Free board, and we are merciless.

It seems like the Buckeye offended you by not realizing which kind of Wildcat you are. It’s perfectly reasonable to think you could be a Kentucky fan - they probably have a similar number of alumni to us in the Chicagoland area.

I’ve also enjoyed meeting casual NU fans from Chicago who never attended NU, simply like watching us on TV, but have never made it to the stadium. It’s hard to blame them…. It’s a pain in the ass to get to Evanston, expensive to find parking and a ticket if you don’t know how to do so cheaply, and we’ve laid a lot of stinkers at home. But as long as they’re fans… who cares?

Hell, I still haven’t been to the new Welsh Ryan. I live 2 hours away by flight and follow the basketball team passionately. Is my basketball fandom lesser than those who have had the privilege of attending? I think not!

It seems like more fans on here dislike Michigan more than O$U
That's probably because I am obnoxiously loud about it.

Re my Fandom as an NU fan, I still remain the battered child, cringing from the next blow (especially in basketball-the scars are so deep). I proudly wear purple and hang the flag on gameday, but if someone asks if I attended, my answer is something like: "of course! We don't have any fans that didn't attend".

That's probably because I am obnoxiously loud about it.

Re my Fandom as an NU fan, I still remain the battered child, cringing from the next blow (especially in basketball-the scars are so deep). I proudly wear purple and hang the flag on gameday, but if someone asks if I attended, my answer is something like: "of course! We don't have any fans that didn't attend".
Huh

I’ve come around on this. I used to be a “you didn’t even go there” fan, but that type of fandom is just so ingrained in some areas.

I was surprise the degree that UGA was covered like a pro team when I lived in Atlanta, with sports yakkers talking about backup WRs and recruiting battles just like they talk about spots 50-53 on the roster and free agency and the draft. Like cheering for the Falcons, it’s just “laundry” as Seinfeld said, but at a different level.

And for what it’s worth, I’m learning how insane tuition is everywhere now. Lots of kids who want to go to Ohio State choose somewhere else for a variety of reasons, even if their heart remains with OSU.

I support cheering for as many teams as you want, because sports are fun and if you cheer for more teams, you’ve got a better chance of winning any given week. I’ve got at least five MLB teams I want to see win on a given day, several in the same division.

The people who were gross were those at NU who maintained the state school of their youth as their favorite, and NU as their number two. Yuck.

Reactions: ricko654321

It's like a general rule that the most obnoxious, in-your-face fans of school X never actually matriculated at school X.

There are of course exceptions, but as a general rule ...

You could have thanked him/his school for our quarterback who got us bowling. Meet them where they are.

Look, perhaps this kind of post would get overlooked on the Rock. But this is the Free board, and we are merciless.

It seems like the Buckeye offended you by not realizing which kind of Wildcat you are. It’s perfectly reasonable to think you could be a Kentucky fan - they probably have a similar number of alumni to us in the Chicagoland area.

I’ve also enjoyed meeting casual NU fans from Chicago who never attended NU, simply like watching us on TV, but have never made it to the stadium. It’s hard to blame them…. It’s a pain in the ass to get to Evanston, expensive to find parking and a ticket if you don’t know how to do so cheaply, and we’ve laid a lot of stinkers at home. But as long as they’re fans… who cares?

Hell, I still haven’t been to the new Welsh Ryan. I live 2 hours away by flight and follow the basketball team passionately. Is my basketball fandom lesser than those who have had the privilege of attending? I think not!
Evanston is a pain in the ass? Try getting in and out of State College on a game day.

Ryan Field is probably the easiest Big Ten stadium to get to. Heck you can take a bus (actually there are two lines you can choose from) with a stop less than 100 feet from the nearest enterance. I am not talking a campus shuttle, those are city busses that you can catch from Howard or somewhere else in Evanston if you know where the stops are. Or go the other way by parking at Old Orchard (the terminus on the North side of the route). It's like four stops or something. No way can you get to any other stadium that easy (maybe Minnesota, not sure of that). Heck even Rutgers was a big haul from parking lot to enterance. And of course we have the El and the Metra.

Ryan Field is probably the easiest Big Ten stadium to get to. Heck you can take a bus (actually there are two lines you can choose from) with a stop less than 100 feet from the nearest enterance. I am not talking a campus shuttle, those are city busses that you can catch from Howard or somewhere else in Evanston if you know where the stops are. Or go the other way by parking at Old Orchard (the terminus on the North side of the route). It's like four stops or something. No way can you get to any other stadium that easy (maybe Minnesota, not sure of that). Heck even Rutgers was a big haul from parking lot to enterance. And of course we have the El and the Metra.
It's incredibly easy for local fans. Two rapid transit lines if you don't want to drive. If you don't want to pay to park, just go north of Linden and park on the street. Tickets for all but the "red" teams and Iowa are dirt cheap. I paid less than 25$ for every game except Wrigley, and the only end zone seats I had were v Penn State.

Butthurt over calling somebody a "Wal-Mart" fan. Oh the humanity.

Our society has become far too thin-skinned.
Lol. My butt feels just fine, thanks.

I’m just pointing out that to the unbiased eye, you committed the faux pas in this exchange.

It was an easy and sadly missed opportunity to represent us with a bit more class.

I’m back in Ohio and I just saw a muscular gentleman in a Cincinnati Bearcat hat and an Ohio State T shirt. My mind is blown.

I have no idea where or if he went to college. There is a strong possibility that he went to neither of those colleges. Like most Americans, he may have stepped foot in a Walmart at some point.

Should I have accosted him like @Hungry Jack even though he did nothing to bother me?

Fans wanna know.

I’m back in Ohio and I just saw a muscular gentleman in a Cincinnati Bearcat hat and an Ohio State T shirt. My mind is blown.

I have no idea where or if he went to college. There is a strong possibility that he went to neither of those colleges. Like most Americans, he may have stepped foot in a Walmart at some point.

Should I have accosted him like @Hungry Jack even though he did nothing to bother me?

Fans wanna know.
Yes. He was wearing an Ohio State TShirt, so you should have spit in his face, and unbuckled your belt and urinated on him for good measure.

Do better next time please.

Fans wanna know.
Give him a cold shower? Or as ECat suggests, a golden one.

Yes. He was wearing an Ohio State TShirt, so you should have spit in his face, and unbuckled your belt and urinated on him for good measure.

Do better next time please.
Not to go into Rant Board territory, but Ohio has very loose gun laws compared to NYC or California.

Any ideas that won’t get this freeloader shot?

Because the free board deserves it

Because the free board deserves it
Well in that case…

thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another.gif

Reactions: Eurocat
Evanston is a pain in the ass? Try getting in and out of State College on a game day.
I never had any real problems. I bought the discounted parking pass from the Athletic Office, parked in a pasture about 1/3 mile from the stadium and got on the road in minutes after the games. PSU fans invited me to their tailgates. My only concern was the stadium--the infrastructure looked like it was from an erector set

Just a question - because strokes of genius like this deserve to be understood. Did you just reflexively come up with Wal Mart Buckeye and say it before really thinking about it - or did you think about it before the words came out? Its brilliant either way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT