Nicholson284346-3+5.03+4.43
Martinelli365959+0+1.44+1.44
Hunger121810+8-0.28+1.33
Langborg325252+0+1.23+1.23
Barnhizer406863+5-0.88+0.12
Buie386557+8-2.13-0.53
Clayton11.53019+11-3.54-1.34
Blake Smith259-4-0.88-1.68

The three biggest Wildcat players on the court were the most productive.
Matt Nicholson gets the game ball, even though the Wildcats were -3 while he was playing.
He did a solid job on Wahab, who scored all 4 of his points in the first 3 minutes of the game.
Luke Hunger was effective in relief of Nicholson, with the team only allowing 10 points to PSU in 12 minutes. Thats a sharp improvement defensively.
With Ty Berry out indefinitely, Martinelli picked up minutes and did some good things, especially on the offensive boards.

Freshman Jordan Clayton put in a "Ryan Greer" type of performance, playing 11.5 minutes, during which NU blitzed PSU 30-19.
However, he only recorded one defensive rebound, so his Player +/- reflects this lack of individual production.
A couple years ago, when Greer and Buie were paired in the backcourt, NU was quite effective, with no obvious reason why.
When Greer took Buie's place on the court, we got creamed.
This season, subbing Clayton in for Buie has been "quite bad."
Against Penn State, Clayton played exclusively alongside Buie and the team performed very well.
So it is possible Collins has found something in how he uses Clayton.
The task of replacing Boo Buie fell to Blake Smith for almost 2 minutes. That didn't seem to work very well.

Prior to Ty Berry's injury, NU's most effective duo had been Nicholson/Berry.
As pointed out after Berry's injury, the new starting lineup of Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Langborg/Buie had not been very good so far this season.
They had been outscored 120-116 in about 70 minutes.
Alternatively, Luke Hunger with the same 4 had been effective, outscoring our opponents 59-47 in less than 29 minutes.
Both of those trends held steady against Penn State.
The starters struggled mightily on offense, getting beat 32-25 in almost 21 minutes of action.
In the 6 minutes Hunger played with the other starters, NU outscored PSU 10-6.

, but is Greer such a tall order?
6’2”, just like Clayton (ducks)

35 mpg to be found. About 15 new minutes for Martinelli. About 15 for Clayton. Five or fewer for Mullins/Smith/??.

The nice thing about Clayton is that, as a true point guard, looking two passes ahead and being prepared to move the ball are things he’s been doing his whole life. If he can keep the offense flowing and play hard defense, he’ll be doing his job.

There will always be 2 guys on the floor with him who are capable of finding their own shot.

It’s a big opportunity, and clearly he’s closer to Greer than Isiah Brown.

One game in, two bigs appears not in the consideration set.

Last edited:
Why are the player +/- and game +/- columns?
Player +/- is the box score contributions from each guy, essentially. It assigns credit and blame to the guys on the court relative to the other guys on the court with them.

Game +/- is the combination of Raw +/- (divided by 5) and the Player's personal +/-.

So in Clayton's case, he was +11. He gets one fifth of the credit for that. But his Player +/- shows he didnt do anything measurable to get the team to that 11 point advantage. He ends up as an underperformer for this game.

Reactions: drewjin
Player +/- is the box score contributions from each guy, essentially. It assigns credit and blame to the guys on the court relative to the other guys on the court with them.

Game +/- is the combination of Raw +/- (divided by 5) and the Player's personal +/-.

So in Clayton's case, he was +11. He gets one fifth of the credit for that. But his Player +/- shows he didnt do anything measurable to get the team to that 11 point advantage. He ends up as an underperformer for this game.
Love it. In previous years I think you just did straight addition. Thank you for your efforts.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Blake didn't look too bad to me for a soph walk on. He wasn't great, but he also didn't look completely lost. Clayton looked pretty good for a frosh guard. Still a bench player, but he's going to get a lot more experience in the next few weeks.

edit: Coach said something about Blake earning some court time from his play in practice. Makes me wonder what's going on with Gus.

PlayerMinutesNU PtsPSU PtsRaw +/-Player +/-Game +/-
Nicholson284346-3+5.03+4.43
Martinelli365959+0+1.44+1.44
Hunger121810+8-0.28+1.33
Langborg325252+0+1.23+1.23
Barnhizer406863+5-0.88+0.12
Buie386557+8-2.13-0.53
Clayton11.53019+11-3.54-1.34
Blake Smith259-4-0.88-1.68

The three biggest Wildcat players on the court were the most productive.
Matt Nicholson gets the game ball, even though the Wildcats were -3 while he was playing.
He did a solid job on Wahab, who scored all 4 of his points in the first 3 minutes of the game.
Luke Hunger was effective in relief of Nicholson, with the team only allowing 10 points to PSU in 12 minutes. Thats a sharp improvement defensively.
With Ty Berry out indefinitely, Martinelli picked up minutes and did some good things, especially on the offensive boards.

Freshman Jordan Clayton put in a "Ryan Greer" type of performance, playing 11.5 minutes, during which NU blitzed PSU 30-19.
However, he only recorded one defensive rebound, so his Player +/- reflects this lack of individual production.
A couple years ago, when Greer and Buie were paired in the backcourt, NU was quite effective, with no obvious reason why.
When Greer took Buie's place on the court, we got creamed.
This season, subbing Clayton in for Buie has been "quite bad."
Against Penn State, Clayton played exclusively alongside Buie and the team performed very well.
So it is possible Collins has found something in how he uses Clayton.
The task of replacing Boo Buie fell to Blake Smith for almost 2 minutes. That didn't seem to work very well.

Prior to Ty Berry's injury, NU's most effective duo had been Nicholson/Berry.
As pointed out after Berry's injury, the new starting lineup of Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Langborg/Buie had not been very good so far this season.
They had been outscored 120-116 in about 70 minutes.
Alternatively, Luke Hunger with the same 4 had been effective, outscoring our opponents 59-47 in less than 29 minutes.
Both of those trends held steady against Penn State.
The starters struggled mightily on offense, getting beat 32-25 in almost 21 minutes of action.
In the 6 minutes Hunger played with the other starters, NU outscored PSU 10-6.
I hope I don’t get killed for this…but kudos to you for a cross-race comparable. I have rarely seen that.

Go ‘Cats!

The cognitive dissonance is killing me.

That was a low scoring, ugly rock fight (actually, I think rock fights are beautiful in their own special way) that saw our shooters go 10-40.

Yet somehow, Clayton's presence on the floor coincides with 30 points in 11.5 minutes. That's a 104 pace.

[head explodes]

The cognitive dissonance is killing me.

That was a low scoring, ugly rock fight (actually, I think rock fights are beautiful in their own special way) that saw our shooters go 10-40.

Yet somehow, Clayton's presence on the floor coincides with 30 points in 11.5 minutes. That's a 104 pace.

[head explodes]

Were they accidentally doubling Clayton based on a artificial intelligence-based scouting report?
It sees "Jordan" and gets very confused?

When Clayton was out there for 11.5 minutes, we scored 30.
When our starters were out there for 21 minutes, we poured in 25 points, several bricks at a time.

I don't care what it is - if JC can go out there and magically bring out the best in his teammates, more power to him!

Were they accidentally doubling Clayton based on a artificial intelligence-based scouting report?
It sees "Jordan" and gets very confused?

When Clayton was out there for 11.5 minutes, we scored 30.
When our starters were out there for 21 minutes, we poured in 25 points, several bricks at a time.

I don't care what it is - if JC can go out there and magically bring out the best in his teammates, more power to him!
Lies, damn lies, statistics...and + / -

jk

Maybe the Clayton with Buie thing works better because it allows Buie to take a more active role in the offense while he's out there with Clayton rather than doing is save energy and get the other guys involved routine. They're playing a man down basically, so Buie has no choice but to burn some of his energy to be the guy for a few minutes.

I'll have to keep at eye on this.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Honestly, if freshman Clayton in the thick of the Big Ten race can be veteran Ryan Greer, that's something I would take every day. No one is asking him to be Boo, but is Greer such a tall order?
Greer was a fine complimentary player as a veteran. Clayton looks like a young Greer not a Veteran Greer. Clayton isn’t close to veteran Greer right now.

However, Clayton will be a better player and I predict he’ll get on the board with a couple hoops next game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT