ADVERTISEMENT

+/- for the Rude Jerk at Rutgers

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
The rude jerk is, of course, the moron who kicked Ryan Langborg out of a basketball game for trying to get out of a double-team and accidentally slapping a defender's crotch with his hand.
Accidental, incidental contact is normally not a foul, much less a flagrant foul, but it was last night, with NU leading 17-7.
I'd bet my life that ref had somebody's betting interests at heart or was trying to screw Chris Collins.
Hard to imagine NU would have lost if Langborg hadn't been kicked out.
Anyhow, it was an interesting game, with a few questions answered and a few new ones to ponder.

PlayerMinutesNU PtsRU PtsRaw +/-Player +/-Game +/-
Buie395863-5+10.0+9.0
Mullins (who?)26.54348-5+6.7+5.7
Preston697+2+1.1+1.5
Langborg10179+8-0.3+1.3
Nicholson30.54952-3+0.3-0.3
Hunger3.524-2-0.3-0.7
Barnhizer365856+2-4.6-4.2
Clayton9.5717-10-2.9-4.9
Martinelli395759-2-10.1-10.5

This was the most minutes (39) Nick Martinelli has ever played in an NCAA game and it was his worst performance by a wide margin.
He scored both of his baskets in the first 5 minutes of the game. Then he missed 7 straight shots.
He only had 2 rebounds. Three turnovers. He was pretty bad in the 2nd half. He played tired.

Brooks Barnhizer didn't shoot the ball well, but tried to make up for it with 13 rebounds.
Thats a 4 for 15 shooting effort on the heels of a 3 for 15 performance since Ty Berry has been unavailable.
Zero steals for Brooks is a sign of fatigue. Hopefully this isn't the same sort of thing as Chase Audige went thru last year, where he just couldn't make a shot after playing heavy minutes all season.

Boo Buie did what he could to win the game for NU. Yet another strong performance, though he too faded a bit down the stretch.
If I counted right, NU went 5 of 21 from the floor with 6 turnovers after taking a 42-31 lead with 17 minutes to play.

Matt Nicholson made a significant impact on the defensive end. Somebody needs to talk to him about when to dunk and when to try a left handed layup.
Enjoyed watching him battling with Omoruyi - thankfully the refs let them play. Nothing sucks like a whistle-happy ref.

Blake Preston provided some decent minutes slugging it out in the mosh pit.

As for Justin Mullins - well he was something of a revelation. He appeared to have hit the weights and put mass on his athletic frame since showing up at NU.
Why Jordan Clayton was getting opportunities ahead of him will be one of life's mysteries. Why Mullins has been glued to the bench for a few months is another.
Guy went 3 for 3 from the field and had 3 blocked shots. Clearly unfazed by playing on the road in the Big Ten.
Looked like the best athlete on the team.
Some guys play a lot better in games than they do in practice. Hopefully Mullins is the answer to our rotation's deficiencies.
If he can provide productive minutes in relief of Barnhizer and Martinelli at Indiana, a big problem has been addressed.
I'm hoping this is a repeat of last season's Martinelli story, where an injury to a teammate provided an opportunity for a young player to open his coach's eyes a little.

Jordan Clayton did not play well.

The rude jerk is, of course, the moron who kicked Ryan Langborg out of a basketball game for trying to get out of a double-team and accidentally slapping a defender's crotch with his hand.
Accidental, incidental contact is normally not a foul, much less a flagrant foul, but it was last night, with NU leading 17-7.
I'd bet my life that ref had somebody's betting interests at heart or was trying to screw Chris Collins.
Anyhow, it was an interesting game, with a few questions answered and a few new ones to ponder.

Buie395863-5+10.0+9.0
Preston697+2+1.1+1.5
Langborg10179+8-0.3+1.3
Hunger3.524-2-0.3-0.7
Clayton9.5717-10-2.9-4.9

This was the most minutes (39) Nick Martinelli has ever played in an NCAA game and it was his worst performance by a wide margin.
He scored both of his baskets in the first 5 minutes of the game. Then he missed 7 straight shots.
He only had 2 rebounds. Three turnovers. He was pretty bad in the 2nd half. He played tired.

Brooks Barnhizer didn't shoot the ball well, but tried to make up for it with 13 rebounds.
Thats a 4 for 15 shooting effort on the heels of a 3 for 15 performance since Ty Berry has been unavailable.
Zero steals for Brooks is a sign of fatigue. Hopefully this isn't the same sort of thing as Chase Audige went thru last year, where he just couldn't make a shot after playing heavy minutes all season.

Boo Buie did what he could to win the game for NU. Yet another strong performance, though he too faded a bit down the stretch.
If I counted right, NU went 5 of 21 from the floor with 6 turnovers after taking a 42-31 lead with 17 minutes to play.

Matt Nicholson made a significant impact on the defensive end. Somebody needs to talk to him about when to dunk and when to try a left handed layup.
Enjoyed watching him battling with Omoruyi - thankfully the refs let them play. Nothing sucks like a whistle-happy ref.

As for Justin Mullins - well he was something of a revelation. He appeared to have hit the weights and put mass on his athletic frame since showing up at NU.
Why Jordan Clayton was getting opportunities ahead of him will be one of life's mysteries. Why Mullins has been glued to the bench for a few months is another.
Guy went 3 for 3 from the field and had 3 blocked shots. Clearly unfazed by playing on the road in the Big Ten.
Some guys play a lot better in games than they do in practice. Hopefully Mullins is the answer to our rotation's deficiencies.
If he can provide productive minutes in relief of Barnhizer and Martinelli at Indiana, a big problem has been addressed.
I'm hoping this is a repeat of last season's Martinelli story, where an injury to a teammate provided an opportunity for a young player to open his coach's eyes a little.

I think Boo only faded because Rutgers started to aggressively double him when they realized we literally had no one else that could consistently score.

Nick struggled, but I suspect he bounces back quickly. Barney seems to have hit the wall shooting, but he still contributes on the boards. I said it it last week, if we can get close to 10 points from Big Matt, we are going to win. We play much better defense when he is playing, but we need more than 4 and 4 from him in 30 minutes on O. If Mullins plays as well as this, it will be a godsend. Just needs to stay connected on D. Lost his man on a couple of critical 3’s. Langborg is the third best player on this team. Ref’s allowed Rutgers to assault us many times in the second half.

Buie395863-5+10.0+9.0
Preston697+2+1.1+1.5
Langborg10179+8-0.3+1.3
Hunger3.524-2-0.3-0.7
Clayton9.5717-10-2.9-4.9

Lots of good observations. Frustrating loss. Let’s beat IU. Mr Mullins welcome to the rotation.

Brooks and Nick need Ryan on the floor. Ryan's shooting spaces out the floor. But they also need to figure out another move, Rutgers had them scouted and came several times from behind to bother them on their drives and shots. It's not going to easier.

Mullins did a very good job. Hopefully, can keep it up.

Loved the battle of the bigs.

Needed to give Hunger more than two minutes jn the second half just to space the floor.. Collins needs to watch how Denver uses the Joker, Not saying Hunger is as good, but use some of the concepts.

Clayton had a terrible second half, thoughts to make a play were there but could not execute. Needs to slow the game down in his mind.

One thing, when NU runs their floppy and zaga sets with lots of motion, the seem to build leads. Then the last 5 minutes of games, they run pin downs which leads to iso ball. Boo is the teams best scorer, have to find ways to get him shots last 5 minutes of games. 5 winnable games on the road have been lost. They had leads in all of them

Brooks and Nick need Ryan on the floor. Ryan's shooting spaces out the floor.
As Brooks and Nick kept driving into traffic and getting themselves in trouble I kept thinking if some of those would pan out differently with the spacing Langborg forces. They surely had turnovers or just brought the play to a halt with their dribbling into traffic without any consequence

Reactions: drewjin
As Brooks and Nick kept driving into traffic and getting themselves in trouble I kept thinking if some of those would pan out differently with the spacing Langborg forces. They surely had turnovers or just brought the play to a halt with their dribbling into traffic without any consequence
This is definitely true. Given that the game planned with Langborg in the mix and he was suddenly not, it resulted in the morass on offense we saw last night. Clayton or Mullins in the game /= Langborg in terms of floor spacing and the ability for Barnhizer or Martinelli to drive.

Two positives from last night: Mullins provide minutes and Langborg is well-rested for Sunday.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the starters had Rutgers in disarray early in the game, falling behind 5-2 but then surging to a 12-5 lead, mainly by playing defense. Langborg had a couple steals... Collins didn't sub until the 12:49 mark, but NU extended the lead to 17-7 before Langborg got ejected at the 10:00 mark.

That was all encouraging.

As Bob Huggins (former West Virginia coach) once ranted... "The refs all want to get involved in the game - they all want to be a part of it - and thats fine - but then there is no accountability for what they do. Why aren't the refs in here answering questions about their performances? Why do we have 20 year old kids in here answering questions from you guys and the refs just walk away? There's nobody holding them accountable."

With Ty out, Langborg is the third best player on the so team. We can’t afford to lose him and yesterday proved it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT