ADVERTISEMENT

Four straight turnovers at end of regulation

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
Did Coach Collins not learn anything from last year? How many times did he hand the ball to Bryant and tell him to just do something at the end of games? And how often did it work?

Did Coach Collins not learn anything from last year? How many times did he hand the ball to Bryant and tell him to just do something at the end of games? And how often did it work?
I also thought that Mac hung onto the ball to much but who the hell is the alternative. Great to see Lindsey finally get out of his slump and Law is the heart and soul of this team.

To me, it was even worse than last year, Reminded me of say, 3 years ago....Thankfully we were playing lolIllinois, who did precisely zero with the gifts they were given.

Macintosh is making a habit of turning it over in crunch time. Forcing it way too much. Almost cost the team the game!

Hey, I could be wrong, but I think we have to credit a lot of that to the way the Illini defended BMac. Crispin mentioned it several times; Illinois was collapsing on him with multiple defenders, not giving him any room to operate. Maybe our offensive spacing takes part of the blame, but IMO, here's where our lack of additional ballhandlers came home to roost.

Look it's certainly not the first time it's happened. So at this point it's either 1) our offensive spacing or 2) the fact that nobody else can handle the damn ball well enough in those situations. This is the one thing that scares the hell out of me next year. What are we going to look like in these situations WITHOUT McIntosh?

Reactions: 2388bb
I like Mac a lot but he gets too stressed and turns the ball over. Still, Mac made a nice three pointer, and a great pass too PArdon late in the game!

Hey, I could be wrong, but I think we have to credit a lot of that to the way the Illini defended BMac. Crispin mentioned it several times; Illinois was collapsing on him with multiple defenders, not giving him any room to operate. Maybe our offensive spacing takes part of the blame, but IMO, here's where our lack of additional ballhandlers came home to roost.
Yes, you are correct! Illini had some nice guard play on Mac!

What I noticed was when he was pounding the rock for 8-10 seconds the rest of the team stood nearly completely still. it looked like a game of Duck Duck Goose.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan

I think BMac's teammates were bringing their defenders into BMac's space. So far -- over two years -- it's not a great look.

Both teams' defenses really cracked down on each other near the end of the game. It was sad we didn't even get a shot off over the last few minutes of the game! Sad. Alarming! But if we can get it fixed, we will be in really good shape for the rest of the slate of teams to play against.

I wish they'd just call the 84-foot pass to Pardon for a lay-up. Loved that play and it worked every time the used it last season!

Reactions: IGNORE2
What I noticed was when he was pounding the rock for 8-10 seconds the rest of the team stood nearly completely still. it looked like a game of Duck Duck Goose.
Thinking Mac is just trying to do to much and hangs on the dribble until it's panic time. Guess their is no other option but if he's the only guy that can distribute, then how about go to something like a 1-3-1, with Law roaming down low. Also please, everybody, stop with those weak floaters. Take it to hoop, make it or get fouled.

Both teams' defenses really cracked down on each other near the end of the game. It was sad we didn't even get a shot off over the last few minutes of the game! Sad. Alarming! But if we can get it fixed, we will be in really good shape for the rest of the slate of teams to play against.
Underwood said after the game in interviews that 3 of the Illini last 4 shots in overtime were so poorly launched or spaced that they were blocked bu NU.

Think criticism of BMac's end of game play recently is fair; seem to recall many of us going bonkers over Demps (earlier in his career) when he would dribble, wait for the shot clock to wind down, then throw up a bad-looking shot.

Later in his NU career, Demps would certainly make up for it w/ late game, clutch heroics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT