ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Quinn '87 qualifies for U.S.Open

Yes. Ex-'Cats to follow in the US Open this year: Fran Quinn, Luke Donald, Matt Fitzpatrick (paired with Justin Rose and Phil Mickelson). This is Matt's last event as an amateur. He's going pro right after the Open and playing in the Irish Open.

Other guys with NU connection: Both Keegan Bradley and Gary Woodland are now working with Pat Goss. So is past Masters Champion Trevor Immelman but I don't believe he is in the field this week.

Amazing round from Quinn. Matty Fitz shot a +1. Luke.... +7. I guess no major for him this week.

Here is today's Tribune bit on Fran. -4 and alone in second place as of 9 a.m. CDT. It's the only story I found that mentions NU.
This post was edited on 6/13 9:14 AM by OblioCat

The PGA Tour webpage has a story that says his son, who is caddying for Fran, is a 3 handicap golfer and is only a HS sophomore. I hope NU has its eye on him (and vice versa).

Originally posted by JoeWildcat:
The PGA Tour webpage has a story that says his son, who is caddying for Fran, is a 3 handicap golfer and is only a HS sophomore. I hope NU has its eye on him (and vice versa).
I love keeping things in the family, but I've got to tell you, a 3 handicap is barely gonna cut it at the high D1 level. In fact, it won't. Hope he keeps getting better.

I agree plus three won't make it at D-I, but for a HS sophomore, I would expect that to project to a scratch golfer by senior year (especially with a PGA pro as a father/coach). Of course, golf is a funny game.

Makes the cut!

Also sticking around is Matty Fitz. Alas Luke couldn't overcome his horrible start and missed the cut. What a fun ride for Fran.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT