ADVERTISEMENT

Future NU QB Comps

acedog

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Which former NU QBs are Marty and Smith comparable to ?

I think it’s safe to say that whoever the starter is this year is going to be a downgrade to a 5th year Senior Thorson.

Actually, Stream Cat has two grandkids: a boy named Brady and a girl named Quinn. True story.

Reactions: NU Houston
Based on size and style of play I would say Marty resembles Thorson and the closest comp for Smith is Kustok.

Good comments Corbi. Let me add....

Hard to compare anybody who hasn't played a college game to ZK. Zak never looked all that good running or passing. But man ... that kid was the epitome of a baller... a winner. I saw plenty of Marty his senior year in HS, when he was 20 lbs. lighter and presumably not as strong as he is now. Kid can spin it. Throws 30 yard darts with accuracy from the pocket. At that time he was noticeably less accurate passing after being flushed. Didn't have good "touch" on some of his throws. But all the tools of a high 3 star/4 star type prospect are there. Definitely a prospect that was hurt recruiting wise by missing an entire season due to injury and then committing early to MIami, OH. Small school competition may also have been a factor, but Wyoming plays some good competition including schools like Kettering Alter. The comparison to Thorson is a good one. Marty may not be quite as effective with his feet in extending drives, it's close between the two, but I believe he will show as much and possibly even more arm talent. The key as usual will be which Plan B QB shows the best decision making. We could see both Smith and Marty play in our first 3 games before the bye week.

If Marty rises to the occasion and wins the competition to be our Plan B QB for 2018, I think people will like what they see from our RS freshman QB. If not, then Smith will have beaten out a talented competitor. Bottom line ... we will have an inexperienced, but capable QB who can make plays if CT needs extra time at the beginning of the season to heal up. And that's the way it should be at a top 25 football program.

GOUNUII

Hard to compare anybody who hasn't played a college game to ZK. Zak never looked all that good running or passing. But man ... that kid was the epitome of a baller... a winner. I saw plenty of Marty his senior year in HS, when he was 20 lbs. lighter and presumably not as strong as he is now. Kid can spin it. Throws 30 yard darts with accuracy from the pocket. At that time he was noticeably less accurate passing after being flushed. Didn't have good "touch" on some of his throws. But all the tools of a high 3 star/4 star type prospect are there. Definitely a prospect that was hurt recruiting wise by missing an entire season due to injury and then committing early to MIami, OH. Small school competition may also have been a factor, but Wyoming plays some good competition including schools like Kettering Alter. The comparison to Thorson is a good one. Marty may not be quite as effective with his feet in extending drives, it's close between the two, but I believe he will show as much and possibly even more arm talent. The key as usual will be which Plan B QB shows the best decision making. We could see both Smith and Marty play in our first 3 games before the bye week.

If Marty rises to the occasion and wins the competition to be our Plan B QB for 2018, I think people will like what they see from our RS freshman QB. If not, then Smith will have beaten out a talented competitor. Bottom line ... we will have an inexperienced, but capable QB who can make plays if CT needs extra time at the beginning of the season to heal up. And that's the way it should be at a top 25 football program.

GOUNUII

I am very concerned about next season. If any of our qbs in our current stable play well for us and give us a winning season, I will be delightfully elated. I just see some Tony Stauss in what we have though. It just seems like all of the qbs we have now are late second or third plans? Are they good? The qb we got for the most recent class will be an ass-kicker for sure/Cale Millen ( the class after Whittaker- whatever year that is). But he won't be ready for at least 2/maybe 3 years! And the qbs on the roster just don't give me a lot of confidence right now? Can somebody convince me that they will be as good as CT or even Siemian? Colter? Basanez? Bacher?

I am very concerned about next season. If any of our qbs in our current stable play well for us and give us a winning season, I will be delightfully elated. I just see some Tony Stauss in what we have though. It just seems like all of the qbs we have now are late second or third plans? Are they good? The qb we got for the most recent class will be an ass-kicker for sure/Cale Millen ( the class after Whittaker- whatever year that is). But he won't be ready for at least 2/maybe 3 years! And the qbs on the roster just don't give me a lot of confidence right now? Can somebody convince me that they will be as good as CT or even Siemian? Colter? Basanez? Bacher?

Tony Stauss? Where did that come from?

That's an incredibly authoritative and pessimistic missive you just posted regarding players who have yet to play a down of college ball. Relax. Let it play out. There is talent in the pipeline. Just have to coach it up and be prepared for whatever CT's post surgical recovery may require. BTW ... all of the NU QBs you mention had their struggles. It's part of the game. Gotta find different ways to win when next man up rears its ugly head. It can be done.

GOUNUII

There's literally nothing to be concerned about..., what Maryland went through was a total disaster losing multiple QBs in the early weeks of the season.

We're not anywhere near that kind of desperation. The backups will get a great look in the spring, and CT's recovery timetable will determine what his return looks like (i.e. whether he's 100% before the season or in late September).

Reactions: mickbula
There's literally nothing to be concerned about..., what Maryland went through was a total disaster losing multiple QBs in the early weeks of the season.

We're not anywhere near that kind of desperation. The backups will get a great look in the spring, and CT's recovery timetable will determine what his return looks like (i.e. whether he's 100% before the season or in late September).
Heaven help us if we get additional QB injuries as we are as thin as rice paper in terms of experience. We faced what might have been some of the worst QB play in the nation last year in Maryland, Minny and the Fighting Lovies. We can’t drop to these depths. Don’t want to get to third or fourth string.

GOUNUII
How nice to have people like you and Coral on this Board. Clearly the best film and recruiting analysts on our beloved chat Board!

Tony Stauss? Where did that come from?

That's an incredibly authoritative and pessimistic missive you just posted regarding players who have yet to play a down of college ball. Relax. Let it play out. There is talent in the pipeline. Just have to coach it up and be prepared for whatever CT's post surgical recovery may require. BTW ... all of the NU QBs you mention had their struggles. It's part of the game. Gotta find different ways to win when next man up rears its ugly head. It can be done.

GOUNUII

Kind of like when CT started as a RS frosh? Find a way to win.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Kind of like when CT started as a RS frosh? Find a way to win.

Precisely.

Great to see you in Nashville for the game Coral. Between the NU and Canes’ games you saw some rare officiating moments. Richt was pissed. Fitz was pissed. Stoops was pissed. All for good reason. How did Cryst get the only bye from the Zebras? I want to see his demure demeanor tested.

GOUNUII

Heaven help us if we get additional QB injuries as we are as thin as rice paper in terms of experience. We faced what might have been some of the worst QB play in the nation last year in Maryland, Minny and the Fighting Lovies. We can’t drop to these depths. Don’t want to get to third or fourth string.

Sad thing about it was that lolllinois and Minny QBs were not even 3rd string; they were both second-stringers that replaced first string QBs due to ineffectiveness, not injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT