ADVERTISEMENT

Malnutrition Atlantique Stadium-Bordeaux France

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
I was watching Toulouse play Union Bordeaux-Begles this weekend in the Malmut Atlantique Stadium in Bordeaux.
The stadium is very impressive-a relatively compact rectangular structure with all seats under cover . There are 3 levels-the lower level has about 20 rows of seats,the second level has luxury boxes. The third level has about 15 rows of seats. The playing surface is large enough for standard rugby and soccer pitches that are larger than a football field. The view of the exterior(seen at Halftime) shows a relatively open ground level concourse.
Capacity is 42,215
Cost E 185 million($215 million) in 2016

The stadium would be ideal for concerts as the stage could be situated to allow variable attendance from 5 to 42 K

The stadium can be viewed on Flosports-Bordeaux-Begles v Toulouse. The game is worth watching also

I am still overwhelmed by the cost of the new Ryan Field when I compare it to moderate sized stadiums elsewhere that appear to be have comparable sightlines and amenities(luxury boxes etc)

Doc, the auto correct should get more eyeballs.

That stadium is very nice. Straightforward. I think in terms of the basics - three levels, concourse, partial roof, etc - the two stadiums are similar. A lot of times the scope of what is included in the cost of a stadium varies - site prep, complexity of foundations, utilities, infrastructure, roads, off-site improvements, parking and proffers come to mind, but that amount of difference is surprising. One other thing to consider is that the listed price may only include the base construction contract but not all the other associated costs such as professional fees, financing, build-out of suites, etc.

I don't have the industry pricing guides to refer to but across the US, union vs non-union, urban vs not, etc varies maybe a max of 20%. Seat of the pants, out of my a.. number. So for the sake of argument say construction pricing in Evanston is 20% higher than Bordeaux. Assume Bordeaux's pricing is from 2014 when they started. Say NU is based on 2024. So a 3% per year inflation year plus an extra one time covid jump of 15%. When I do the math, that comes out approximately to 2.0 times the cost of 2014 Bordeaux.

So that means a similar facility in Evanston in today's dollars is $430 mil. Totally an out of my a.. number but does give a reference point as to your question as to why NU's stadium costs so much in comparison. I don't have an answer and can only offer that the $1.5 bil number and up for NFL stadiums is becoming very common.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
I was watching Toulouse play Union Bordeaux-Begles this weekend in the Malmut Atlantique Stadium in Bordeaux.
The stadium is very impressive-a relatively compact rectangular structure with all seats under cover . There are 3 levels-the lower level has about 20 rows of seats,the second level has luxury boxes. The third level has about 15 rows of seats. The playing surface is large enough for standard rugby and soccer pitches that are larger than a football field. The view of the exterior(seen at Halftime) shows a relatively open ground level concourse.
Capacity is 42,215
Cost E 185 million($215 million) in 2016

The stadium would be ideal for concerts as the stage could be situated to allow variable attendance from 5 to 42 K

The stadium can be viewed on Flosports-Bordeaux-Begles v Toulouse. The game is worth watching also

I am still overwhelmed by the cost of the new Ryan Field when I compare it to moderate sized stadiums elsewhere that appear to be have comparable sightlines and amenities(luxury boxes etc)
I wholeheartedly agree about the exhorbitant cost.

Perhaps one additional cost driver is the demolition of a fully functional stadium that is necessary to make way for a new stadium, something that obliterates any claim NU might make to being an environmental steward.

But I hestitate to openly complain about extravagance on the North Shore for as with similar complainers in Bordeaux I am likely to be labeled a winer.

I was hoping this post was going to recommend we play a game there as a football and wine tour opportunity for alumni and compliment you for the most NU idea of all time

Reactions: No Chores
I was hoping this post was going to recommend we play a game there as a football and wine tour opportunity for alumni and compliment you for the most NU idea of all time
Bordeaux would jump at the opportunity to host an NU game. The stadium is not yet turning a profit-link it with a Bordeaux Begles game and it would be a great trip. Duke v NU with a wine tour would attract alums from both teams. I believe it would be possible to do it this year since many Bordeaux residents are still complaining about the cost of the stadium and looking for additional revenue

Bordeaux would jump at the opportunity to host an NU game. The stadium is not yet turning a profit-link it with a Bordeaux Begles game and it would be a great trip. Duke v NU with a wine tour would attract alums from both teams. I believe it would be possible to do it this year since many Bordeaux residents are still complaining about the cost of the stadium and looking for additional revenue

Why not? Would definitely reinforce our image as an academically elite school. I think that might be a great thing for recruiting. Come to NU to see the world. Financially probably a loser but given the next couple of years are a bit of a lost cause, not much to lose.

I contacted the Mayor of Bordeaux's Office, who referred me to the official in charge of the Malmut Atlantique Stadium. I explained Northwestern's problem and they are sending a delegation to Evanston to make a presentation about hosting the Duke game in Bordeaux.

I contacted the Mayor of Bordeaux's Office, who referred me to the official in charge of the Malmut Atlantique Stadium. I explained Northwestern's problem and they are sending a delegation to Evanston to make a presentation about hosting the Duke game in Bordeaux.
Truly? If so, oh to be a fly on the wall at that presentation!

Are they clear on what kind of Duke you were talking about?

I will be near enough for a quick trip to Bordeaux for 9/7 so I would be there for sure. Would be great fun!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT