ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Chicago State vs. No. 25 Northwestern

It’s everyone’s fault. Players and coaches. No shame in playing poorly for part of a game against a bad team. But when you realize you’re in a game and don’t turn up the intensity to win the game it’s really bad. That’s on all of them. Including Collins.
What would you have done different during the game if you were HC? Go big? Yelled and screamed a la Bobby Knight or Fran? Team lacked energy, it happens. We sucked and got exacted what we deserved.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaycg15
Well, both tournament losses. Also, 2009 we played at OSU to get to 9-9, which probably puts us in the tourney. Lost that by 5. 2018 has about 5, I can name... Creighton by 3, Georgia Tech by 1, and all of those down the stretch that ripped our hearts out. All of those ACTUALLY spelled not tourney for us. This is a blip. Ya, it sucked, but it in no way prevents us from getting to the tourney.
It's true that it's not close to the most painful loss if the team eventually ends up being the top-40 team that was on display in the first 8 games. If we end up being the top seed in the NIT, then it's definitely the most painful loss.

I think it's the worst team we've lost to in the 29 years I've been following NU hoops, although I have vague recollections of losing an exhibition game in the mid-'90s to one of those traveling teams of ex-college players like Athletes in Action or Marathon Oil. We've certainly lost to bad teams over the years, but usually when we were also bad. And even then I don't think the teams we lost to were as bad as this.

What would you have done different during the game if you were HC? Go big? Yelled and screamed a la Bobby Knight or Fran? Team lacked energy, it happens. We sucked and got exacted what we deserved.
Coaches and senior leaders job to realize the effort sucks and get everyone to turn it up. When you don’t have a rowdy student section and crowd your leaders need to find a way to get guys to play harder and not be so lazy. The effort tonight was unacceptable and nobody found a way to wake everyone up throughout the game.

It's true that it's not close to the most painful loss if the team eventually ends up being the top-40 team that was on display in the first 8 games. If we end up being the top seed in the NIT, then it's definitely the most painful loss.

I think it's the worst team we've lost to in the 29 years I've been following NU hoops, although I have vague recollections of losing an exhibition game in the mid-'90s to one of those traveling teams of ex-college players like Athletes in Action or Marathon Oil. We've certainly lost to bad teams over the years, but usually when we were also bad. And even then I don't think the teams we lost to were as bad as this.
Merrimack

NU struggles against teams that go small. The opponents don't worry about our centers dominating the boards and scoring inside with ease.

Also going 5 out against NU take away from the double down, which makes the NU Defense so strong. NU should be fine during the BIg10 season and maybe get a win in the tournament.

Sure, maybe we've not lost to worst teams, not sure about that, though.. But it is DEFINITELY not the worst loss in program history.

I disagree. With no quality out of conference wins, unless we blast through the BIG season, this loss will keep us out of the tournament.
Dayton appears to be decent, need them to have a strong year. But that would be it.

Coaches and senior leaders job to realize the effort sucks and get everyone to turn it up. When you don’t have a rowdy student section and crowd your leaders need to find a way to get guys to play harder and not be so lazy. The effort tonight was unacceptable and nobody found a way to wake everyone up throughout the game.
Yes, it was. Still doesn’t answer the question of what you would do as HC. Try Mullins. Sit Berry. I honestly didn’t see a single player that was up to par. It’s not like he could ride the hot hand as the entire team was in a funk.

Teams lose to inferior teams. Happens every week in college basketball. It’s not as easy as scream as a senior leader or Coach to play harder.

I have been harping all year on how we miss Chase on D. People scoffed at it. Our D is not as good as last year. They had a angle player that destroyed our defense. However, our offense should be as good or better. I am actually more optimistic about our success in the Conference than I was coming into the season.

We had a game where no one played well except Langborg. They had a game where a few guys played great, and others were serviceable. This happens in D1 hoops. Let’s just hope we have the mentality to never let it happen again this year. (It will happen again in future years - guaranteed).
Langborg had back to back awful turnovers. I wouldn't excuse him either. He shot great but nothing else was great.

I was at the game. A couple of observation.

1) NU was pretty careless with the ball.
2) Did not understand why we did not double down on their leading scorer in the last 4 minutes and make him give up the ball. It happened once when Barnhizer did it which caused a turnover. Players have done this in AAU and high school. Should be able to do it at this level.
3) None of our bigs have any muscle definition in their arms. Their hands were on the ball for rebounds, but could not pull them in. Barnhizer is strong and looks it.

The team had zero energy, made countless lazy stupid passes that Chicago State picked off all game, gave up 32 points in the paint to a team that played 5 guards, had the ball stolen 13 times, allowed 17 points off those turnovers, got out rebounded by a team that played 5 guards, and shot 65% on free throws. Oh, and Ryan Langborg took 0 shots over the last 12:35, scoring 1 point and committing 1 turnover the rest of the game.

Other than that, they played great.

Every team is going to experience a loss like this. The fear factor of a small team going to play a Power 5 is gone.

All these kids play against each other on the AAU circuits and Prep School circuit.

Comes down to who wants it more and is willing to do the little things to win.

Not to mention, Collins and his staff got out-coached. They couldn't find a combination that could counter the CSU no-bigs strategy.
They certainly tried to match them - we went small for a long time with Martinelli. But seemed like we just could not stop them off the dribble. Was Lowery in attendance?

Collins is a good coach. I think he does a good job.

Last year's team had an identity. It was helped by the fact that Hunger and Roper were hurt. So he had an 8 man rotation and everyone knew there role,

This year's team roles have changed multiple times and not sure he hasn't lost the team. First few games Clayton and Preston were first off the bench, then he came back with Nick and Ty. Were mistakes occurring, yes. But teachable moments. Players seemed to know what was going on.

Ty became hot during the Mohegan Sun tournament so he took the minutes and Clayton time decreased and was taken out for every mistake. Same with Preston, Hunger started to score so let's sit Preston.. Even though he causes some steals, etc in defense.

Seems like if you score you play, but when NU loses its the defense and people look at Lowry

What's the team identity.

Not knocking the players. They are all learning and trying their best. But the coaches have to put them in a situation to succeed.

Collins is a good coach. I think he does a good job.

Last year's team had an identity. It was helped by the fact that Hunger and Roper were hurt. So he had an 8 man rotation and everyone knew there role,

This year's team roles have changed multiple times and not sure he hasn't lost the team. First few games Clayton and Preston were first off the bench, then he came back with Nick and Ty. Were mistakes occurring, yes. But teachable moments. Players seemed to know what was going on.

Ty became hot during the Mohegan Sun tournament so he took the minutes and Clayton time decreased and was taken out for every mistake. Same with Preston, Hunger started to score so let's sit Preston.. Even though he causes some steals, etc in defense.

Seems like if you score you play, but when NU loses its the defense and people look at Lowry

What's the team identity.

Not knocking the players. They are all learning and trying their best. But the coaches have to put them in a situation to succeed.
The players deserve the lions share of the blame here. Pretty sure they would agree with that. Their defense was poor. There short lineup got in the paint with regularity and our box out on the boards was not good. We shot free throws poorly and we’re extremely careless with the ball. No one stepped up, not even Boo. CCC does have to figure out how to combat a small lineup, because it relegated at least two players in the rotation to the bench. The fact that we couldn’t feed it inside to get bunnies is disturbing. If you want to criticize the Coaching criticize them for not being prepared for small ball. I am knocking the players for the energy which they didn’t have from the get go.

Additionally, the players deserve the lions share of the credit for upsetting Purdue. Players win and lose games 90% of the time. If you give me an All American Team I am going to win 90% of the games by rolling the basketball on the court and I am not a basketball 🧙. Defense and rebounding are mostly effort. You could tell the team was off right away.

Yes, it was. Still doesn’t answer the question of what you would do as HC. Try Mullins. Sit Berry. I honestly didn’t see a single player that was up to par. It’s not like he could ride the hot hand as the entire team was in a funk.

Teams lose to inferior teams. Happens every week in college basketball. It’s not as easy as scream as a senior leader or Coach to play harder.

I have been harping all year on how we miss Chase on D. People scoffed at it. Our D is not as good as last year. They had a angle player that destroyed our defense. However, our offense should be as good or better. I am actually more optimistic about our success in the Conference than I was coming into the season.
I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what Collins should have done. However, it sure seemed like the counter to a small lineup is to punish the hell out of them in the paint. In the first half, we had a couple plays where our guards got into the paint and lobbed it to Matt for an easy dunk. Based on what I could see, I am not sure why they couldn't do that almost every time down the court. I know Matt has his limitations, but he certainly can go up for that oop and is actually an ok passer out of the post. I just don't know why we didn't use him to beat them into submission.

If not Matt, then there was also a play in the second half where Brooks posted up his man and scored and easy layup. I don't know if they ever did that again. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Brooks and Martinelli weren't posting up their guys.

I do agree with you entirely about Chase. I've said it on here too.

• Love
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what Collins should have done. However, it sure seemed like the counter to a small lineup is to punish the hell out of them in the paint. In the first half, we had a couple plays where our guards got into the paint and lobbed it to Matt for an easy dunk. Based on what I could see, I am not sure why they couldn't do that almost every time down the court. I know Matt has his limitations, but he certainly can go up for that oop and is actually an ok passer out of the post. I just don't know why we didn't use him to beat them into submission.

If not Matt, then there was also a play in the second half where Brooks posted up his man and scored and easy layup. I don't know if they ever did that again. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Brooks and Martinelli weren't posting up their guys.

I do agree with you entirely about Chase. I've said it on here too.
Yep, I would have pounded it in to Barney to see if he could get in a groove. However, it seemed like our guys weren’t fighting for position as I would have expected with size advantage. There wasn’t the usual aggression from Barney and Martinelli looked off all game. Big Matt needs to stand 5 feet from the hoop and demand it. We can live with him taking 5 foot shots as it will naturally collapse the defense. Defensively our Bigs REALLY struggled yesterday.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I’m going to ask again since I don’t believe it was answered above. why wasn’t Preston playing? Is he injured? Is he in Collins’ doghouse? He Made some meaningful contributions against Purdue.

PWB made a great point in another thread. Preston does well when he is the biggest player in the court.

Collins mentioned he was under the weather, but he couldn't give 5 minutes?

I think Mullins, Clayton and Preston are in the dog house for this year. Only see Nick and Luke off the bench. Brooks will give the other guards rest. Barring injury.

I’m going to ask again since I don’t believe it was answered above. why wasn’t Preston playing? Is he injured? Is he in Collins’ doghouse? He Made some meaningful contributions against Purdue.
We were asking the same question. He was wearing some goggles that he hasn't been wearing all year. I wonder if he has some eye issue.

PWB made a great point in another thread. Preston does well when he is the biggest player in the court.

Collins mentioned he was under the weather, but he couldn't give 5 minutes?

I think Mullins, Clayton and Preston are in the dog house for this year. Only see Nick and Luke off the bench. Brooks will give the other guards rest. Barring injury.
Clayton and Preston are not in the dog house.

Collins said in the post-game interview that Preston "was a little bit under the weather".

Just hope it isn't Covid......

Reactions: Zootcat
Collins said in the post-game interview that Preston "was a little bit under the weather".

Just hope it isn't Covid......
I think we could have used him last night. He’s more mobile, and has better moves around the basket than big Matt, yet he’s still taller than their lineup was.

Chicago State was a good Div 1 team last night. Give them credit. NU looked like they were trying to me. CSU just had all the answers. NU is scratching their heads today on how that team has lost nine games. Good question.

Someone said box-out on the boards was bad. I would call it non-existent. Nicholson kills his size advantage by positioning too close to the basket. If you didn't look at the listed heights you would have thought Chicago State had all the dawgs. NU played small for their size and Chicago State played big.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT