ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for NIU vs. Northwestern

Impressive win by the Cats. Suddenly blew it open in the second half.

Breakout game for Nicholson. Scoring, rebounding and passing.
More a case that the offense decided to get big Matt involved in the offense via the dunk. Its always been there, but the guards never gave up the ball. This was a clear departure from prior game plans as they looked to feed him early and often. Good things will evolve all season from this as it opens up the offense for all 4 players on the court to use the drive and dish vs. drive and score options with big Matt. I didn’t see Brooks make the alley-oops or back doors to Matt, but he is certainly capable. Boo, Berry and Ryan all looked very comfortable working the O with Matt.

More a case that the offense decided to get big Matt involved in the offense via the dunk. Its always been there, but the guards never gave up the ball. This was a clear departure from prior game plans as they looked to feed him early and often. Good things will evolve all season from this as it opens up the offense for all 4 players on the court to use the drive and dish vs. drive and score options with big Matt. I didn’t see Brooks make the alley-oops or back doors to Matt, but he is certainly capable. Boo, Berry and Ryan all looked very comfortable working the O with Matt.
Coach Collins made a curious comment about Matt in the post game presser stating that Matt is working himself back into shape. Was Matt injured over the summer/fall so that he couldn't prepare fully for the season? I don't remember anything about that. But if he truly was not in full playing shape for the first few weeks, that might explain his lack of stats. Hopefully last night's game is the real Matt Nicholson that we will see this year.

Reactions: DaCat
Coach Collins made a curious comment about Matt in the post game presser stating that Matt is working himself back into shape. Was Matt injured over the summer/fall so that he couldn't prepare fully for the season? I don't remember anything about that. But if he truly was not in full playing shape for the first few weeks, that might explain his lack of stats. Hopefully last night's game is the real Matt Nicholson that we will see this year.
I heard the same interview on the way home from the game. Didn’t Collins also say that Matt had been a little banged up? He seemed pretty optimistic that Matt’s going to be more of a force going forward.

Hunger‘s jumpers looked pretty sweet last night. It sounds like there is still some question about his defense, but he did some nice things last night.

Matt started slow last year and started to come around this time. Maybe he needs a few games against opponents to get going.

They just need to clean up a few thing and they should be in every game.

Fun team to watch and cheer for. Great group of kids.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
Clayton had a lower body injury and was wearing that big ass brace. Looks like he had his left hand heavily taped last game, so he probably missed some practice time

Martinelli had the foot injury and missed some practice time.

Not sure about Barkely and Strauss maybe they are banged up as well??

Boo hand the broken wrist and needed surgery.

Lanborg had an ankle and rolled it in a game, but came back.

That's all I heard.

Maybe MN was just a slow starter. If he fi uses like he did last year, I'll take it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT