ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Northwestern vs. Maryland

This is probably the most athletic team I've seen this year. Almost all their players are bigger and stronger than the same position player on our team. Except for center.

Reactions: drewjin
Not that it matters at this point, but it sure seemed like that Maryland shot was released after the buzzer.

NU is 17-29 from 2 and 5-16 from 3, with 7 offensive rebounds.

MD is 12-24 from 2 and 13-21 from 3, with 7 offensive rebounds.

Six turnovers for both teams.

Maryland has risen to the occasion. NU has played pretty well too.

Write this one off to just going up against a team that was just too inspired today

Our 2 out of 3 to close out the year and get a double bye were always more likely to be PSU and RU.
And our ranking jinx continues.

Reactions: DaCat
Even the contested threes are falling.

The scouting report probably said that Maryland is weak from beyond the arc. Today, the scouting report beat us.

Maryland is a tough team at home. They made some threes would a hand in their face. Hats off to them.

Last two games were good learning experience for NU. Toughen them up for both tournaments.

End of Feb and March are fun times for college hoops.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
I guess this was what Purdue and IU fans were bitching about. Around 5 obvious missed calls that really swung things before it got out of hand - the 3 after the out of bounds was particularly egregious.

But when a team that shoots 31% from 3 hits that many at that rate, there’s not much you can do. We needed the Illinois game to make this one less important. Now we’ve gotta get hungry again and come back in the last week to pick up two more wins and the double bye.

BTW - let’s go Bucks.

Maryland is great at home. They shot the heck out of the ball from 3. Tip your cap and say nice job. The refs were not especially that tall ball-headed guy.
This team has responded all year and I expect them too Wednesday against Penn State. A must game? Well it is very important as I want us to get that double-bye. Go get him Wednesday.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
OK the Illini go down at Ohio State. College B-Ball is crazy.
Tough to win on the road in the BIG. We have a true home court advantage now so let's get er down Wednesday.

I guess this was what Purdue and IU fans were bitching about. Around 5 obvious missed calls that really swung things before it got out of hand - the 3 after the out of bounds was particularly egregious.

But when a team that shoots 31% from 3 hits that many at that rate, there’s not much you can do. We needed the Illinois game to make this one less important. Now we’ve gotta get hungry again and come back in the last week to pick up two more wins and the double bye.

BTW - let’s go Bucks.
Not only that, Beran had 3 shots in the second half that literally went in and out of the basket. Audige had one that I remember. Refs missed two calls on back to back MD possessions- kid dribbled out of bound, then passed to a teammate for a wild three that went in. Next possession, kid stops his dribble, drags his pivot foot, then passes to a teammate for another wild three. Swish.
Just not our day.

Not only that, Beran had 3 shots in the second half that literally went in and out of the basket. Audige had one that I remember. Refs missed two calls on back to back MD possessions- kid dribbled out of bound, then passed to a teammate for a wild three that went in. Next possession, kid stops his dribble, drags his pivot foot, then passes to a teammate for another wild three. Swish.
Just not our day.
What about the guy that hooked Nicholson and he got called for it. Ensuing inbound they drained a three.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
What about the guy that hooked Nicholson and he got called for it. Ensuing inbound they drained a three.
Yep I remember that. The other ref was going to call that one the other way. Bunch of clowns.

Collins nearly earned himself a T when the kid dribbled out of bounds, it happened right in front of our bench.

• Angry
Yep I remember that. The other ref was going to call that one the other way. Bunch of clowns.

Collins nearly earned himself a T when the kid dribbled out of bounds, it happened right in front of our bench.
The primary reason he didn’t get it is the refs knew they blew the call. As long as you avoid the magic words, they’ll give you a long leash when they know they’re wrong.

That’s not why we lost. Maryland hit a ton of 3s and played great defense on our guards, especially in the second half. We didn’t handle the pressure - defensive or crowd - well. But it doesn’t help. Out-of-bounds plays shouldn’t be subjective. Especially that clear.

I know I’m being superstitious and every season is unique snowflake, but I swear I’ve seen this movie before: Cats get ranked, Cats lose their next few, including the first one to Illinois.

Gotta buckle down and end the season with some positive momentum.

Surprised nobody mentioned a few things...

The offense struggled because Buie was not able to get past Jahmir Young on the dribble drive. That was huge in this game. Also shows why Young and Pickett will probably be the First team Big Ten guards. Young played like it was personal. 6'1" guard with a 40 inch vertical leap and a dunk over Martinelli - almost shocking to see the aggressiveness.

Nicholson played his best game and was our best player today. Barnhizer was also pretty good. Chase is so emotional he just went off the rails. It always makes me nervous when he gets off to a great start. Ty Berry had some nice plays defensively but has to start scoring more. Same with Beran.

The refs sucked. Barnhizer's 8 foot "airball" was an obvious foul. Guys just don't miss like that. Nicholson didnt appear to travel at midcourt. Nicholson got hooked and they called a foul on him. The ridiculous "ball lands on our bench and Maryland gets a free 3 pointer" - did any call go our way?

In the end, Maryland is a good team and they deserved to win, but we didn't play well.

Surprised nobody mentioned a few things...

The offense struggled because Buie was not able to get past Jahmir Young on the dribble drive. That was huge in this game. Also shows why Young and Pickett will probably be the First team Big Ten guards. Young played like it was personal. 6'1" guard with a 40 inch vertical leap and a dunk over Martinelli - almost shocking to see the aggressiveness.

Nicholson played his best game and was our best player today. Barnhizer was also pretty good. Chase is so emotional he just went off the rails. It always makes me nervous when he gets off to a great start. Ty Berry had some nice plays defensively but has to start scoring more. Same with Beran.

The refs sucked. Barnhizer's 8 foot "airball" was an obvious foul. Guys just don't miss like that. Nicholson didnt appear to travel at midcourt. Nicholson got hooked and they called a foul on him. The ridiculous "ball lands on our bench and Maryland gets a free 3 pointer" - did any call go our way?

In the end, Maryland is a good team and they deserved to win, but we didn't play well.
Actually it was an over and back at half court. But the ball never went over half court and Nicholson came back over to MD end of court before he touched it. Only thing I can figure is that they might say he was on the other side and was in the air but had not come down so they were saying was since he was not yet established on MD end when he touched it it technically made it over half court. But I always thought it was where the ball was. I thought it was a bad call but not sure of the actual rule... But it sure seemed if there was a questionable call it went MD way every time

Actually it was an over and back at half court. But the ball never went over half court and Nicholson came back over to MD end of court before he touched it. Only thing I can figure is that they might say he was on the other side and was in the air but had not come down so they were saying was since he was not yet established on MD end when he touched it it technically made it over half court. But I always thought it was where the ball was. I thought it was a bad call but not sure of the actual rule... But it sure seemed if there was a questionable call it went MD way every time

You are thinking of Verhoeven. Audige threw from backcourt to midcourt as Verhoeven tried to come back to the ball. Audige threw it too early and Verhoeven tried to jump into the backcourt to establish position, but was in the air when he caught it. Then Audige appeared to bitch at Tydus, when it looked to me to be Audige's bad play.

Nicholson got called for traveling at midcourt immediately after his monster block. Watching live it didn't look like a travel but no replay was shown. Nicholson said something like "I didnt move my pivot" to the ref.

You are thinking of Verhoeven. Audige threw from backcourt to midcourt as Verhoeven tried to come back to the ball. Audige threw it too early and Verhoeven tried to jump into the backcourt to establish position, but was in the air when he caught it. Then Audige appeared to bitch at Tydus, when it looked to me to be Audige's bad play.

Nicholson got called for traveling at midcourt immediately after his monster block. Watching live it didn't look like a travel but no replay was shown. Nicholson said something like "I didnt move my pivot" to the ref.
In other words. just another of many crappy calls that went against us. So many just hard to keep track

In other words. just another of many crappy calls that went against us. So many just hard to keep track
I re-watched the game yesterday, in part because the official play-by-play has Nicholson trying a 3 pointer and I couldn't believe I had missed it.... but it was the official scorer who was hallucinating, not me.

but the refs really kcked our asses. Reese plowed into Beran right under the basket and started wrestling with him and they called a foul on Beran. Robbie's loud "I didn't do anything!" can be clearly heard on the broadcast.

Maryland's guard was dribbling the ball and lost it, then went and picked it up at midcourt, then started dribbling again. Buie stood at midcourt doing a "double dribble" dance and the guy goes in and makes a 3 pointer. It was a blatantly obvious double dribble.

They called an over and back violation on Buie when Barnhizer threw him a bad pass... but Buie didnt step into the backcourt.

I'd estimate 8-10 bad calls in favor of Maryland.

• Sad
I re-watched the game yesterday, in part because the official play-by-play has Nicholson trying a 3 pointer and I couldn't believe I had missed it.... but it was the official scorer who was hallucinating, not me.

but the refs really kcked our asses. Reese plowed into Beran right under the basket and started wrestling with him and they called a foul on Beran. Robbie's loud "I didn't do anything!" can be clearly heard on the broadcast.

Maryland's guard was dribbling the ball and lost it, then went and picked it up at midcourt, then started dribbling again. Buie stood at midcourt doing a "double dribble" dance and the guy goes in and makes a 3 pointer. It was a blatantly obvious double dribble.

They called an over and back violation on Buie when Barnhizer threw him a bad pass... but Buie didnt step into the backcourt.

They missed a charge call on berry too. Was clearly an offensive foul as he was set.

They missed a charge call on berry too. Was clearly an offensive foul as he was set.
oh yeah. That one hurt because Nicholson tore the ball out of the shooters hand just as he (the shooter) was plowing into Berry. So it ws going to be our ball regardless.

• Sad

In other words 5 on 8

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT