ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: No. 10 Illinois vs. Northwestern

I watched it on delay without knowing the score, and I think that’s the most fun I’ve ever had watching an NU game. So many guys taking star turns. (Holy jeez, that little Berry bounce to an Nicholson dunk in the last three minutes was just perfect.) Intensity of the crowd pulsating through the TV. Boo is just transcendent.

Illinois is physically imposing, and this wasn’t a case of NU “wanting it more”. Both teams scrapped all night, and Boo made two fantastic plays at the end of regulation, and then NU earned the blowout. How g-d fun.

Nicholson beat Hawkins like a drum. He probably got upset about that. Probably got tired of eating his own shots near the basket. Had to run away to do anything productive. Just couldn't play the man's game tonight.

My favorite play in a night of many good plays was Ty Berry leveling "the guy who shouldn't have been playing" with a forearm to the face.

After all the crap Domask was giving Berry in the first game, really proud of Ty for beating the hell out of people tonight. Illinois was bush league and disrespectful in the first game. Came right back at them tonight.

The Illini wilted and whined when we punched back.

And the icing on the cake was Robbie Hummel (who is almost never wrong unless he is doing a Purdue game) complaining that Berry made a clean attempt to block a shot and that is not a flagrant foul - the rule needs to be changed. "He could have just hauled off and punched him in the face, but thats not what he did - he was trying to block a dunk attempt."

Nicholson beat Hawkins like a drum. He probably got upset about that. Probably got tired of eating his own shots near the basket. Had to run away to do anything productive. Just couldn't play the man's game tonight.

My favorite play in a night of many good plays was Ty Berry leveling "the guy who shouldn't have been playing" with a forearm to the face.

After all the crap Domask was giving Berry in the first game, really proud of Ty for beating the hell out of people tonight. Illinois was bush league and disrespectful in the first game. Came right back at them tonight.

The Illini wilted and whined when we punched back.

And the icing on the cake was Robbie Hummel (who is almost never wrong unless he is doing a Purdue game) complaining that Berry made a clean attempt to block a shot and that is not a flagrant foul - the rule needs to be changed. "He could have just hauled off and punched him in the face, but thats not what he did - he was trying to block a dunk attempt."

So the flagrant call was legit? They didn't show a replay at the game.

Reactions: drewjin and Sec.112
It was legit per the letter of the law, but Hummel thought the law needs to be changed. It was a hard foul, no doubt, and because it hit him in the face and Shannon was crying on the floor for a few minutes, the refs had no choice but to call a flagrant.

It was legit per the letter of the law, but Hummel thought the law needs to be changed. It was a hard foul, no doubt, and because it hit him in the face and Shannon was crying on the floor for a few minutes, the refs had no choice but to call a flagrant.
Yeah I still question it. Yeah there was contact to the face. But how does responsibility for the contact come into play? I can't just throw my face into someone's arm and claim it's a foul. Ty was clearly trying a clean play.

Underwood is an ass who kills irony by lecturing anyone on how to behave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT