ADVERTISEMENT

Gardner Wallace and Pickerington Central ...

GOUNUII

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2004
Down 44-3 at the half to Cincy St. Xavier in the Ohio big school state championship game.

Central was heavily favored.

GOUNUII

GCL South teams are hard to beat. Though it pains me to see St. X doing well.

GCL South teams are hard to beat. Though it pains me to see St. X doing well.

X was outplayed by both Lakota West and Springfield earlier in the playoffs, but got some fortunate breaks to advance to the championship game. Then they unloaded on the favorite. Pick Central never had a chance.

My 3 sons went to X. All proud members of the Long Blue Line. 😊

I'm a Cleveland St. Ignatius Pigskin alumnus; my baby bro' is a Cleveland St. Eds Pigskin HOFer. I went to NU, he went to the Noted Dames. Graduated couple of years before the OHSAA launched the Division-segregated HS State Football Playoffs in '73. Between St. Igs, St. Eds, Hoban, St. X & Moeller, most Division 1 Public School HS teams just can't compete because the Catholic teams perennially draw the best of the best talent in Ohio who possess the ambition to play NCAA Division 1A football. About 25-plus years ago, OHSAA re-kindled the Ohio-PA All Star game as a competitive showcase for that relative talent. Ohio has had the better of PA for over a dozen years with some exceptions. I'd stack Ohio Big HS football talent with TX, CA & FL any time. Mich-a-gag & State Penn constantly poach that Catholic program talent. The Noted Dames teams usually sign 5-6 or more per year from that top talent pool. NU will draw @ 2-4 on any given year. There's a reason those college teams are consistently competitive season to season. Deep, rabid & proud affiliation to one's Ohio HS Alma Mater is engrained in a footballer's DNA. Has always been that way since WWII. U of Cincy draws 50% of its schollie players exclusively from a 30-mile radius around Cincy with its Catholic HS Powerhouse programs & that recruiting success has kept them in or near the NCAA top 25 ranks over the last 20 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: runawayCat
X was outplayed by both Lakota West and Springfield earlier in the playoffs, but got some fortunate breaks to advance to the championship game. Then they unloaded on the favorite. Pick Central never had a chance.

My 3 sons went to X. All proud members of the Long Blue Line. 😊
Go Big Moe!! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT