ADVERTISEMENT

Photos of Ryan Field Demolition/Construction

pschatz25

Nov 29, 2005
As I passed the stadium this morning I saw the first noticeable demolition. The brick exterior wall of the ticket office was starting to be taken down. I'm not aware of NU setting up a webcam for this project, like they did with WRA. However, I pass the stadium nearly every day and plan to occasionally post pictures so others can track the progress. I hope others will contribute pictures as well. Most of my pictures will be taken from a moving bus on Central St. so it'll be a limited view of the site.

EDIT: After a second look the wall is still standing. It was obscured by a large piece of equipment when I passed by yesterday. There had been activity over the last couple of weeks that seemed like they were clearing out the interior of the ticket office. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the first sections to go when the demolition does begin.

EDIT2: NU sent an email this morning saying the demolition was set to begin.

Here are a few pictures from the past week, mostly of staging equipment and erecting the perimeter fence. Maybe at some point I'll figure out how to embed images here. :)

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Last edited:
I’m still shocked that the athletic department isn’t selling anything let alone doing anything for season tix holders.
I was told they are likely going to give pieces of the field to STHs but that was in December so who knows now.

They don’t even have the demolition permit yet from the city.

For our fearless AD Gagg even the smallest of tasks takes a very long time. Something seemingly simple as selling stadium remnants as souvenirs is of monumental proportions for our AD and the Shill administration. They probably haven’t even thought of it yet.

For our fearless AD Gagg even the smallest of tasks takes a very long time. Something seemingly simple as selling stadium remnants as souvenirs is of monumental proportions for our AD and the Shill administration. They probably haven’t even thought of it yet.
This doesn't even cross his mind. This is such an opportunity to engage a beleaguered fan base and help restore some confidence/positivity. Heck you might even attract some new fans. The man simply doesn't care and doesn't have the skills to deliver. He is also (from all accounts) an introvert and avoids contact, so not really a recipe for success or growth.

Staging takes a very long time. As does stuff like asbestos removal, etc.
That is not the reason for Evanston's delay in issuing the permits. There are other politics involved with those still opposed to the overall demo

The whining nimbies who moved in nearby and the environmental activists are the issue in play with the delay

This doesn't even cross his mind. This is such an opportunity to engage a beleaguered fan base and help restore some confidence/positivity. Heck you might even attract some new fans. The man simply doesn't care and doesn't have the skills to deliver. He is also (from all accounts) an introvert and avoids contact, so not really a recipe for success or growth.
He’s actually a pretty nice guy in person even if he’s not a big extrovert. I’ll ask him at the basketball game Sunday what the deal is and throw in a few suggestions.

Reactions: Overly_Invested_Cat
And yet…
Staging occurs regardless. Several council members slowed the process down due to their constituency being opposed to NU's demo plans and those same concerns from the Village of Wilmette.

Notice after COE & VOW agreement the permits were issued.

COE has almost always been very difficult with everything and I too must deal with their BS

COE Building Inspectors & Property Standards will be very strict during demo and construction and almost always tend to be that way. The COE requires permits for almost anything and everything, they make life difficult for everyone

Last edited:
Staging occurs regardless. Several council members slowed the process down due to their constituency being opposed to NU's demo plans and those same concerns from the Village of Wilmette.

Notice after COE & VOW agreement the permits were issued.

COE has almost always been very difficult with everything and I too must deal with their BS

COE Building Inspectors & Property Standards will be very strict during demo and construction and almost always tend to be that way. The COE requires permits for almost anything and everything, they make life difficult for everyone

I’m not here defending the NU administration. They’re a clown show. But caterwauling about a couple-day delay that really doesn’t impact the overall project ain’t it.

• Haha
Reactions: HappyNUyear
He’s actually a pretty nice guy in person even if he’s not a big extrovert. I’ll ask him at the basketball game Sunday what the deal is and throw in a few suggestions.
Maybe "suggest" that they give us an update on where we will play next year..

We have rubble! They've been working under the southeast stands, where a large concession area had been. Maybe they tore up the 'floor' in that area? Who knows. Recent communications from NU and the City make it sound like more significant work will be happening soon.

Pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I don't. Lots of great memories, but that old, stinky edifice made London Tower feel like the Ritz.
I always thought that was part of the charm!
If you build a glorified movie theatre around a football field, it just feels wrong to me.
I want to be uncomfortable. I want the harsh weather.
Keeps the riff-raff out.
And makes the opposing fans miserable.

Only about a quarter of the East side is left. They've returned to the South stands, of which about half have been demolished as of this morning. Matthew Shelton just posted on Twitter or X or whatever it's called a video of work starting on the West side (see 'Link' below). So far the demolition is moving faster than I expected.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Link

It's pretty shocking when traveling east on Central expecting to see the looming stadium facade consuming your view as you past Mustard's but instead there's a large section of blue (or grey this morning) sky. There's still about 30% of the north end of the east stands standing and a small section of the south end. The lower rows of north end of the west side are gone now. I wonder if they'll demolish the NW tower or the Press Box first. My seats in section 130 row 61 are still intact for now.

Rich (BB code):
Rich (BB code):

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT