ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Field demolition to begin next week

pschatz25

Nov 29, 2005
It's happening.

EDIT: The Evanston History Center posted a multi-part series on the history of football playing fields at NU that was pretty interesting. I didn't know there had been so much controversy about building Dyche Stadium/Ryan Field in the first place. A lot of the debate discussed in the series could have easily come from the 2020s instead of the 1920s.

Last edited:
I'll give some credit to the State Historic Preservation Office for helping move this along without extra hearings and keeping their requests simple.

Should be able to stick to the intended timeline of having the new RF ready to go by August 2026.

Great news.

Personal memories from Pont to Braun, remnds me of Abe Lincoln's story of the boy's reply who was asked how he felt after stubbing his toe in the dark
" it hurts too much to laugh but I'm too old to cry about it" excuse me gotta get a tissue.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeek55 and phatcat
Anyone see anything happening to the old ballpark yesterday? This is the week......
It's gonna be a slow multi-month teardown. They're not using explosives or wrecking balls; more just tearing it down wall by wall with the machinery, etc.

I pass the stadium pretty much every day. So far they've mostly been staging equipment. As of this morning the perimeter fence hasn't been erected. I assume they won't do any significant demolition until that's in place. I did notice they put some wood around the trunk of the large tree outside the southeast corner of the stadium, so that tree will live on. Anyway, I'll try to post occasional pictures when things start happening.

Do you think they'd give me the Fitzgerald placard that is affixed to the upper deck facade?
Guessing that will be the first thing removed - and Schill will be there in his hardhat.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
As of 1/30/24 no demo as of yet. No wrecking ball or explosives will be used. Demo expected to take at least 4-months per GC (General Contractor). No fencing/barricades up either, the one's up were removed.

They are doing work inside the stadium to prepare for the wrecking ball and i saw them digging out some concrete from Walker Way yesterday.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Looks like things will be happening, just got following e-mail...

Thank you for your continued support of Northwestern Athletics and our men’s basketball program.

We are writing to let you know of the potential impact on gameday parking in the East lot over the coming weeks (we anticipate no impact on the West Lot).

While we are awaiting more information on the timing and extent of this impact, rest assured that as a season ticket holder with parking privileges, you will continue to have parking for Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Once more details are finalized, we will communicate with you as soon as possible to ensure your gameday experience is minimally affected.

Should you have any immediate questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (888) 467-8776 and cat-tix@northwestern.edu

Dynamite? How will they get all that concrete out without that or a wrecking ball? Jack hammers?
No explosives or wrecking balls, just big machinery tearing things down to minimize vibrations.

NU had to agree to monitor and minimize vibrations coming off the site.

It's a big part of why the build is 2.5 years instead of 1.5 years.

Demolition will take 4 months or so.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
FROM Evanston Now Article:

One stadium neighbor, who supports the construction, wondered if there would be a giant implosion of the old stadium, which people might find interesting to watch.

But the answer is no.

Musial said “there will be no wrecking balls, no explosions.”

The old facility will be taken down pretty much the same way it was put up, mechanically, that is … “piece by piece.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT