ADVERTISEMENT

Garoppolo

Did we offer Garopplo back in the day ..?
I live 4 blocks from his family. He didn’t even play QB when he started HS. Jimmy was a late bloomer. I saw jimmy and Baz in HS and Baz was light years better. Jimmy worked his ass off and just kept getting better. I cant blame the staff here or consider this a miss. Honesty, if he was our QB coming in, I would have been skeptical. It turns out I would have been wrong.

Didn’t he get drafted off his performance at our pro camp?

Didn’t he get drafted off his performance at our pro camp?

Gonna guess his 13,000+ career passing yards including senior year with 5,050 yards with a 53:9 TD:INT ratio while winning the Walter Camp Award had a little more to do with his draft stock than his performance at NU's pro day.

Reactions: mikero3
I live 4 blocks from his family. He didn’t even play QB when he started HS. Jimmy was a late bloomer. I saw jimmy and Baz in HS and Baz was light years better. Jimmy worked his ass off and just kept getting better. I cant blame the staff here or consider this a miss. Honesty, if he was our QB coming in, I would have been skeptical. It turns out I would have been wrong.
Where do you live PPD? I live two blocks from Arlington race track. Are we neighbors? I go to church at Our Lady of the Wayside. You must live right near nwchospital?? I think I saw Baz play too. He played for St. Viator right?? My former brother in law coaches RMeadows basketball varsity. He's a great guy named Kevin. I only saw Jimmy play at Meadows once. I never realized he would be such a talent.

No. He wanted to come to NU. My recollection is his HS head coach reached out but we showed limited interest. A big miss.
A bigger miss was Drew Brees. He had the grades and test scores for NU. Did Jimmy?? I think Drew hurt his knee in hs and wore a brace- that scared off a bunch of people. Purdue was his only bigtime offer from what I remember. I went to Purdue for grad school. Glad we got him and not somebody else like Mich/osu etc.etc. But I would have been happier to see him have played for NU.

Reactions: drewjin
Where do you live PPD? I live two blocks from Arlington race track. Are we neighbors? I go to church at Our Lady of the Wayside. You must live right near nwchospital?? I think I saw Baz play too. He played for St. Viator right?? My former brother in law coaches RMeadows basketball varsity. He's a great guy named Kevin. I only saw Jimmy play at Meadows once. I never realized he would be such a talent.
And I play hockey at the Sports Complex on Owl Drive - walking distance from Rolling Meadows High School. Small (ish) world.

Reactions: mickbula
Right now about 1 mile from Arlington Park. Did live a few blocks away at one time. Across from the cook County court house. My buddy coached at Saint Viator when Baz played, I got to go on the sideline for games if I wanted too, Baz was a one man show. A tough kid that willed his way to wins. One of my all time NU favorites for a variety of reasons.

I never met Jimmy, but I know several people that did, his father was a blue collar electrician that is described as a normal humble guy. Never heard a bad word about the family, salt of the earth. I will be rooting hard for Jimmy, hope he crushes it.

Right now about 1 mile from Arlington Park. Did live a few blocks away at one time. Across from the cook County court house. My buddy coached at Saint Viator when Baz played, I got to go on the sideline for games if I wanted too, Baz was a one man show. A tough kid that willed his way to wins. One of my all time NU favorites for a variety of reasons.

I never met Jimmy, but I know several people that did, his father was a blue collar electrician that is described as a normal humble guy. Never heard a bad word about the family, salt of the earth. I will be rooting hard for Jimmy, hope he crushes it.
Baz's game against Iowa and Chad Greenway is one of my favorite memories at Ryan Field! Loved heckling the poor Hawkeye saps as they walked through the rain back towards their cars.

Reactions: Medill '03
JG's HS coach drove all the way to campus to deliver Jimmy's tape (and plead his case), but JG was also at a 1-day camp.

Why would the decision to offer or not offer JG be up to MacPherson?

If Fitz liked him as much as he said he did, shouldn't he have over-ridden Matt?

A bigger miss was Drew Brees. He had the grades and test scores for NU. Did Jimmy?? I think Drew hurt his knee in hs and wore a brace- that scared off a bunch of people. Purdue was his only bigtime offer from what I remember. I went to Purdue for grad school. Glad we got him and not somebody else like Mich/osu etc.etc. But I would have been happier to see him have played for NU.

The difference w/ the miss on DB, is that JG was a local kid and the staff knew about him and had a lot more access to info. about JG.

Along the same lines, one could say that the BB program missed out on recruiting Jeremy Lin, but the school that really missed out on him was Stanford (and to a lesser extent, Cal).

Reactions: corbi296
So got curious during the game...essentially we had Persa, Colter, Semien, and Evans...at qb in 2010 does that fit the correct time line.? It has to be tough looking at a ton of high school kids and trying to determine who is going to be the jack pot...
.I thought Garrapalo had 3 1/2 really good quarters last night

You are neighbors w my sister ‍♂️

Reactions: mickbula
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT