ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Dickerson ready to fill Vitale's shoes

Anybody know how Garret compares to Vitale in the basic measureables? He is taller, right? how about speed and strength and things?

Garrett is an about inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than Dan was last season. However, I think Dan was both stronger and faster. Good ol' No. 40 is an elite athlete.

Garrett is an about inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than Dan was last season. However, I think Dan was both stronger and faster. Good ol' No. 40 is an elite athlete.
Garrett is supposed to be an elite athlete too, Yes?

It's hard to tell with Garrett because he hasn't gotten too many touches with the ball. Seems like he isn't quite as agile or fast as Dan, I recall a screen play they ran to Garrett last year that clearly showed he's not that kind of player. Physically he's about 1-2" taller and 5-10 pounds heavier and has always shown good skill blocking. I think he is closer to a more traditional TE than Dan was and would be very successful in a different offense where he could play at 250-260 and primarily function as a blocker.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the NU spread will ever maximize his potential, although I still think he will do well over the next couple seasons. Given the Oline's deficiencies I think he will play an important role in the run game blocking on the edge while also being enough of a threat in the passing game to keep linebackers from playing him too aggressively.

He could very well still make it to the pros even if he isn't a "playmaker". He's got the right size for the position and if he can show that he's effective on short routes and be a factor on third down then I think he will make it.

Garrett is supposed to be an elite athlete too, Yes?

Don't get me wrong: I think Dickerson is a very good athlete. I just don't think he's on Vitale's level. Vitale is a pretty special package of size and speed, and they asked him to line up a lot of different places and do a lot of different things. Dickerson will be utilized differently -- he'll be an inline tight end who will be dangerous as a receiver in his own right. He is more of a prototypical NFL tight end than Dan was.

The fact that Vitale is on an NFL roster says all one needs to know about his athletic skills.

And he got there by and large based on those athletic talents rather than otherworldly production. Dan put on a show at the Combine that is hard to beat:

Height: 6007
Weight: 239
40: 4.60
20: 2.69
10: 1.61
225: 30 reps
Vertical: 38.5"
Broad: 10'3"
SS: 4.12
3-cone: 7.12

Those are really kind of freaky numbers for a guy that size, even by the NFL's standards.

And he got there by and large based on those athletic talents rather than otherworldly production. Dan put on a show at the Combine that is hard to beat:

Height: 6007
Weight: 239
40: 4.60
20: 2.69
10: 1.61
225: 30 reps
Vertical: 38.5"
Broad: 10'3"
SS: 4.12
3-cone: 7.12

Those are really kind of freaky numbers for a guy that size, even by the NFL's standards.
Mos def. He really was not on the radar until that performance.

Mos def. He really was not on the radar until that performance.

He was definitely on the radar before the Combine. That's why he was invited to the Combine in the first place.

His performance likely moved him from the 7th/UFA pool to the 5-6th round pool.

I went to Vitale's HS (I'm older by 4 years), talked to my HS baseball coach (his QB coach) about him at the Iowa game last year in the East lot and he said back then that most people in the know assumed he'd be a draft pick

It's amazing to me that he was so lightly recruited. NU was Vitale's only P5 offer. I realize his size made him a tweener, but schools could have recruited him as a linebacker or even a safety with his speed.

It's amazing to me that he was so lightly recruited. NU was Vitale's only P5 offer. I realize his size made him a tweener, but schools could have recruited him as a linebacker or even a safety with his speed.

I personally really, really wanted him at LB. He was being recruited back when NU's defenses weren't all that great and thought with his build/athleticism he coulda been a really good one. Glad things turned out the way they did though.

What's Ifeadi Odenigbo tipping the scales at these days?

I personally really, really wanted him at LB. He was being recruited back when NU's defenses weren't all that great and thought with his build/athleticism he coulda been a really good one. Glad things turned out the way they did though.

What's Ifeadi Odenigbo tipping the scales at these days?
Some friends and I have often discussed that he might have been a good FB, especially in short yardage situations or in the "red zone".

Some friends and I have often discussed that he might have been a good FB, especially in short yardage situations or in the "red zone".

Funny - my friends and i thought he might make an effective tight end or fullback, kind of a hybrid player that could both block and catch passes giving the offense some versatility and different looks. [sarasm off]

It's hard to tell with Garrett because he hasn't gotten too many touches with the ball. Seems like he isn't quite as agile or fast as Dan, I recall a screen play they ran to Garrett last year that clearly showed he's not that kind of player. Physically he's about 1-2" taller and 5-10 pounds heavier and has always shown good skill blocking. I think he is closer to a more traditional TE than Dan was and would be very successful in a different offense where he could play at 250-260 and primarily function as a blocker.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the NU spread will ever maximize his potential, although I still think he will do well over the next couple seasons. Given the Oline's deficiencies I think he will play an important role in the run game blocking on the edge while also being enough of a threat in the passing game to keep linebackers from playing him too aggressively.

He could very well still make it to the pros even if he isn't a "playmaker". He's got the right size for the position and if he can show that he's effective on short routes and be a factor on third down then I think he will make it.

I hope you are right but I seriously doubt Dickerson's NFL potential as a TE. While I caught a glimpse of him in the Big Ten Network Highlights from the other day and he did look much bigger, the biggest issue with Dickerson has always been his hands. To date, they have not been very good, albeit the sample size is small. He would need to make a quantum leap in that area to even have a shot at being an NFL TE. Based on my experience, that is unlikely because good, soft hands are something you have or you don't. They are hard to develop. Unless Dickerson makes a significant improvement in this area, I have some real concerns about our TE production this year if Taylor is indeed out of the picture. I would argue that considering our LB depth, the coaches should strongly consider moving Tommy Vitale permanently over to the offensive side of the ball to become the heir apparent to his brother.

I hope you are right but I seriously doubt Dickerson's NFL potential as a TE. While I caught a glimpse of him in the Big Ten Network Highlights from the other day and he did look much bigger, the biggest issue with Dickerson has always been his hands. To date, they have not been very good, albeit the sample size is small. He would need to make a quantum leap in that area to even have a shot at being an NFL TE. Based on my experience, that is unlikely because good, soft hands are something you have or you don't. They are hard to develop. Unless Dickerson makes a significant improvement in this area, I have some real concerns about our TE production this year if Taylor is indeed out of the picture. I would argue that considering our LB depth, the coaches should strongly consider moving Tommy Vitale permanently over to the offensive side of the ball to become the heir apparent to his brother.

Trey Pugh seems like a good candidate for the pass-catcher role while Eshoo seems more the in-line type.

Dickerson had a really nice play in the Stanford game that setup the Thorsen touchdown. Then, against Penn State, had a big catch early but then he dropped one wide open on 3rd down on about the five yard line. Matching Vitale's consistency will be a challenge!

Maybe Cam Green can add the pass catching dimension this year to the SB position.

Yea that's kind of what I meant. He's got NFL size, and has some skills that might translate to that level at that position but he still has a lot to prove before he gets there. What I was getting at is that he might not "wow" while playing at NU but could get drafted anyway given that his skill set might be more suited to pro style

Yea that's kind of what I meant. He's got NFL size, and has some skills that might translate to that level at that position but he still has a lot to prove before he gets there. What I was getting at is that he might not "wow" while playing at NU but could get drafted anyway given that his skill set might be more suited to pro style

Consistently catching the ball is a skill set that is required for a TE at any level of football, especially at the Pro level.

Wasn't Dickerson a DE offer at most places? I recall that it was a surprise that he was listed as a [redacted] when he committed.

I think Dickerson's talented, but he's not a perfect fit in the offense. I've never seen game-breaking potential with him, though there's something to be said for lining up in the slot and knocking a dude down or making an eight yard grab.

Consistently catching the ball is a skill set that is required for a TE at any level of football, especially at the Pro level.
The TEs you know by name all consistently catch the ball, but there are second and third TEs on many NFL rosters whose main job is to block and don't often get many targets in a game.

Wasn't Dickerson a DE offer at most places? I recall that it was a surprise that he was listed as a [redacted] when he committed.

I think Dickerson's talented, but he's not a perfect fit in the offense. I've never seen game-breaking potential with him, though there's something to be said for lining up in the slot and knocking a dude down or making an eight yard grab.

Seems like he would be a load to get to the ground.

Reactions: CatsDad
The TEs you know by name all consistently catch the ball, but there are second and third TEs on many NFL rosters whose main job is to block and don't often get many targets in a game.

Those guys weigh 280 lbs and are basically glorified OL. By the way, those guys can consistently catch a 5 yard out without bobbling the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT