ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barnett would be proud

In as much as it is enjoyable to beat Iowa. One loss to them hurt more than the others. Remember our last BIG championship when they beat us. 2000. They stopped us from going to the Rose bowl and having the BIG championship outright. I believe Purdue went to Pasadena. Not us. Sad. So I think our recent wins are a sort of redemption of sorts.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Mission accomplished, I say.

We have arrived according to Coach Gary's definition.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/i-am-tired-of-losing-to-northwestern.207880/
Especially enjoyed that their misery is extending to basketball.

Here is more:

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...erentz-iowa-hawkeye-football-isnt-fun-anymore

"Our offense feels like a high schooler that forgot to do his homework, and realized it 40 minutes before he needs to turn it in."

"This is not an Overeaction Monday post. You’re just stating a fact. In person, that game was complete dreck. At no point did I think, "This game is fun to watch. I’m having a blast!" It was a pillow fight, start to finish. Eventually someone had to win."

Last edited:
One of my favorite Cat fan memories was 2009, we had moved their recently, and I had my flag up. Later, some guy said "tough game today", even though we had won. I realized he thought it was a Northern Iowa flag.

So I happened to leave on business travel the week of the Iowa game, the famous Corey Wootton sack game. I had left the flag up, and it was up for like 2 and a half weeks. Needless to say, people knew what that purple flag meant after that.

We had a guy doing work on our basement, and he told me later that he did not work during the period. He said, "I'm not going in there with that f***ing flag up!"

Priceless

Especially enjoyed that their misery is extending to basketball.

Here is more:

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...erentz-iowa-hawkeye-football-isnt-fun-anymore

"Our offense feels like a high schooler that forgot to do his homework, and realized it 40 minutes before he needs to turn it in."

"This is not an Overeaction Monday post. You’re just stating a fact. In person, that game was complete dreck. At no point did I think, "This game is fun to watch. I’m having a blast!" It was a pillow fight, start to finish. Eventually someone had to win."

Pretty much EVERY B1G fan base expects to beat NU. When they lose it is always the same narrative that NU is not good and we just played bad. Very used to it. Keep taking the L Akrum and fans, this isn't 1982.

Pretty much EVERY B1G fan base expects to beat NU. When they lose it is always the same narrative that NU is not good and we just played bad. Very used to it. Keep taking the L Akrum and fans, this isn't 1982.

That's not true anymore. Illinois, IU and Purdue do not feel like they should beat us. If Iowa and Wisconsin feel that way, they need to look at the record for the last 20+ years.

Rutgers and Maryland never felt that way I imagine. And even Nebraska and probably MSU looks at us generally as a tough out.

Our own fanbase however, has this inferiority complex that hearkens back to our futility during the Dark Ages. I fear we'll never get used to being anything different. Kinda like basketball where most fans are still in a dream about being the #18 ranked team going in per Pomeroy.

That's not true anymore. Illinois, IU and Purdue do not feel like they should beat us. If Iowa and Wisconsin feel that way, they need to look at the record for the last 20+ years.

Rutgers and Maryland never felt that way I imagine. And even Nebraska and probably MSU looks at us generally as a tough out.

Our own fanbase however, has this inferiority complex that hearkens back to our futility during the Dark Ages. I fear we'll never get used to being anything different. Kinda like basketball where most fans are still in a dream about being the #18 ranked team going in per Pomeroy.

Read their boards, they STILL feel like they should routinely beat us. Purdue might be an exception in recent past, but they now pencil us in as a win. Read Lou's piece each week on the opponent, which always includes a prediction. Their writer almost always take their own team and these guys might be more balanced than nut job fan bases.

Same thing in BBall this year, Illinois projected for 11th, but most of their fans think they are better than us.

Same thing in BBall this year, Illinois projected for 11th, but most of their fans think they are better than us.

Wow that's some grade A delusion right there . They lost 75% (75%!) of their scoring to graduation or transfer last season. They'll be fortunate for us not to hang 100 on them...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT