ADVERTISEMENT

Get your QB fix here

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017

No surprise, every QB gets at least one appearance: Hunter Johnson and T.J. Green obviously, but also Aiden Smith and Andrew Marty, plus Jason Whittaker rushing the ball.

Reactions: Titanium999
I remember saying we would have this ridiculous QB battle as soon as I came back to this board over the winter. And instead of giving the most talented 2 QB's almost all the reps, we would be screwing around and hurting the development of Johnson. We also are pretending there is some positive to hiding who will be the starter. Which is also silly. They will both run the same boring, fricken offense that we have run since Mick was named OC. Johnson will just run it better, although Green does have a huge advantage with the offense because Hunter was just the scout team QB with Green getting 30 percent of the reps. With that said...we can't win with Green.

We never change anything offensively...ever. So secrecy on who the starter is does nothing.

Reactions: drewjin
I remember saying we would have this ridiculous QB battle as soon as I came back to this board over the winter. And instead of giving the most talented 2 QB's almost all the reps, we would be screwing around and hurting the development of Johnson. We also are pretending there is some positive to hiding who will be the starter. Which is also silly. They will both run the same boring, fricken offense that we have run since Mick was named OC. Johnson will just run it better, although Green does have a huge advantage with the offense because Hunter was just the scout team QB with Green getting 30 percent of the reps. With that said...we can't win with Green.

We never change anything offensively...ever. So secrecy on who the starter is does nothing.

Relax. Hunter will be fine. Sounded poised and self-confident in the press conference today. Sounds like the QB room is a good one. TJ will be Hunter’s biggest supporter and be ready to go if needed.

Relax. Hunter will be fine. Sounded poised and self-confident in the press conference today. Sounds like the QB room is a good one. TJ will be Hunter’s biggest supporter and be ready to go if needed.
I didn't think he sounded all that great in Lou's report of their interview. I got the feeling he thought Green had a step up on him in understanding the system. I'm not sure we will see Hunter much until next year. Just a feeling but he has been in a different system every year for seven years. his excellent skills kept him impressive but if he can't get a full grasp of the system at this level it will impact his ability to use his skills.

You’re so smart. Our coaches are so dumb :(

I just wish we didn’t have such stupid coaches :/

Reactions: mikewebb68
I didn't think he sounded all that great in Lou's report of their interview. I got the feeling he thought Green had a step up on him in understanding the system. I'm not sure we will see Hunter much until next year. Just a feeling but he has been in a different system every year for seven years. his excellent skills kept him impressive but if he can't get a full grasp of the system at this level it will impact his ability to use his skills.
You can’t be serious.

Relax. Hunter will be fine. Sounded poised and self-confident in the press conference today. .
Very interesting to me that he refuses to comment on his time at Clemson. There were a couple of direct questions and he neatly deflected both. Smart move on his part not to get drawn into useless comparisons. What's the point? Right now CU is on top of the CFB world. A handful of teams are even in the same conversation. NU isn't close, but he seems to love going to school in Evanston.

He was smart enough to run the true Clemson system as a true Freshman and perform well when he came in. In fact, many fans were clamoring for him to supplant Bryant based on his performance in practice and mop up duty.

If HJ doesn’t start it is on the Coaches. Running 5 QB’s with near equal reps in unheard of. Pretty sure HJ was in NU’s playbook plenty even when running the scout team. Fitz is not a dunce. HJ will start and be ready to start. TJ has worked hard to get where he is and deserves credit, but you don’t sign the highest rated recruit in NU history to have him hold a clipboard. Fitz is so good at misdirection that he has NU fans believing HJ will be a back up.

Why is everyone assuming the qb's are getting equal reps? Couldn't our true starting qb be getting the majority of the reps and the rest of this talk is just smoke and mirrors? Also why does it matter? Last time we started a new qb we beat Stanford.

Why is everyone assuming the qb's are getting equal reps? Couldn't our true starting qb be getting the majority of the reps and the rest of this talk is just smoke and mirrors? Also why does it matter? Last time we started a new qb we beat Stanford.

The QBs are not getting equal reps. If you read everything that has been published from yesterday's media day, it's clear that there are two QBs getting almost all the reps in this preseason camp.

Reactions: zeek55

Want to bet Hunter starts every game this season?

Screen name wager? Board ban?

Me: Hunter will be the Week 1 starter and will continue to start in every game (health permitting)

You: T.J. Green will be the Week 1 starter, or Hunter will not perform well and at any point in the season the coaches will bench him for T.J. Green or someone else

Reactions: HappyNUyear
He has been in our system for over a year now. Yes, he spent 14 weeks running the scout team, but had about another 50 weeks to work with our WRs and to study our playbook, watch videos, and generally prepare himself to take over this team. I hope he used his time to our mutual advantage.

Reactions: WildBillcat

I agree with this entirely. First, is it against the rules to have get reps last year? Afraid that some of the others might be butthurt about it?

Also - echoing Mikero, you have to have some split of reps, but if Fitz knows in all honesty that Hunter is very likely the starter, give him the reps.

Reactions: drewjin
I agree with this entirely. First, is it against the rules to have get reps last year? Afraid that some of the others might be butthurt about it?

Also - echoing Mikero, you have to have some split of reps, but if Fitz knows in all honesty that Hunter is very likely the starter, give him the reps.
You can be fairly confident that Hunter is getting the same reps, or more, as any other starter in thd BIG, unless he is hurt...

I’m a husker (grew up) and Northwestern (attended) fan.

Poster on paid Husker board said he is close to former Northwestern players who were told by Fitz that Johnson struggling with offense.

Don’t kill the messenger :)

Poster on paid Husker board said he is close to former Northwestern players who were told by Fitz that Johnson struggling with offense.

If true...even more reason to give him the most reps. He is the most talented QB on the roster by far! Coach him up!

Go poo yourself, you inbred chicken.

Thanks. A poster on a paid Northwestern board mentioned he is close to former UNL players and Adrian Martinez seemed to have taken a huge step back and is out of shape, plus Frost privately believes he has the worst Defense in the Big 10.

Even though I'm an anonymous person on a message board, you should definitely trust me.

I get that it's the silly season but this is taking hyperventilation to another level.

Didn't we just go through the exact same thing last year with CT? Fitz keeps things completely under wraps until the first game. None of this stuff tells you anything about what the QB gameplan will be, so there's no point to reading into it.

Reactions: IGNORE
I don’t appreciate my posts being deleted in this thread, especially since same mods let Husker twat post crap all over our board last night.

Reactions: corbi296
Thanks. A poster on a paid Northwestern board mentioned he is close to former UNL players and Adrian Martinez seemed to have taken a huge step back and is out of shape, plus Frost privately believes he has the worst Defense in the Big 10.

Even though I'm an anonymous person on a message board, you should definitely trust me.
Fine don’t trust the guy. Just passing it along. I’m a wildcat fan. I hope it’s not true.

TJ Green is a senior and HJ is a redshirt-sophmore. It makes more sense even if the competition is close to hand the job to HJ since he has two to three years of contribution to the team. This year is a semi-rebuilding year anyway and next year we will be well-positioned with minimal starter departures. This is a no brainer unless HJ is a total bust which seems nonsensical since he started as a true freshman with Clemson. HJ is the starter and if he's not he's a bust because TJ Green looked below average out there and if he's starting this will be a disaster.

No surprise, every QB gets at least one appearance: Hunter Johnson and T.J. Green obviously, but also Aiden Smith and Andrew Marty, plus Jason Whittaker rushing the ball.

Haven't been around the boards here in a while, but time to pop my head up and squawk a bit before disappearing again. Having been to a number of spring practices and now August, and basically watching the QBs (as well as hearing Fitz' answer on how the QBs are stacking up (specifically #15), here's my opinion (without betraying anything learned in confidence):

-the QB1 announcement will maybe not even be made until as late as possible before the Stanford game
-that's not to say that the coaching staff won't know; they expect to have a good sense coming out of Kenosha
-#15 has looked sharp in August, esp in 7on7s and OvD. He's led the team down the field consistently and impressively
-#15 has an amazingly quick release and the arm strength that Thorsen had. It's the release that amazes me - you just don't see a release that quick everyday and it's what seems to set him apart from the other 5 IMO. He's also technically sound in every area he needs to be.
-my personal guess, based on watching practice and knowing how order and reps determine these things is that #15 is in the driver's seat among the three QBs in contention
-my hope is that the coaching staff knows how to handle this Ferrari we now have for the first time in the stable; MCCall is a good QB coach (despite many knocks here on the board), but this is his first true blue-chip.

Extra commentary about positions I know nothing about: Anderson seems to have the OL fired up, and playing hard. He's a complete change from his predecessor and I like what I see. Fire. All the time.

I'm very excited about this team and this season. Excited enough to go out to Stanford and see what we really have. Fingers crossed.

Haven't been around the boards here in a while, but time to pop my head up and squawk a bit before disappearing again. Having been to a number of spring practices and now August, and basically watching the QBs (as well as hearing Fitz' answer on how the QBs are stacking up (specifically #15), here's my opinion (without betraying anything learned in confidence):

-the QB1 announcement will maybe not even be made until as late as possible before the Stanford game
-that's not to say that the coaching staff won't know; they expect to have a good sense coming out of Kenosha
-#15 has looked sharp in August, esp in 7on7s and OvD. He's led the team down the field consistently and impressively
-#15 has an amazingly quick release and the arm strength that Thorsen had. It's the release that amazes me - you just don't see a release that quick everyday and it's what seems to set him apart from the other 5 IMO. He's also technically sound in every area he needs to be.
-my personal guess, based on watching practice and knowing how order and reps determine these things is that #15 is in the driver's seat among the three QBs in contention
-my hope is that the coaching staff knows how to handle this Ferrari we now have for the first time in the stable; MCCall is a good QB coach (despite many knocks here on the board), but this is his first true blue-chip.

Extra commentary about positions I know nothing about: Anderson seems to have the OL fired up, and playing hard. He's a complete change from his predecessor and I like what I see. Fire. All the time.

I'm very excited about this team and this season. Excited enough to go out to Stanford and see what we really have. Fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for stopping in! Don’t be a stranger!

Reactions: CatQ

I’m with you.

I just think about the players that Johnson competed against at the Show (where he was the run-away selection by the other QBs on who they would pick as their starter aside from themselves) and the Army All-America Game (where he was picked MVP over Tua). And also the reports from Clemson fans from his time there.

I’m definitely thinking someone who is visibly better than Sam Ehrlinger, Kellen Mond, Jacob Fromm, and Kelly Bryant. Someone who may or may not be better than Tua Tagolavoa and not as good as Trevor Lawrence but is going to be in the same area code.

Give him a Kurt Anderson coached OL, a corp of Receivers that are as deep and talented as we’ve ever had, and watch the fireworks. On the other side of the ball, a Hankwitz D - my dream may have finally arrived. High quality production on both sides of the ball, finally. No Colby Swiss when our O is putting up points on everyone. No crap offense when a Hankwitz D is responsible for winning games. Balance and strength on both sides of the ball that we haven’t seen since the 1995-1996 championship seasons and like you see with the likes of Clemson and Bama.

The only question marks in my mind will be the personnel and play calling judgment of Fitz and McCall. Personnel especially at QB because I’m scarred for life by the stubborn Brewer and Colter experiments and keeping Bacher and Siemian on the bench in lieu of far lesser talent. And the play calling has been maddening at times (with a nadir for both personnel and play calling vs. Army). My greatest fear is that they don’t know how to handle the Ferrari and will choose a more “reliable” vehicle or will want to drive it like that Toyota that they are used to cruising. I have some hope in that McCall did let Siemian chuck it some (ND win as an example) and he did have a couple of All-American performers play for him at BGSU. We have an truly lethal weapon, and I hope we use it to it’s full potential. Let it fly. But, I fear we’ll run on first down like we always do and try to dink and dunk our way down the field as always. And run the bubble screen repeatedly even when it doesn’t work.

If HJ however gives McCall and Fitz the confidence to bring Kevin Wilson and Randy Walker potency in our offense back to Evanston, then my friends, we will beat dOSU and win the B1G this fall, and we will contend for the CFP.

Last edited:

You need to post more often; much rather see this kind of informed speculation than all the wild theories that have been flying around.

We have an truly lethal weapon, and I hope we use it to it’s full potential. Let it fly. But, I fear we’ll run on first down like we always do and try to dink and dunk our way down the field as always.

While this would be fun, why take more risk than necessary? Just win.

That is a really good 2500th post. I think I need to go run around the block screaming, "Go Cats!" a few times just to calm down. Thanks. I'm going to read it again now.:)

Reactions: drewjin and CatQ
IMO HJ will start & TJ will be backup.

HJ left Clemson due to an incoming player by the name of Trevor Lawrence, who replaced Bryant, who’s now at Mizzou! If no Trevor Lawrence at Clemson, it’s very possible HJ stays there and some fans get their wish for a QB Competition

Clemson runs a more complex offense then NU too.

football insanity has begun. Lol
Yeah, its like the people who thought that CT wouldn't start, or even play in the first game last season just because FItz didn't come out and say the he would. Knowledgeable posters who are correct here nearly 100% of the time posted until they were blue in the face here that CT would start, but the idiotic speculation comtinued. Some people just believe what they want to believe-- now they are even believing Nebby fans who say they heard something from someone who heard something from former players who Fitz no doubt confides his most secret of game plans and player statuses to. LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!

Reactions: HappyNUyear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT