ADVERTISEMENT

Good luck from the Alaska State Fair for the season ahead

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Here in Alaska the high school football season is already in full swing as the games have to begin early to avoid iced over state championships. The opening of the college football season though coincides with the Alaska State Fair which for this year began today.

No moose sightings yet to report for the month of August, but there comes some Alaska karma from another source as my photo of the summoning of the good luck bringing lion/dragon garnered prize recognition.

IMG_5958_zpsh22nksoy.jpg
IMG_5413_zpsoeeguken.jpg

And here is the lion/dragon that was being summoned when the photo was being taken this summer in Okinawa:

IMG_4452_zpsnirg0uli.jpg

.... and in keeping with my annual Alaska State Fair postings to herald the beginning of the college football season here are some other events from today:

IMG_5964_zpsddulakic.jpg
IMG_5960_zpsydlxlunf.jpg
IMG_5972_zpsx3chsuhk.jpg
IMG_5966_zps4nyqfsmz.jpg
IMG_5962_zps6qkrw6zs.jpg

Last edited:
Was in Okinawa 1959-1960 courtesy of the USMC.

I was surprised to learn how big our military presence continues to be there. It was the only place in Japan that I could sitll find A&W Root Beer - though the thin hot dogs and deliciously soft buns were definitely Japanese style. :)

(Years ago A&W invaded mainland Japan but to many Japanese Root Beer reminded them of some type of Japanese medicine so the chain flopped.)

IMG_4453_zpsghfzqbhj.jpg

Last edited:
Was in Okinawa 1959-1960 courtesy of the USMC.

As was I at that time, WaveJumper, though not with the Marines. My dad also spent time on Okinawa some 15 years earlier under decidedly unpleasant circumstances. He was one of the combat vets who would never speak of it later.

I envy Alaska's opportunity to see the island now, however. A lot of folks paid very heavy prices so Okinawans can enjoy life there today, but I too am surprised at how much military presence U.S. has maintained.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT