ADVERTISEMENT

The Good Luck Omens keep coming - A Rarely seen Sundog appeared in this Morning's Sky

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
While I have seen a few Sundogs before in my life, this morning's reveal was the first time I have ever seen one from my house.

( Not sure if the Alaska Sky Dog has the same power as the Alaska Moose, but the Wildcats did get to overtime in today's Basketball Game against #2 Purdue.)

Today's rare atmospheric phenomenon bringing a Sundog sighting portends-good luck and good fortune which are said to follow from seeing a Sundog in the sky.

This from the Internet:

"Sundogs are relatively rare occurrences, and they can only be seen in certain conditions. They require a high sun angle, cold temperatures, and light cirrus clouds that contain millions of plate-shaped ice crystals."

"Some attribute the word sundog to the Greek, who purportedly believed that the bright lights were the dogs Zeus would walk across the sky. For the Greeks, seeing a sundog was considered to be a sign of good luck, and that sentiment appears to linger in current perception across several cultures."

So hope all enjoy your good luck ahead as you share this morning's sighting by viewing the captured photos.

dso139nnwd1j.jpg

Note - the Sundog is on the left and the sun is on the far right in the above photo.

Here are views focusing in on the Sundog itself:

ul2o7sv2hr4e.jpg

jljaurx426uv.jpg

papx53ed3iro.jpg

2te6x70f0ewi.jpg

Sundog? I think we call those "rainbows." But your colors are different.

I think we have a red-tailed hawk nesting in the tree above our driveway. Saw it last week. It's kind of a thing because we live in the City, albeit right off the lakefront.

I think it means we beat the Gophers this weekend. They are rodents, and hawks eat rodents.

Iowa's hawkeye is not about birds. It's about a character from the novel "The Last of the Mohicans." There is some irony here in that I am not sure all Iowa fans can read. But I guess they can watch Daniel Day Lewis.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT