ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Newsome Update from ND Site (with a side of #HotTake)

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
While the article linked at the bottom of the post contains some interesting insights on Greg Newsome's upcoming visits and recruiting process (most importantly that he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to commit despite an uptick in "crystal ball" picks toward NU), it also cements many of the reasons that NU fans dislike ND:

Iowa and Michigan State may have had recent, noted success within the Big Ten, but the same cannot be said of Northwestern. The Wildcats may not boast similar success, but they have proved that they are not a push-over in the Big Ten. Pat Fitzgerald, an alumni and former linebacker, brings a fire and energy to his team. Northwestern may not have many recent Big Ten championships but they will still put up a fight, as they demonstrated when they beat Stanford in the opening game of the 2015 season. This was the same Stanford team which ended Notre Dame’s playoff hopes.
Pretty ballsy angle for a program coming off a 4-8 season and conveniently goes without mentioning our 2014 victory in South Bend.

Conclusion: Screw those guys. I hope Greg Newsome picks NU despite picking up an ND offer and that Micah Jones ends up decommitting in favor of NU.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/2281/hitting-the-road-greg-newsome

While the article linked at the bottom of the post contains some interesting insights on Greg Newsome's upcoming visits and recruiting process (most importantly that he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to commit despite an uptick in "crystal ball" picks toward NU), it also cements many of the reasons that NU fans dislike ND:

Iowa and Michigan State may have had recent, noted success within the Big Ten, but the same cannot be said of Northwestern. The Wildcats may not boast similar success, but they have proved that they are not a push-over in the Big Ten. Pat Fitzgerald, an alumni and former linebacker, brings a fire and energy to his team. Northwestern may not have many recent Big Ten championships but they will still put up a fight, as they demonstrated when they beat Stanford in the opening game of the 2015 season. This was the same Stanford team which ended Notre Dame’s playoff hopes.
Pretty ballsy angle for a program coming off a 4-8 season and conveniently goes without mentioning our 2014 victory in South Bend.

Conclusion: Screw those guys. I hope Greg Newsome picks NU despite picking up an ND offer and that Micah Jones ends up decommitting in favor of NU.

Even though I would dislike Notre Dame anyway, articles like this make it even easier.

I already said it on the Rock, but I'm saying it here again. NOTRE SHAME IS A COMPLETE JOKE. The 4-8 season notwithstanding, we won 10 games in that same 2015 season. Interesting that they talk about conference championships being a benchmark of success, when they are to cowardly to join a conference and compete for one (they'd probably have as much success as Nebraska). And as you pointed out, they neglect to note our win against them in South Bend. One that extended our supremacy over the crying Irish to two decades. Notre Dame has not beat Northwestern in any of these recruits' lifetimes!

If it weren't for my sister having gone to ND, I would truly despise the Irish. I actually used to root for them back in the early 90's- the last time they actually were good. I remember watching them beat FSU to make themselves #1 in the nation. Then, of course, they lost to Boston College the following week- a team that I watched the Cats beat the very same year. That was the beginning of the resurrection of NU sports. Now I root for ND to lose almost all the time- other than when they play Stanford- a school that rejected me from their graduate school. These days, it is much easier to root for NU. I just hate it when young fellows have difficulty understanding the profound nature of how much better a school Northwestern is in comparison to ND. Sure, if a young man wants to become a priest- then I can see how ND might look more appealing. Although, the recent troubles of the ND players with rapes, dope, guns, academic cheating, and getting into fights with cops might NU's seminary a lot more attractive.

10-ND-NU-3.jpg

BTW, since ND is not infrequently mentioned as an institution which values academics, a Medill F appears in their blurb above.

I wouldn't expect them to mention our victory against them. I'm sure Fitz will do plenty of mentioning it though. Not sure of the last time we actually lost to a private school. TCU?

I wouldn't expect them to mention our victory against them. I'm sure Fitz will do plenty of mentioning it though. Not sure of the last time we actually lost to a private school. TCU?

Depends what you mean by "Private". NU lost to Army in 2011 (ugh). Before that, it was a loss to Syracuse in 2009.

I already said it on the Rock, but I'm saying it here again. NOTRE SHAME IS A COMPLETE JOKE. The 4-8 season notwithstanding, we won 10 games in that same 2015 season. Interesting that they talk about conference championships being a benchmark of success, when they are to cowardly to join a conference and compete for one (they'd probably have as much success as Nebraska). And as you pointed out, they neglect to note our win against them in South Bend. One that extended our supremacy over the crying Irish to two decades. Notre Dame has not beat Northwestern in any of these recruits' lifetimes!

Apparently the Irish don't consider 10 wins in 2015 to be recent success, in contrast to their great teams of 20-plus years ago.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan

"...have proved that..." That should be his decision right there. NU is real college.

Army 2011? The only TCU game I remember ( I was there with willycat, Smithee and MizzouCat) was in 2004.did we play them after that?

Edit - I just saw the post above from Fitzphile

Yes it was a debacle. I hate option teams. Hopefully we don't play Army again. No upside to that game

No sign of Army on any future schedules.

Note that NU is believed to have added Akron on 9/15/2018. Having grown up in the Rubber Capital, I welcome the Zips to the NU schedule, in addition to Duke and ND at Ryan Field in two years time.
Thought I had heard that NU was considering playing Army or Navy in the future. Think the pageantry makes for a great game atmosphere and possibly a good crowd. I was disappointed when the Army game was cancelled because of 9-11. Just wished it could have been rescheduled.

Thought I had heard that NU was considering playing Army or Navy in the future. Think the pageantry makes for a great game atmosphere and possibly a good crowd. I was disappointed when the Army game was cancelled because of 9-11. Just wished it could have been rescheduled.

Close, but no cigar. The canceled game was against Navy.

Reactions: nu greek
ND is a good school but the football program is a mess and the high expectations make it a coaches graveyard. If you want coaches that recruited you to be there when you are playing that is a 50/50 proposition.

I do not understand your comment. We were referring to the game that was canceled in 2001 just after the 9/11 tragedy.
I was commenting on the first part of the statement.

"Thought I had heard that NU was considering playing Army or Navy in the future. Think the pageantry makes for a great game atmosphere and possibly a good crowd."

That was an anticipated future event The BIG had gone to 9 conference games making it more difficult to get in OOC games and a future Navy opponent could have been a victim of that change in BIG policy.

"I was disappointed when the Army game was cancelled because of 9-11. Just wished it could have been rescheduled." was the second part of the statement and I was not referring to it. That he was incorrect of the opponent in the game that had to be cancelled was not relevant to what I was commenting on.

Last edited:
ND is a good school but the football program is a mess and the high expectations make it a coaches graveyard. If you want coaches that recruited you to be there when you are playing that is a 50/50 proposition.
Especially this coach with his lackluster performance in recent years as they have come closer to a conference schedule. Anyone see Kelly remaining long?

Why is everyone so worked up about what a ND homer writes? It really isn't much different than Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State publish. None of them consider us competition for a top recruit. Hell, even Illinois thinks they should get all of the head to head recruits against NU, even after we beat them in head to head recruiting every year.

I got a good feeling about Newsome. Might be wrong, but I expect his visit will go very well. I think we were the only ones getting predictions BEFORE the visit.

Reactions: StreamCat
Yes it was a debacle. I hate option teams. Hopefully we don't play Army again. No upside to that game

Coaches lost the Army game . Experimented with a 3 man front and with a few minutes left in the game, on 3rd and 5, ran Trumpy instead of throwing the ball with Siemian, creating an all or none on 4th down. NU completes more than 50% of their passes therefore Siemian should have been given 2 chances to get the first down

I think Army still owes us a return game at home for the 2011 game at West Point. With future scheduling issues of needing three home nonconference games every even-numbered year when we're playing five Big Ten road games, I'm surprised they haven't called in that chip. Seems like 1-million plus is now the new going price for bringing in a team for a no-return home game.

That Army game sure scarred a lot of people.

The Army game is the only game in the last many years that I was not able to watch even a second of. I had a friend's bachelor party that weekend and just couldn't make it work with my schedule. In hindsight, I couldn't be more glad I missed it.

Well, at least we know he'll be on campus... probably not the best weather day to show off the new Lakefront, but he's a Chicago kid so the weather shouldn't really scare him:

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT