ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Michigan Hate: A Century of Douchebaggery

They were caught red-handed, no question, and yet they come up with all manner of self-justification from everyone else does it to the rules are a joke, starting with their President. That is an institution without integrity and a moral center. They make it easy to dislike them.

Relative to NU and the Bears, clearly that was another era in town-gown relations assuming Evanston was OK with that. I don't think Evanston was quite as wealthy then and perhaps could have used the tax income.
Completely agree. Where is the humility and remorse? I guess it is a sign of the times. Harbaugh even had the balls to call Michigan America’s team! Unbelievable.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and NUCats
Totally agree. Fitz should have gone on paid leave until they got the facts. That being said, I don’t think Fitz would have won 5 games or more this year.
Disagree. Everything this team has done and more would have been accomplished with FItz on board and Braun would be the first one to agree with that statement.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
With Ped State being in our conference and having a former OSU coach who covered up for a wife-beater on his staff, I don't get all that worked up about sign stealing either. A suspension is fine, but let's not pretend like this is world changing stuff.
In the context of the integrity of competition and what actually happens on the field (i.e., what we are fans of and tune in for), this is much, much worse than the above.

In the context of society at large, of course PSU and OSU deserve much more scorn and are gross. But, I’m having a hard time figuring why Michigan should be allowed to keep competing when they’ve essentially called into question the validity of the competition itself.

Reactions: NUCats
In the context of the integrity of competition and what actually happens on the field (i.e., what we are fans of and tune in for), this is much, much worse than the above.

In the context of society at large, of course PSU and OSU deserve much more scorn and are gross. But, I’m having a hard time figuring why Michigan should be allowed to keep competing when they’ve essentially called into question the validity of the competition itself.

Because they are both golden gooses for the Conference. No one wants to rock that boat too hard

Reactions: drewjin
Michigan is absolutely one of the elite academic universities in the country by any measure, so I don't really get what you're saying
They have a very good but decidedly outside of the top tier business school, a top 15 medical school, and their law school is ranked 10th. Great, but I don’t think schools with undergrad programs outside of the top 20 can really be considered elite. Just me.

Reactions: hollandnucat
I understand haters gonna hate. The man won over 100 games here including a ton where we were at a talent disadvantage. I am not going to rehash the reasons the argument makes no sense because it’s been done by a dozen people multiple times and will get the usual rebuff that he only succeeded because of Saint Hank.
The guy went first to last in the division back to back seasons and did so twice in a row. Never heard of such a thing in all my years following CFB, particularly B1G football. Hankwitz doesn't explain the dreadful offensive play, the subpar recruiting and coaching hires, etc. Most of us in here loved to lambast Bajakian ( yours truly included), but now, with Bryant he has opened up the offense in a very nice way! Would that happen under Fitz? Maybe, but I doubt it. Many in here have openly wondered if Bajakian was hobbled by Fitz somewhat and forced to play a toned down offensive style. We may never know, but if it were true, it boggles the mind. Like I have said in the beginning of this post never have I remembered a complete collapse of a program that wasn't due to serious sanctions like SMU, TCU, or PSU. Hankwitz or no Hankwitz, that is on Fitz. His arrogance seemed to rival Harbaugh's, except Harbaugh produced consistently, with the exception of the OSU problem that has now been remedied somewhat. It will be interesting to see who goes after Fitz after this season is done, as it will be a good indicator of how the CFB world thinks of his abilities.

They have a very good but decidedly outside of the top tier business school, a top 15 medical school, and their law school is ranked 10th. Great, but I don’t think schools with undergrad programs outside of the top 20 can really be considered elite. Just me.
Michigan is ranked one spot behind Notre Dame and one spot ahead of Georgetown. ND 20th, Michigan 21st, and Georgetown 22nd. That's elite in my book.

Michigan is ranked one spot behind Notre Dame and one spot ahead of Georgetown. ND 20th, Michigan 21st, and Georgetown 22nd. That's elite in my book.
I put those in the same category of good but not elite. To each his own.

I put those in the same category of good but not elite. To each his own.
Amusing, but, just for the sake of discussion, where do you draw the "elite" line? Is it top 10, top 15, top 19?, pr don't you have an opinion?

Amusing, but, just for the sake of discussion, where do you draw the "elite" line? Is it top 10, top 15, top 19?, pr don't you have an opinion?
One way to think about it is in tiers. The resources and qualifications to gain admission to a school like Princeton is in a different zip code than a school like Michigan or ND. So is the prestige. If you could get an undergrad degree, MBA, MD, and JD from Stanford or Harvard or even Chicago vs. one from Michigan, it’s not a tough call. Michigan is a good school but they are on different planets academically. And yeah you’d be broke and a complete asshole if you had those degrees but for the sake of example!

So it could be top 10 or so depending.

One way to think about it is in tiers. The resources and qualifications to gain admission to a school like Princeton is in a different zip code than a school like Michigan or ND. So is the prestige. If you could get an undergrad degree, MBA, MD, and JD from Stanford or Harvard or even Chicago vs. one from Michigan, it’s not a tough call. Michigan is a good school but they are on different planets academically. And yeah you’d be broke and a complete asshole if you had those degrees but for the sake of example!

Well, Columbia, Cornell, University of Chicago and Dartmouth are going to be disappointed to hear that they are no longer elite pursuant to your ranking system, because they are all outside the top 10. Hell, Dartmouth is only 3 spots ahead of lowly Michigan. Who knew!

Considering there are nearly 4,000 universities in this country, I'd call #21 elite.

A JD degree from Michigan is as good as one from Chicago or Stanford or Northwestern (where I got my JD). Don’t have your animosity to Michigan cloud your judgment.

A JD degree from Michigan is as good as one from Chicago or Stanford or Northwestern (where I got my JD). Don’t have your animosity to Michigan cloud your judgment.
Come on now…when it comes to JDs, Stanford is a tier above Chicago, which is in a tier above NU and Michigan (which are the same tier).

Come on now…when it comes to JDs, Stanford is a tier above Chicago, which is in a tier above NU and Michigan (which are the same tier).
And all else equal, not many would prefer to have Michigan on their diploma given that solution set.

And all else equal, not many would prefer to have Michigan on their diploma given that solution set.
The nice thing is, UM makes it pretty easy to flow from the undergrad into the law school. Not sure you even need to take the LSAT.

Ha Ha, desperation is setting in. Now it's Michigan's law school that your disparaging. I bet I know a lot more about law schools than you do.

The nice thing is, UM makes it pretty easy to flow from the undergrad into the law school. Not sure you even need to take the LSAT.
Interesting and I wasn't aware that was the case, but it would make sense if your undergraduate record was very good.

Well, Columbia, Cornell, University of Chicago and Dartmouth are going to be disappointed to hear that they are no longer elite pursuant to your ranking system, because they are all outside the top 10. Hell, Dartmouth is only 3 spots ahead of lowly Michigan. Who knew!
I didn’t say it was hard and fast top 10. That’s why I wrote “depending”. Top 10 business schools is a stupid ranking. There are clear tiers (Ross isn’t in the top one btw). Top 10 undergrad is also fuzzy.

Considering there are nearly 4,000 universities in this country, I'd call #21 elite.
Mike Bajakian is an elite offensive coordinator then?

We aren’t talking about comparing these schools to Northeast Boone County Barber College bro. It’s all relative.

Interesting and I wasn't aware that was the case, but it would make sense if your undergraduate record was very good.
Illinois had a program like this too, but they got caught fudging numbers and misreporting GPAs and plummeted out of the top 20. This was around 2012/2013 I think.

That’s said, a growing number of schools no longer require the LSAT, to their detriment imo.

We aren’t talking about comparing these schools to Northeast Boone County Barber College bro. It’s all relative.
With this nonsensical post I rest my case! 😂

Reading comprehension, obviously, is not your strong suit. Since when did you become an expert on evaluating law schools and where people would prefer to receive their J.D.
If you are willing to die on the hill of “given the choice, most people would prefer to have a law degree from Michigan than Stanford or Chicago” I won’t argue with you.

There are clear tiers.

If you are willing to die on the hill of “given the choice, most people would prefer to have a law degree from Michigan than Stanford or Chicago” I won’t argue with you.

There are clear tiers.
I withdrew my Michigan application after i received my NU and NYU acceptances.

Funny story: I got waitlisted at Duke while attending NU @ Michigan in 2012. Talked a lot of shit during that game and then had to skedaddle when the worst happened. Still mad at the outcome.

Illinois had a program like this too, but they got caught fudging numbers and misreporting GPAs and plummeted out of the top 20. This was around 2012/2013 I think.

That’s said, a growing number of schools no longer require the LSAT, to their detriment imo.
I agree and don't believe the LSAT should be eliminated, as long as it is only one of the factors considered for admission.

There are clear tiers.
Of course that's not what I said, hence the reading comprehension remark. By the way, from which law school did you graduate?

I was born and raised in Columbus and grew up an Ohio State fan. I thought I was going to Ohio State up until I started seriously considering college choices around my junior year of high school. I ended up picking Northwestern, but as I went through my process, I had Michigan in my Final 8 (but only applied to 6 schools). Anyways, even though I grew up with Michigan hate, when it came to my college decision process, I thought enough of them to seriously consider going there. Michigan is still a great world class university but this episode has tarnished their reputation in my eyes.

It's one thing for rabid fans to act ignorant. It's another for a University President, Athletic Director and others in university leadership to act like they don't understand the difference between legal sign stealing and the breaking NCAA rules by through the extensive advance scouting operation run by the Michigan Manifesto Man Connor Stallions. Then Harbaugh stands up and says that he thought there was innocence until proven guilty. Yes, there is innocence until proven guilty in CRIMINAL COURT, but for civil court and administrative processes, the standard is normally the preponderance of evidence. Hundreds of players and coaches have been suspended or fined without whining this much and only the University of Michigan supposedly needs to be adjudicated up to the Supreme Court?

And then to hear talk that some of the Michigan regents threatened to leave the Big Ten if Harbaugh were disciplined. well, if the rules can't be enforced, then there may as well be no conference. I'm sure that's just posturing but if they want to go, then let them go. Michigan's actions and inaction seem to identify with a toxic culture and lack of institutional control. Is Michigan going to leave the NCAA after it levies an even harsher punishment next year?
I was reading a Michigan board, and I saw a post lamenting all the Michigan hate. I thought this would be a good place to collect all the reasons other Big Ten members dislike Michigan.

Below are the reasons I know of:

#1. Michigan opposed letting the Chicago Bears play at Northwestern's stadium. This would have likely provided a nice financial boost the NU athletic department when it would have made a difference, and may have changed the future of NU football.

#2. Michigan made it impossible for ND to join the Big Ten when ND would have gladly done so. Part anti-Catholic bias and part not wanting another competitive team in the conference.

#3. Opposed the inclusion of Michigan State into the conference.

NU fired Fitzgerald for not knowing about locker room behavior that most players deemed to be no big deal or even understandable in the context of team-building.

Michigan's president is screaming in defense of his head coach and taking the Big Ten to court when everybody knows Harbaugh was in on some blatant cheating by members of his staff.

If NU had had that loser president from Michigan for just one decision, Northwestern would be a lot better off.

I heard Michael Schill is so upset about the Michigan response he is going to send them a rambling letter of earnest dissatisfaction.
No we wouldn’t be better off. We’d still have Fitz as our coach.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. Find the silver lining in it and move on.

No. He might be if he were #21. Instead he is like #128 or something

Of course that's not what I said, hence the reading comprehension remark. By the way, from which law school did you graduate?
You didn’t say it because it would be ridiculous. Elite means superior to the rest. The University of Michigan just isn’t in that tier no matter how many times you say it. It’s almost as if you’re from Michigan or something.

Your hatred is ugly.
It’s not hate. I have super warm feelings to Fitz the player and even Fitz the coach. I just don’t think he was a great steward of the program as zero titles and 4-20 in his last two seasons attest and I’m glad we have moved on even though I’m not happy with the circumstances and how it happened.

You didn’t say it because it would be ridiculous. Elite means superior to the rest. The University of Michigan just isn’t in that tier no matter how many times you say it. It’s almost as if you’re from Michigan or something.
I don’t know how this turned into a discussion on law schools, but if that is your definition of elite, then Yale wins and all others are second rate. I wouldn’t be that strict. I would consider any of the traditional T-14 law schools elite, but this is all subjective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT