ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Doyel IndyStar column — “Stop whining, Chris”

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005

Ooooh baby, this guy knows his audience. And he’s almost certainly swung by WR today to see if he’s part of ‘the conversation’. (Okay, he didn’t actually write “stop whining, Chris,” but close.)

He gets perilously close to acknowledging that Purdue benefited from two major missed calls…but doesn’t identify the missed calls (offensive hook with 11 seconds left, PU’s “sweep the leg Jonny” on Berry)…and then attributes it to 🤷🏼‍♂️ officials are human. I *think* perhaps he blames Collins for those missed calls?

Anyway, enjoy this garbage. At least in the good old days of newspaper column-inches, we’d be limited to 500 words. Here, probably twice that, with nonsensical newspaper columnist jokes (lol PETA amirite! Christmas Vacation reference!) and an actual scold of CCC because “I know him”.

Yuck.

What a fun game. NU wins on a neutral court, and let’s hope even in … Minneapolis, apparently. Go Cats.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg

Gregg Doyel vibes.

Reactions: NUCat320

Ooooh baby, this guy knows his audience. And he’s almost certainly swung by WR today to see if he’s part of ‘the conversation’. (Okay, he didn’t actually write “stop whining, Chris,” but close.)

He gets perilously close to acknowledging that Purdue benefited from two major missed calls…but doesn’t identify the missed calls (offensive hook with 11 seconds left, PU’s “sweep the leg Jonny” on Berry)…and then attributes it to 🤷🏼‍♂️ officials are human. I *think* perhaps he blames Collins for those missed calls?

Anyway, enjoy this garbage. At least in the good old days of newspaper column-inches, we’d be limited to 500 words. Here, probably twice that, with nonsensical newspaper columnist jokes (lol PETA amirite! Christmas Vacation reference!) and an actual scold of CCC because “I know him”.

Yuck.

What a fun game. NU wins on a neutral court, and let’s hope even in … Minneapolis, apparently. Go Cats.
What a piece of garbage write up. Not even remotely a serious attempt at being unbiased. And he knows, as I feel comes across in the following segment:

"I’m saying the victim of poor officiating, if there was a victim, was Purdue.
You think that’s ludicrous." - He's pandering to his audience in IN, while imagining the reader is actually one of us. Or, I suppose to the occasional IU fan that might have watched it. That feels like he's addressing 1 out of 1,000 readers. Strange.

His "journalism" goes beyond opinion. Oh no, it does not stop at the logic Purdue will draw more fouls. I will even add that a force in the paint keeps opponents away and less likely to commit fouls. I will even argue NU might be more aggressive than the norm, though doubling Edey would suggest fouling him less. No, this dude actually dares and goes into actually demonstrating his points with numbers.

Here's some f'ing numbers dippoop, and I suppose I might have looked it up wrong, below are the average free throw attempts, per game, in B1G play, for both teams (before yesterday's aberration):

Purdue: 23.5/game
NU: 18.1/ game
Difference: 5.4 attempts

Yesterday (tossing the last 4 to be generous):
42-8
Difference: 34

I am no math genius, but that is a 28.6 plus on the average difference before the game. Normal, just normal

Vomiting Stick Figure GIF by CowWolf

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT