ADVERTISEMENT

Hallelujah! College football starts today!

ND 42 - Navy 3.

I don't why they play this game. I understand it's a tradition that goes way back, but it is such a one-sided mismatch that it really doesn't make sense to continue it any longer.

I wonder if there is some contractual reason to continue year after year. Otherwise, I think Navy should just simply bow out and find someone who is more like them to play.

Reactions: drewjin
ND 42 - Navy 3.

I don't why they play this game. I understand it's a tradition that goes way back, but it is such a one-sided mismatch that it really doesn't make sense to continue it any longer.

I wonder if there is some contractual reason to continue year after year. Otherwise, I think Navy should just simply bow out and find someone who is more like them to play.

You know why they play this game.

$$$$$$$$$

Watching navy trying to complete a passing play was an absolute disgrace to college football.

True, but who here bothered watching it? Navy hasn't been really that relevant for the most part for three decades with some nice seasons sprinkled in here and there. Not a game that I would waste almost 4 hours of my life to see.
Navy had been consistently competitive (bowl team) for over a decade and a half and even beat Notre Dame 3 out of 4 seasons during one stretch (2007-2010). But now that they've started losing to Army again, I'm not expecting them to put up much of a fight against Notre Dame.

The Navy - Notre Dame game tradition goes back to the WWII era when the Navy used Notre Dame campus as a training area and paid for the privilege. This put money in TSISB's coffers when it was sorely needed. In return, TSISB agreed to play Navy annually as a repayment of that debt.

ND 42 - Navy 3.

Last season the score was ND 35, Navy 32. The Midshipmen gave the Domers a game when then were ~20 point dogs going in.

That said, and per CBS Sports, the Irish have now won six straight, with Navy only having four wins since the beginning of this century.

Reactions: No Chores
Lq
I think both of those teams could beat the 2022 Cats. I hope we are much better than 2022, otherwise UTEP will beat us.
UTEP could have beaten Jax State but for two bad play calls in last minute and a half. Hopefully we take them seriously

UTEP has some athletes on both sides of the ball. They look a little vulnerable to the run if we can get that going. Their QB is pretty good (although he really telegraphed his last pass that was picked off) and they have a couple of dangerous, if small, receivers. Will be a tough game, but then again, I don't expect anything but that for this Cats team, even against Howard, especially if the offense doesn't get much, much better.

So ND has a game that’s usually a fairly easy W. Every P5 team schedules at least 1-2 OOC opponents that are supposed to be easy mismatch W’s and the better teams of ND caliber can count on certain conference opponents as Ws. ND does not really have that as an independent, so what is the big deal about scheduling the same easy W every year (and continue a tradition) instead of scheduling UMass one year, UTEP the next, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT