ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College football coaches' intelligence

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
College football coaches get paid a lot of money, but there is often an inverse relationship between their intelligence and their salary. At NU, we have been so fortunate not to have suffered the likes of Tommy Tuberville and Lincoln Riley. Let's see how long this one lasts....3...2...1...

Reactions: rmndcat
Listening to a college football coach gives his wisdom on life is like listening to Peggy Hill speak Spanish. I don't think college football coaches are all dumb but they are nowhere near as smart as they think they are and that's when people get themselves into trouble.

Last edited:
Listening to a college football coach gives his wisdom on life is like listening to Peggy Hill speak Spanish. I don't think college football coaches are all dumb but they are nowhere near as smart as they think they are and that's when people get themselves into trouble.
Propane

Just curious, who is Peggy Hill?

^ But despite that, the humor is smart/astute and hilarious...

Lots of not very smart coaches, even when it comes to X's and O's.

I find this topic, at large, quite fascinating.

I believe too many times we just think of people as smart/intelligent in global terms and not in terms of specific areas. The reality is that rarely people are "intelligent" in many areas.

The problem is that the people who are intelligent, say at coaching, will quickly believe they are intelligent if a discussion about tractors and agriculture machinery breaks out next to them.

^ But despite that, the humor is smart/astute and hilarious...

Lots of not very smart coaches, even when it comes to X's and O's.
Now that we’ve had almost a year to reflect, how do we think Fitz’s intelligence “ranks” among college football coaches and the general population?

Let’s get this back on topic.

I find this topic, at large, quite fascinating.

I believe too many times we just think of people as smart/intelligent in global terms and not in terms of specific areas. The reality is that rarely people are "intelligent" in many areas.

The problem is that the people who are intelligent, say at coaching, will quickly believe they are intelligent if a discussion about tractors and agriculture machinery breaks out next to them.
Really? This is an interesting take to me. Put simply… you don’t believe that a general intelligence exists even within or between human beings, correct?

What do you think about tech companies’ attempts to create artificial general intelligence?

Really? This is an interesting take to me. Put simply… you don’t believe that a general intelligence exists even within or between human beings, correct?

What do you think about tech companies’ attempts to create artificial general intelligence?
Humans have the capacity to be extraordinarily brilliant, or not at all so. The average IQ is not so high, and IQ does not account for wisdom. As a culture, we suffer under the idea that great success in a specific area means great general intelligence. For example Henry Ford, Charles Lindberg, Brett Favre (and his successor, what's his name). At NU, athletic coaches have not embarrassed the University with their stupidity or abusiveness beyond their sports prowess. That, in itself, is a great accomplishment.

Reactions: No Chores
Humans have the capacity to be extraordinarily brilliant, or not at all so. The average IQ is not so high, and IQ does not account for wisdom. As a culture, we suffer under the idea that great success in a specific area means great general intelligence. For example Henry Ford, Charles Lindberg, Brett Favre (and his successor, what's his name). At NU, athletic coaches have not embarrassed the University with their stupidity or abusiveness beyond their sports prowess. That, in itself, is a great accomplishment.
Henry Ford may have been an awful person. But he is hardly an example of someone lacking general intelligence.

He lacked education, empathy, and grace.

Henry Ford may have been an awful person. But he is hardly an example of someone lacking general intelligence.

Yes, that's another distinction--awful vs. intelligence. Depends upon how awful, awful is.

We have different views on intelligence. Empathy and grace are, for me, part of emotional intelligence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT