ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Creating Portal Rules

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm just fantasy booking here, but I can't help but think there could be a few very simple, common-sense regulations implemented for players (who as a reminder, are college students) wanting to enter the transfer portal, to reduce the "wild west" elements that CFB is experiencing right now.
  • You can enter the Portal once, unrestricted - for any reason or no reason at all.
  • If you want to enter more than once, you either have to sit a year or lose a year of eligibility to play immediately, unless:
    1. There's a change to your head coach or position coach...then you can enter the Portal again.
    2. You've earned your degree...then you can enter the Portal once more.
    3. You've made academic progress in line with your status as a full-time student AND you can furnish an academic plan with assistance from an advisor to demonstrate your ability to graduate in a timely manner. This gets into the weeds but the idea being that academic progress isn't being stifled by the football. This rule would also support players who aren't getting any playing time, enabling them to get caught up in a year while also not burning through their eligibility.
As someone who works with undergrads...I can confirm that making steady academic progress in a degree program becomes difficult as a transfer. Then adding the scheduling restrictions as a player with games and practice, it reduces academic possibilities even further. I'm under no false belief that athletic programs care about academic progress, but enforcing rules like this would significantly reduce the fickle turnover we're seeing, which I think yields universal benefits for everyone involved (yes...including the players themselves).

I know many people cynically ask, "if the coaches can do whatever they want...then why can't the players?" I don't think there's an apples to apples comparison when it comes to a full-time professional and a full-time student for starters (but I would also argue that schools and coaches should stop entering into commitments that neither intends to honor). It worries me seeing players transferring 3-4 times just chasing after playing time, including those who land at Northwestern.

Reactions: drewjin
If a school doesn't offer a 4-year scholarship, then I don't see why there should be a restriction on transferring. The Big Ten mandates 4-year scholarships, but not all conferences do and neither does the NCAA.

If only Coaches would consider Kant's categorical imperative of the Universalizability Principle

A portal and NIL are terrible systems, but they put money in the hands of the value creators, so I'm OK w it.

You all realize that Gagg and Shill both make a lot of money because of CFB? Every sport except MBB (which provides SOME revenue), all the coaches,.administrators etc are funded by CFB. Players, even now, get a drop in the bucket

Reactions: julescat and RevCat
Great first paragraph. And second paragraph.

Universities have found a way to pay players without paying anything for it. They love NIL and will fight for it tooth and nail.

Reactions: KappaKat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT