ADVERTISEMENT

Hankwitz is laying out the truth on Twitter right now

Having now read Coach Hank's tweet, if you take his tweet at face value, what additional measures do you believe Fitz should have taken?

(And if you don't take Hank's tweet at face value, what do you take issue with?)
Create an environment where the backups or young players who were victims of hazing believed that complaints of hazing would be heard and taken seriously, with perpetrators disciplined.

It’s tough to believe the anti-hazing rhetoric if you’d been groped by team leaders days before.

One poster implied it was OK if it was only “occasional”. ONE time is too many. As I have previously mentioned, no one I know of who is responsible in a position of authority ever lets immature non-professional athletes / young-adults create a “Lord of the Flies” environment, and the only way that’s done is thru observation and policing. After all the Church and BSA issues, all the new training suggests monitoring and supervision in almost all circumstances. All it takes is one bad apple to make the bushel go rotten.

Reactions: mekCat
One poster implied it was OK if it was only “occasional”. ONE time is too many. As I have previously mentioned, no one I know of who is responsible in a position of authority ever lets immature non-professional athletes / young-adults create a “Lord of the Flies” environment, and the only way that’s done is thru observation and policing. After all the Church and BSA issues, all the new training suggests monitoring and supervision in almost all circumstances. All it takes is one bad apple to make the bushel go rotten.
Most of these athletes are old enough to serve in the military. How are we defining immaturity here?

If the answer is they need drill sergeants to keep them in order like the military does... okay. But it sort of sounds like that's what Foster brought to the baseball team from West Point and it didn't seem to go so well.

Most of these athletes are old enough to serve in the military. How are we defining immaturity here?

If the answer is they need drill sergeants to keep them in order like the military does... okay. But it sort of sounds like that's what Foster brought to the baseball team from West Point and it didn't seem to go so well.
If I can believe what my father told me, a drill instructor would be worse than the players.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Having now read Coach Hank's tweet, if you take his tweet at face value, what additional measures do you believe Fitz should have taken?

(And if you don't take Hank's tweet at face value, what do you take issue with?)
At some point do you look around and assess the lengths you reach to vindicate this guy. If you compared to the lengths you would go for your own kids / grandkids (remember you like to listen to both sides), to political figures you disagree with…do you see the extraordinary lengths you will traverse (as long as anonymously) to back PF and ask why?

If you were called out in a public forum where your friends, family and employer / clients would know your position, are you as vocal?

Implied? Corbi straight up said it was all good. And when CMT made light, Cappy deleted. Really? Carry over of accountability?

But you are straight on about the church issues - that’s a Chicago thing. One has to know better. Especially at $5MM and the allowance to otherwise be a complete dick to media and fans alike.

Are they old enough to be responsible for debt they sign up for? Old enough to drink? Old enough to not be called kid?

You stand behind all decisions before 25? Do you think you would have done anything different? Have you ever been victimized?

At some point do you look around and assess the lengths you reach to vindicate this guy. If you compared to the lengths you would go for your own kids / grandkids (remember you like to listen to both sides), to political figures you disagree with…do you see the extraordinary lengths you will traverse (as long as anonymously) to back PF and ask why?

If you were called out in a public forum where your friends, family and employer / clients would know your position, are you as vocal?
I was just asking a question because you said Fitz didn't do enough, so I wanted to know what else you thought he should do. I don't see how I was "vindicating" him by asking that question.

You are familiar with the idiom about the fox and the hen house? How about taking the blindingly obvious measure of having one of the coaching staff in the locker room after all practices? Every year that I played football or other sports there was always a member of the coaching staff in the locker room. They had an office in there.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and zanycat
You are familiar with the idiom about the fox and the hen house? How about taking the blindingly obvious measure of having one of the coaching staff in the locker room after all practices? Every year that I played football or other sports there was always a member of the coaching staff in the locker room. They had an office in there.
It's interesting. I recently spent almost a year around a major college basketball program with access behind the scenes to almost all areas the team was in and the layout was such that the coaches weren't really in the "locker room" and shower areas. Their offices were far from the locker rooms. I don't remember them being specifically kept out of those areas, but the areas where the coaches went and addressed the team were separate from those areas. These programs have pretty massive resources, so it's different from the days of the coach's office being around the corner from the showers. The coaches not really being in the locker room a lot seems somewhat common from my exposure to these things, but I'm sure there are lots of different experiences out there. That doesn't excuse the coaches from responsibility for everything that happens in the program, but just noting what I saw.

I don't understand the application of the fox and the hen house here though. Are you saying that the member of the coaching staff would be the fox in the hen house? That doesn't compute.

He could have had an anonymous drop box for suggestions and complaints within the program.

He could have had an anonymous drop box for suggestions and complaints within the program.

He did:

SuggestionBoxTitle.png

I was just asking a question because you said Fitz didn't do enough, so I wanted to know what else you thought he should do. I don't see how I was "vindicating" him by asking that question.
If there were systemic failures, and it sounds lie there were, he didn’t do enough unless you think these things are simply part of a program like mosquitos own the night.

Was your experience in college athletics? I spent 4 years as a D1 athlete and I can’t remember every seeing a Coach in the locker room. In fact, I would have thought that as very weird/uncomfortable.

Reactions: Gladeskat
It's interesting. I recently spent almost a year around a major college basketball program with access behind the scenes to almost all areas the team was in and the layout was such that the coaches weren't really in the "locker room" and shower areas. Their offices were far from the locker rooms. I don't remember them being specifically kept out of those areas, but the areas where the coaches went and addressed the team were separate from those areas. These programs have pretty massive resources, so it's different from the days of the coach's office being around the corner from the showers. The coaches not really being in the locker room a lot seems somewhat common from my exposure to these things, but I'm sure there are lots of different experiences out there. That doesn't excuse the coaches from responsibility for everything that happens in the program, but just noting what I saw.

I don't understand the application of the fox and the hen house here though. Are you saying that the member of the coaching staff would be the fox in the hen house? That doesn't compute.
The fox are the hazing football players. Maybe I should have used leaving inmates in. charge of the asylum.

Was your experience in college athletics? I spent 4 years as a D1 athlete and I can’t remember every seeing a Coach in the locker room. In fact, I would have thought that as very weird/uncomfortable.
No, PPD, my experience I was referencing was high school. No one on the football team thought it was weird that the coaching staff had an office in the locker room area. Not surprisingly no hazing ever happened in that locker room during the four years that I played sports. My own hazing experiences happened at a party event hosted by seniors.

No, PPD, my experience I was referencing was high school. No one on the football team thought it was weird that the coaching staff had an office in the locker room area. Not surprisingly no hazing ever happened in that locker room during the four years that I played sports. My own hazing experiences happened at a party event hosted by seniors.
Based on PPD's experience, perhaps it would be considered an unusual measure to take in NCAA D1 sports. Of course I can't take his response alone as representative of all D1 athletes, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that what he says is true.

Is it justifiable to fire Fitz for cause if the proposed measure was not common industry practice at the time?

In HC, the coaches had an office in the locker room area. In college, coaches have entirely separate locker rooms from the players.

The only time one would see a coach in the locker room was, occasionally, they'd pass through to get to practice, and for pregame, halftime, and postgame speeches. It's my impression that there would be little if any opportunity to do monitoring.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Based on PPD's experience, perhaps it would be considered an unusual measure to take in NCAA D1 sports. Of course I can't take his response alone as representative of all D1 athletes, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that what he says is true.

Is it justifiable to fire Fitz for cause if the proposed measure was not common industry practice at the time?
It all depends on his contract language. If it says that his responsibilities extend to e.g. "the behavior of athletes while on or in team facilities", yes.

Someone ultimately has to be responsible. Seems like $5MM of justification to stop the buck at PF.

What he needed to do? Something more than he did because what he did failed. So far, it’s the only P5 FB program to reveal such failure. I cannot accept that $5MM simply has to show up.

Performance has sunken for years. Snarkiness has grown. Asst coaches overstayed (and we’re in some cases, also bad people). And at every turn was: he ran the cleanest program in football.

Well, that’s gone. Not cleanest. Not clean at all by many alum standards. Performance still down. Still asst coaches that have underperforming units. Etc

So what exactly is PF paid for? Occasional babysitter? For $5MM? I’ll do it for half and personally guarantee a clean program and accept 100% responsibility.

If performance isn’t key. Then why spend $5MM on any coach and millions more on fancy facilities?

Reactions: ManhatCat

Oh what I said is true. However, that was decades ago and it wasn’t at NU. To elaborate on the set up:

Football has their own locker room. The non-revenue sports shared a locker that was split in sections for the various teams. There were adults ( non-students) that worked in these locker rooms. You would typically go to the locker room attendant at the start of practice and get a complete set of cleaned clothing/gear. These guys were actually in a seperate room we referred to as “the cage”. The locker room was to the left of the cage and entry into the showers was in front of the cage. At the end of practice you would throw your dirty clothes back to the large basket on wheels to be washed and obtain a towel for showering. Most guys kept an extra towel and wore that around there waist when picking up the clean towel and entering the shower. This was because most of us found the attendants a little creepy and were uncomfortable with an older grown man staring at us walking up to him naked getting our towels and returning our dirty clothes.

I can’t remember a single time seeing the HC of any of the teams in the locker room. To me, that wouldn’t have felt right, especially at that time in my life. So I find the fact that Fitz apparently did not frequent the locker room as totally understandable and normal.

Someone ultimately has to be responsible. Seems like $5MM of justification to stop the buck at PF.

What he needed to do? Something more than he did because what he did failed. So far, it’s the only P5 FB program to reveal such failure. I cannot accept that $5MM simply has to show up.

Performance has sunken for years. Snarkiness has grown. Asst coaches overstayed (and we’re in some cases, also bad people). And at every turn was: he ran the cleanest program in football.

Well, that’s gone. Not cleanest. Not clean at all by many alum standards. Performance still down. Still asst coaches that have underperforming units. Etc

So what exactly is PF paid for? Occasional babysitter? For $5MM? I’ll do it for half and personally guarantee a clean program and accept 100% responsibility.

If performance isn’t key. Then why spend $5MM on any coach and millions more on fancy facilities?
If it's about performance, then buy out his contract.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
If it's about performance, then buy out his contract.
Doesn’t answer the question - what justifies $5MM? In the recent years, the answer was cleanest program and face of the university (though his snarkiness made many of us laugh as he had run off all non-student media except Lou).

So what’s the justification for $5MM a year?

Doesn’t answer the question - what justifies $5MM? In the recent years, the answer was cleanest program and face of the university (though his snarkiness made many of us laugh as he had run off all non-student media except Lou).

So what’s the justification for $5MM a year?
Is that how contracts work?

Is that how contracts work?
Well, if school successfully terminated for cause or PF successfully prosecuted a yet I filed lawsuit, I think it is.

I also think this is another diversion to avoid irrefutable points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT