ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh

Windy City Cat Fan

May 29, 2001
Apparently Michigan just hired the father of the #1 rated dual threat QB in the 2019 class as an assistant. He is currently a high school head coach in California. I've heard of this in basketball before - Danny manning back in the 80's, Wayne McClain at Illinois for those Peoria Manuel kids etc. but I had never heard of it happening in football.

Didn't he do something similar when he first began coaching at Michigan?

Didn't he do something similar when he first began coaching at Michigan?

Similar but different. He hired Chris Partridge as director of player personnel in January 2015. Partridge was Jabrill Peppers' head coach at Paramus Catholic and is very well-connected in the New Jersey recruiting scene. Paramus itself churns out a ton of top talent, including the Rashan Gary (the top player in the 2016 class) and 2017 Michigan LB signee Drew Singleton. Michigan has also brought in a lot of premium talent from New Jersey the past couple years.

Similar but different. He hired Chris Partridge as director of player personnel in January 2015. Partridge was Jabrill Peppers' head coach at Paramus Catholic and is very well-connected in the New Jersey recruiting scene. Paramus itself churns out a ton of top talent, including the Rashan Gary (the top player in the 2016 class) and 2017 Michigan LB signee Drew Singleton. Michigan has also brought in a lot of premium talent from New Jersey the past couple years.

Yes, I occasionally sneak a look at the Rutgers board and remember they weren't thrilled with the news that Partridge had gone out to Michigan.

What do you think of hiring a recruits father - I assume that is permitted but are there tight oversight on what kind of salary and other compensation that can be given to him or any requirement to keep him employed beyond his sons stay at Michigan? Seems like a set-up ripe for abuse.

What do you think of hiring a recruits father - I assume that is permitted but are there tight oversight on what kind of salary and other compensation that can be given to him or any requirement to keep him employed beyond his sons stay at Michigan? Seems like a set-up ripe for abuse.

Not that I'm aware of, really, though the NCAA is considering a ban on hiring anyone in a non-coaching role within two years of a recruit's enrollment.

Either way, I think Michigan could make a pretty strong case that he was hired because he's a good and experienced football coach... I mean, the guy was OC for the 49ers and UCLA at points in his career, has 10 years of NFL coaching experience, and was Harbaugh's QB coach for a year while he wrapped up his career in San Diego:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...dinator-join-jim-harbaugh-michigan-wolverines

The fact that his son is a good football player shouldn't really be a surprise, though the fact that he's a top recruit adds a sinister air to the situation.

Say what u want about Harbaugh, but he leaves no stone unturned when it comes to recruiting...

Some of what Harbaugh has done is definitely in the grey-area or unorthodox, but he don't think he's the type to delve into the cesspool that is SEC or Baylor recruiting.

I see nothing wrong with this. The coach is qualified. It's a risky investment given that the kid won't even be on campus for two years (presumably as an early enrollee).

Reactions: julescat
As a fan, I don't have a problem with this as long as he's being hired to an actual coaching position, since there is a limit on how many coaches a program - even Michigan - can have. If Harbaugh wants to use one of his limited resources in this way...more power to him.

100% completely different story if he's hiring him to one of these BS quality control positions and can have 50 others just like it. Then it's a kickback in the truest sense, and some loopholes need closing.

It was announced yesterday, I believe, that the new proposal for allowing a 10th on field coach will likely not go into effect until January 2018 - Johnson was only going to Michigan as an analyst if he could be added as a coach in April, which is no longer the case. So, he went with Oregon as WR coach - as they still had a spot in their 9 left. It will be interesting to see if his son moves up with him - as he, the ST coach and the head coach all have top recruit sons (2018, 19' and 20') and they may end up at the same high school up there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT