ADVERTISEMENT

He was simply the best RB we’ve ever had.

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
With apologies to Justin Jackson whom I hold in the highest regard, Darnell was the greatest.

No spread offense spreading out defenders.
Defenses 100% geared entirely to stop him.
Remarkable consistency year after year.
And these highlights against the #2 rush defense in the BT that season.

Last edited:
I formation setup.
Defenses geared entirely to stop him.

A very legitimate offensive line just may have had something to do with it... @MRCat95 can clearly provide better perspective, but those guys up front were pretty damn good.

That he was. Would have liked to see him in purple one more year

That he was. Would have liked to see him in purple one more year

For all if our good fortune in 1995 and 1996, 1997 was another bowl year that wasn’t due to bad luck/timing/decisions.

The ‘97 team was supposed to have D. Autry, D. Bates and H. Ishmaili, but all were lost for various reasons. I think all three were first team All Big Ten in 1996. They may have helped eek out a couple more wins.

A very legitimate offensive line just may have had something to do with it... @MRCat95 can clearly provide better perspective, but those guys up front were pretty damn good.

Well, not one was drafted, nor played a down in the NFL. Bratton must have been just crap. ;)

Paul Janus played for the Panthers in 98. Even started a couple of games.

Fabulous player and team, but Otto Graham wasn't too shabby as a runner and passer in the single wing era. Check his Ohio State game.

Reactions: GreenBayCat
Does anybody know what Darnell Autry does these days? Last time I saw him was at a Waa-Mu show's anniversary spectacular. I am just curious? I hope he is doing well. I agree with all on this thread- DAutry was the core of our 95/96' teams and really the legend that keeps all of our current success churning!

Chris Hinton. 1982. Great respect for all the others including Graham. Hinton did it all on his own. GOAT. End of discussion.

Too bad he gets lost in the great black hole known as the dark ages. A curse that followed him when the Broncos made him most famous for being the guy that was traded for John Elway. Probably the best NFL OLM ever not enshrined in Canton. A terrible injustice to someone who by many accounts redefined OT play by his never before seen athleticism at the position.

GOUNUII

Chris Hinton. 1982. Great respect for all the others including Graham. Hinton did it all on his own. GOAT. End of discussion.

Too bad he gets lost in the great black hole known as the dark ages. A curse that followed him when the Broncos made him most famous for being the guy that was traded for John Elway. Probably the best NFL OLM ever not enshrined in Canton. A terrible injustice to someone who by many accounts redefined OT play by his never before seen athleticism at the position.

GOUNUII

Wish he could convince his sons to play for NU.

Reactions: drewjin and nycat33
Fabulous player and team, but Otto Graham wasn't too shabby as a runner and passer in the single wing era. Check his Ohio State game.
Yes. Great as was Autry, I hesitate to apply the title greatest as I consider Otto.

Does anybody know what Darnell Autry does these days? Last time I saw him was at a Waa-Mu show's anniversary spectacular. I am just curious? I hope he is doing well. I agree with all on this thread- DAutry was the core of our 95/96' teams and really the legend that keeps all of our current success churning!
He’s a bartender in AZ.

why didnt Autry finish his last year of football?
BTW, didnt O'Dwyer block on the 93 line? He had a great NFL career.

Here are some other names of NU players with good pro careers:
Paul Flatley
Woody Campbell
Cas Banacek-multiple year All Pro
Jack Rudnay-multiple year All Pro
Matt O'Dwyer
Mike Adamle
Steve Tasker-multiple year All Pro-possible HoF in future
Zack Strieff

GOUNUII
I agree. Even a much better teammate and person.

Oh. I'm pretty sure I just woke up.
This will wake you up some more: Under Armour invited my man the legend back to check out their new uniform technology. He looks like he could still “strap it on”, and before Bowser emerged I reached out to see if he has any eligibility left (the NCAA sadly disagrees):

The RB that was here the last 4 years wasn’t bad.

I agree. And I’ll go one step further. I loved DA1. A true NU hero and legend if there ever was one.

But when you watch highlights or tape from those 1995 games, the the most glaring thing you see is the giant, gaping holes that OL used to blow open for DA1. And as another poster mentioned, this was in a pre-spread, pre-up-tempo “3 yards and a cloud of dust” world where defenses knew what was coming.

DA1 would go untouched for 3 or 4 yards between the tackles more times in one game than JJTBC did in an entire season!

If JJTBC had the offensive lines and the kind of regular holes between the tackles that DA1 had, I honestly believe he’d have broken Ron Dayne’s NCAA record - and by a decent margin. JJTBC ran for 5500 yards and I swear he earned at least 3500 of those on YAC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT