ADVERTISEMENT

Hello & Honor To Play Northwestern Again!

Here is a Link to join Pitt Fans on the Lair where Posters share to learn together with Pre-Game Banter & Post-Game Bravado, depending on who wins, but just great to play Northwestern again!
LINK:
https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.co...stripe-bowl-preview-link.102961/#post-1699876

Also, have LINK this WildcatReport Board to the Pitt Board!

This bowl is no fun. I want to play Southern teams so we can make fun of their redneck tooth missing gator eating confederate flag waving hick asses. This is like playing Rutgers or Maryland.

Reactions: NUCat320
This bowl is no fun. I want to play Southern teams so we can make fun of their redneck tooth missing gator eating confederate flag waving hick asses. This is like playing Rutgers or Maryland.
Pitt has a better Football History than those two, and Tied with Michigan with Hall of Famers, and 4th if in the Big Ten with 43 All Americans just behind 45 for Nebraska and then OSU & Michigan! Everybody with a Brain respect Northwestern and Pat Fitzgerald Players and Teams. Looking forward to the game.

As for playing Southern Teams, Pitt is in the ACC and plays many, and Big Ten avoids SEC like the Plague, so never saw much upside in talking down to anyone on Southern CFB especially well educated NU Fans?

Great. Now I'm going to need my translator app to get through December.
Uber is testing Robot Cars in Pittsburgh right now.
Glades, The dude is a captain. I think he could make you walk the plank. He could be one of those famous Pittsburgh Pirates.
Not really, he was a British Agent but a Son of Odessa Russian named Sidney Rosenbloom, used a Cover as Captain in Royal Canadian Air Corp in Russian Revolution & WWI and took the name Reilly because the Irish were welcomed in all countries except England and was perfect way to remove his British Espionage from suspicion. Ian Fleming that also was in King & Country MI6 used a few of his exploits for his James Bond Novels.He changed the Rules on Modern Espionage! PBS 12 Part Series did his exploits on a TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Pitt has a better Football History than those two, and Tied with Michigan with Hall of Famers, and 4th if in the Big Ten with 43 All Americans just behind 45 for Nebraska and then OSU & Michigan! Everybody with a Brain respect Northwestern and Pat Fitzgerald Players and Teams. Looking forward to the game.

As for playing Southern Teams, Pitt is in the ACC and plays many, and Big Ten avoids SEC like the Plague, so never saw much upside in talking down to anyone on Southern CFB especially well educated NU Fans?
Not meaning to put words in the mouth of EvanstonCat but I do not believe that he meant that to be demeaning. Your location and fanbase are regionally similar to two teams that are in the B1G and that we will play with reasonable regularity. Therefore, the cultural differences between the fanbases are less apparent and less prone to create strong emotions leading up to the game. Those of us that enjoy these differences prefer playing the SEC teams and their extremely emotional fan bases. The rest of us are really enjoying the class of your fan base to date.

And a further note... Even though you are geographically in the same state as PSU, we do not consider you anything like PSU. I obviously mean that as a compliment.;)

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly

It wasn't so much talking down their football. They play good football down there, though they are too pussy to come up North and play in the cold. It was more about reliving the Civil War and making fun of the way they talk and their ways and such.

Not meaning to put words in the mouth of EvanstonCat but I do not believe that he meant that to be demeaning. Your location and fanbase are regionally similar to two teams that are in the B1G and that we will play with reasonable regularity. Therefore, the cultural differences between the fanbases are less apparent and less prone to create strong emotions leading up to the game. Those of us that enjoy these differences prefer playing the SEC teams and their extremely emotional fan bases. The rest of us are really enjoying the class of your fan base to date.

And a further note... Even though you are geographically in the same state as PSU, we do not consider you anything like PSU. I obviously mean that as a compliment.;)

Yeah, what Glide said. Pitt doesn't do it emotionally for me. I don't know what to say to you except good luck and hope no one gets hurt. Gee, this isn't very fun...

And for what it's worth - Rutgers and Maryland may not have your tradition and accomplishments, but as we well know on this board, it's all about television households. Which is why you're in the ACC and they are in the B1G. That and because PedState would have vetoed you. Believe me, I'd rather have Pitt than those two, but it was never about what the fans wanted. It was always about the money.

It wasn't so much talking down their football. They play good football down there, though they are too pussy to come up North and play in the cold. It was more about reliving the Civil War and making fun of the way they talk and their ways and such.
The gentleman from Alabama takes umbrage at that remark, sir. (Except for the part about the SEC teams being afraid to come north and play in the cold - agree wholeheartedly)

And who is the one that talks funny is in the ear of the beholder.

I guess the reason that we focus on the Civil War so much is that the South lost. The financial impacts of losing that war were felt in the Southern states until the 1970's when you Northerners finally figured out that your weather sucks and started looking to relocate South. You brought Northern views on wages and prices. And while most sane Southerners understand that what the South was fighting for is inseparable from slavery and therefore the South can never be painted as the good guys, we do try and separate the larger political issues from the individual acts of bravery on the battlefield.

To Northerners, its just another war where you were the good guys and you won. To us in the South, it is a war where we were the bad guys and we lost. That is tough to reconcile.

I agree, Northwestern is the only Private Urban School in the Big Ten with 8,000+ Elite Undergraduate Students.

I once had the Honor to of spending time with a Younger Dean Jacobs of Kellog that was a lead Speaker of a Management Seminar in 1976, he needed a two hour ride to the Airport and I accommodated him. Jacob's was brilliant and explained to me NU's unique status in the Big Ten and why I told my Nephew to choose NU over Michigan on NSF Scholarship for Undergraduate later. My Nephew has thanked me many times for that advice but I was just passing on NU's Jacob;s NU wisdom. Also, have a Cousin Teaching at the NU Medical School.

Pitt is Semi-Private Urban University too with only 18,000+ Undergraduates. Curing Polio in 1954-55. The Urban Football Programs have to compete with Pro-Sports Dollars and do not have Large Alumni like the rest of the Big-Ten or SEC or Big-12 and Pac-12, such as 84,000 Penn State 20 Branch Campuses Undergraduates, or Michigan and OSU Program with many Alumni Support for attendance and contributions.

The ACC has the most Private Urban Universities among the Power Five Conferences in Miami, BC, Duke, Wake Forest, and ND (Playing 5 ACC FB Teams) is most Sports except FB. All under 20,000 and some at 6,000 like Wake. Add in Public Urban Georgia Tech with just 15,000 and Pitt Semi-Private at 18,000 these Programs seldom sell out Stadiums and Bowls and are in NU Class as far as Urban Location, Students, and Status.

This is why it is always an Honor and Privileges to play Northwestern and like Pitt depend upon unique Coaches that do not always have the all the resources of larger Universities Football Programs. Bowls want many Students, Alumni & Fans selling out the Bowls and that is just hard to do when Home Stadiums don't do it as often. CFB is not a an even playing field, Coaches Salaries, Recruiting Camp Invites, Bigger Rosters, and High School Coaching Clinics, and tough for Urban Programs to compete every year and year out.

The Urban Football Programs have to compete with Pro-Sports Dollars and do not have Large Alumni like the rest of the Big-Ten or SEC or Big-12 and Pac-12, such as 84,000 Penn State 20 Branch Campuses Undergraduates, or Michigan and OSU Program with many Alumni Support for attendance and contributions.

Bowls want many Students, Alumni & Fans selling out the Bowls and that is just hard to do when Home Stadiums don't do it as often. CFB is not a an even playing field, Coaches Salaries, Recruiting Camp Invites, Bigger Rosters, and High School Coaching Clinics, and tough for Urban Programs to compete every year and year out.
Preach it, Brother! :)

And I would not have it any other way. I grew up in Alabama and was raised around people that force coaches out after 10 win conference championship seasons (Bill Curry) and accept that NCAA sanctions are a part of winning football (If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'). Our fans truly believe that we can win championships and complain bitterly when we don't but universally we as a group do not want to cut corners and want to win the right way. That is something we appreciate in other like-minded institutions.

I stand corrected and see your point better now. It also goes back when Northern Football Programs integrated in 1950s' and often faced problems when playing in Southern Bowls, Pitt lost to GT in 1950's with terrible Non-existent Ref Call against one of Pitt African-Americans.

SEC fires back and uses its Consent Decree to explain why their Programs have to not follow the Freshmen Eligibility Rules too, and schedule OOC weaklings often near the end of the season, to rest its teams instead of playing a P-5 Conferences?

On the other hand, SEC to its credit, also has some of Best Football Management Promoters that came in 1980's to create Modern TV Subsidized Football System that has evolved from Independent and other joining to P-5 Conferences, BCS System, and now CFB Playoff NCS Committee. This has brought huge funding to Urban Programs and Benefits to compete with stable budgets now.

The Big Ten Pac-12 once resisted by not joining the BCS Bowl System until seeing the Benefits. then did SEC one better when Big Ten Delany stood down a snarky 30 Year ESPN Executive that told him go ahead set up the Big Ten Network and Delany did, and SEC followed just a few years ago. So, it cuts both ways and SEC-B1G lead the CFB System and others P-5.s are trying to staying up.

Yet, the Bigger Program are also driving Costs up to maintain Winning and some Urban Programs & Public Schools like Virginia, and Private Schools like Stanford, NU, and Duke won't match by hiring a Recruiting Department of 30 Staffers. Did you know USC has a Personal Assistant that does anything every Assistant Coaches need and wants? I learned that at the USC-Bama Game in Dallas this year from a USC Booster? Not sure Wake, NU, Pitt, Duke, Vandy, TCU, Baylor and Smaller School's will do that and Stanford limits Head Coaching Salaries but augments them by Boosters.

SEC Basketball was not fully integrated until 1970s to the many complaints of Press Maravich, but give Bama's Bear Bryant changing SEC Football for Integration.

Anyway, CFB evolution continues but just glad to post and exchange good FB Content with Smart NU's Posters and that is what Pitt Poster's do to share and learn on the Lair and Here too.

Preach it, Brother! :)

And I would not have it any other way. I grew up in Alabama and was raised around people that force coaches out after 10 win conference championship seasons (Bill Curry) and accept that NCAA sanctions are a part of winning football (If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'). Our fans truly believe that we can win championships and complain bitterly when we don't but universally we as a group do not want to cut corners and want to win the right way. That is something we appreciate in other like-minded institutions.
Amen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT