ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the press release on new Cat Jalen Brown

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Northwestern Adds Graduate Transfer Wide Receiver Jalen Brown
Brown will join Northwestern as a graduate transfer from the University of Oregon with two years of eligibility remaining.

EVANSTON, Ill. — A day after announcing 26 new student-athletes during National Signing Day 2017, Dan and Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach Pat Fitzgerald has announced the addition of graduate transfer Jalen Brown to the Northwestern Football program.

Brown will graduate from the University of Oregon in June and attend Northwestern to pursue a master’s degree in sport administration.

After enrolling early at Oregon and redshirting in 2014, Brown appeared in 25 games over two seasons and caught 26 passes for 407 yards and four touchdowns. As a redshirt sophomore last season, he made 19 catches for 318 yards and three scores, averaging 16.7 yards per reception. He had a career-high five catches for 97 yards versus Arizona State on Oct. 29 and matched his high with five catches for 89 yards and a score at Utah on Nov. 19. Brown also threw a 33-yard touchdown pass at Oregon State.

A native of Phoenix, Arizona, Brown was included among the Rivals100 and ESPN 300 rankings as a high school senior, with services listing him as high as Arizona’s third-best overall prospect and the nation’s No. 12 wide receiver. He took part in the U.S. Army All-American Game following his senior campaign that saw him finish sixth in the state in yards per catch (23.6) and tied for sixth in touchdown receptions (19).

He finished his senior year with 52 catches for 1,229 yards and caught touchdown passes in 11 of 14 games. His performance earned him the 2013 Division I Section III South Team Player of the Year honor while also being named to the All-USA Arizona first team. Brown was also named Arizona’s Gatorade Football Player of the Year following his junior season in which he caught 67 passes for 1,235 yards and 18 touchdowns.

The 6-2 wide receiver finished his high school career with 3,367 yards and 50 touchdown receptions in addition to tying the most career interceptions (14) in school history and setting the state’s all-time record with 52 total touchdowns.

The Wildcats officially added 17 scholarship student-athletes, one graduate transfer and six preferred walk-ons on Wednesday. The 24 newest ’Cats join early enrollees Sam Miller and Trey Pugh, both of whom enrolled at Northwestern for the winter quarter that began the first week of January.

Northwestern wrapped up the 2016 campaign with a 31-24 win over No. 23 Pittsburgh at Yankee Stadium in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl. The Wildcats are scheduled to return 17 of 22 starters from this year's squad, including All-Big Ten honorees Justin Jackson, Clayton Thorson, Garrett Dickerson, Solomon Vault and Tommy Doles on offense, as well as Godwin Igwebuike and Montre Hartage on defense.

We could really not ask for a better grad transfer than Brown. Given that grad transfers are not going to be multi year all conference starters (otherwise they'd be unlikely to transfer), Brown:
- Was a 4*, Rivals100 player out of HS. That would be the second highest rated WR ever, I think (to our other transfer Kyle Prater);
- Was an early enrollee which means he had an extra semester of college training;
- Also means he has two full seasons, rare for a grad transfer;
- He was a meaningful contributor for a traditionally high ranked P5 team (last year notwithstanding) known for its high powered offense;
- Scored 3 TDs in just 19 catches - suggests to me that he runs good routes & knows how to get open in the red zone;
- Came on strong at the end of the season, getting the bulk of his stats: in the last 4 games, 10 catches, 184 yards, 2 TD and 1 passing TD, including games against quality opponents USC and Utah.

Hopefully he can pick up where he left off and will be able to provide some veteran depth the next couple years - and possibly start. Right now the only proven guys we've got coming back are Wilson, Nagel and Skowronek.

It would be great to fairly regularly get guys like this with two years eligibility, proven ability to play at this level and immediately eligibility. Kind of like NU version of enhanced JUCO transfer.

Reactions: NUCat320
It would be great to fairly regularly get guys like this with two years eligibility, proven ability to play at this level and immediately eligibility. Kind of like NU version of enhanced JUCO transfer.

In targeting at least two such guys this cycle (Brown and Klock are the two we know about), NU does seem to have identified a "market inefficiency" of sorts. Call it the college football version of Moneyball.

In targeting at least two such guys this cycle (Brown and Klock are the two we know about), NU does seem to have identified a "market inefficiency" of sorts. Call it the college football version of Moneyball.
I think Wisconsin identified it - still a great idea

Brown was clearly poised to be a strong contributor at WR for OU based on the development and experience he gained last season. The beauty in this is that he has already been developed and can come in and contribute day 1. It helps plug a gap for poor WR development/recruiting with our upper class WRs. It would be nice if we can land OL transfer Trey Klock and get the same kind of boost on the OL.

Reactions: IGNORE2
What are you *talking* about? We don't even know this guy's OBP. </s> (Note: JBrown!)

There is so little downside to this signing. Credit to the student for getting his degree, and credit to NU for for keeping up with him.

That sophomore year production - on a team that was a sinking ship with substandard QB play (two years of it, really) speaks to potential for a breakout. I love it.

hat sophomore year production - on a team that was a sinking ship with substandard QB play (two years of it, really) speaks to potential for a breakout. I love it.

I love it too. In watching his highlight tape it is obvious that the qb play at Oregon was crap. Thorson's underthrows of the end of the season (was he a little injured??) don't look bad compared to that guy's. Brown made a pretty sharp move coming to NU with the qb situation the way it is and the lack of many obstacles to him getting lots of snaps. This was exactly the right move by both NU and Brown.

If you are talking about the underthrows at Pinstripe, it was a tough day for QB's: cold with swirling winds. The normally excellent Pitt QB mad a number of bad throws as well.

Reactions: julescat
He knows the Oregon offense -- that can not hurt us. Maybe a few new touchdown routes will wear off on our offensive coordinator (who I support).

and, Go Cats !!

f you are talking about the underthrows at Pinstripe, it was a tough day for QB's: cold with swirling winds. The normally excellent Pitt QB mad a number of bad throws as well.

I thought that Thorson looked different in the way he was throwing the ball from the Wisconsin game to the end of the season. I wasn't at the Pinstripe Bowl but that makes sense with the weather.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT