ADVERTISEMENT

Hey maybe we can play with Pitt... but we do tend to get hard matchups

Grafcat

May 27, 2006
Last year vs. Tennessee when Michigan got an offensively challenged Florida. Powerhouse Missouri, Auburn just before NC teams. UCLA. The list goes on and on.

Hey I hope we play with Pitt. Maybe it will be a shootout and a blast. But the other options like BC, Utah, NC State, others would have been much easier.... one of the reasons for our dismal bowl record is a consistent history -- whether luck or otherwise -- of tricky matchups. This certainly qualifies yet again.

We tend to get hard matchups? We have been the underdog for EVERY bowl game since 1949. Twelve bowl games in a row. Many bowl games we were double-digit dogs. I don't mind it because they represent a nice challenge, but it's amazing how EVERY year we are the underdog.

We tend to get hard matchups? We have been the underdog for EVERY bowl game since 1949. Twelve bowl games in a row. Many bowl games we were double-digit dogs. I don't mind it because they represent a nice challenge, but it's amazing how EVERY year we are the underdog.
We were favorites in the Gator Bowl.

Last year vs. Tennessee when Michigan got an offensively challenged Florida. Powerhouse Missouri, Auburn just before NC teams. UCLA. The list goes on and on.

Hey I hope we play with Pitt. Maybe it will be a shootout and a blast. But the other options like BC, Utah, NC State, others would have been much easier.... one of the reasons for our dismal bowl record is a consistent history -- whether luck or otherwise -- of tricky matchups. This certainly qualifies yet again.

In no scenario would drawing Utah "have been much easier." Pitt is a tough match up, the Utes would be equally so.

I remember that changed right before the game. I forget if we went from underdog to favorite or the other way around. Either way, that one was a toss-up going in.
Pretty sure we closed as favorites.

Just queried the database on bowl game spreads, we have never been favored, kinda messy but the 2nd team is the home team, and the spread is for the home team, and the W/L is if we covered the spread

Jan 1, 2016 NWESTN 6 TENN 45 L -9.5 L 48.5 O
Jan 1, 2013 NWESTN 34 MIS.ST 20 W -1.0 W 54.5 U
Dec 31, 2011 TEXA&M 33 NWESTN 22 L +9.5 L 69.0 U
Jan 1, 2011 NWESTN 38 TXTECH 45 L -7.5 W 63.0 O
Jan 1, 2010 NWESTN 35 AUBRN 38 L -9.0 W 54.5 O
Dec 29, 2008 NWESTN 23 MIZZOU 30 L -14.0 W 67.0 U
Dec 30, 2005 NWESTN 38 UCLA 50 L -3.0 L 74.0 O
Dec 26, 2003 NWESTN 24 BGREEN 28 L -7.5 W 55.0 U
Dec 30, 2000 NEBR 66 NWESTN 17 L +14.5 L 64.5 O
Jan 1, 1996 USC 41 NWESTN 32 L +3.0 L 41.5 O

Nebraska beat the Alamo Bowl over-under on its own?? Yikes.
I hated that game. Hearing the announcer say "Another Alamo Bowl record..." after nearly every Nebraska offensive play got very, very old.

We play better against better teams. Pitt is an example of a great team. We came within one play of beating OSU. I am stoked for this matchup. Bring it on! I think Fitz and co. will have the boys ready to rock against another one of the best teams in the nation. As already itemized, we came within two yards of beating Auburn- who won the national championship the next year. It all depends on which team shows up for this matchup. I hope it is us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT