ADVERTISEMENT

Ho hum, another day, another Baylor scandal

Christian Baptist school correct? Curious how much involvement the national church administration has to do with the university?

Christian Baptist school correct? Curious how much involvement the national church administration has to do with the university?
Baylor is part of the Texas Baptists organizations, which is an offshoot of the Southern Baptists. I have a number of family members who attended Baylor, including my mother and her brother, and my great uncle taught there for many years. I know that my family members are disgusted about what happened and how the university apparently put football success above everything else. I talked about this at some length recently with my mother. Ken Starr and Art Briles are gone, and there is a lot of soul searching going on in that community.

I have no personal connection to Penn State, but that situation appears to be one in which more people are still in denial. The Penn State identity has traditionally been much more tied to football and its team's success than Baylor's has, and as a result, I think it's been harder for the Penn State community to truly confront and accept the horrible things that happened.

Last edited:

Baylor is connected to an organization called the "Baptist General Convention of Texas," which is only loosely affiliated with the (national) Southern Baptist Convention. There's also a "Southern Baptists of Texas Convention", which I would suppose is much more closely tied to the SBC. The "Baptist General Convention" and the "Southern Baptists of Texas" have two completely different websites. So I think the answer to your question is "almost none to none".

Why don't Baptists make love while standing up?
People might think they're dancing.

(Disclaimer: I was brought up in a similar conservative denomination, and that joke is pretty close to the truth)

Why don't Baptists make love while standing up?
People might think they're dancing.

(Disclaimer: I was brought up in a similar conservative denomination, and that joke is pretty close to the truth)
Ha, and the reason Baylor is not invited to Bowl games is, the Baptists bring the Ten Commandments and a ten dollar bill and don't break either one.

I cannot imagine any parent sending their daughter to Baylor

Wtf

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-t...aped-least-4-ex-baylor-players-154509881.html
New Title IX suit alleges woman was gang-raped by 'at least' 4 ex-Baylor players

Some schools use Navy SEAL training as bonding experiences, others use gang rape....just disgusting.

"The Tribune story said that the suit alleges:

... the football team had a system of hazing freshman recruits by having them bring freshman females to parties to be drugged and gang raped, “or in the words of the football players, ‘trains’ would be run on the girls.”

Considered a bonding experience by the players, according to the suit, the rapes were also photographed and videotaped, and the plaintiff confirmed that at least one 21-second videotape of two Baylor students being gang raped by football players had circulated."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article151054487.html

After the Baylor basketball team was led by arguably the worst human being (non-Sandusky division) in the history of college sports, who'd have thought the football team might become an even worse stain on the university?

After the Baylor basketball team was led by arguably the worst human being (non-Sandusky division) in the history of college sports, who'd have thought the football team might become an even worse stain on the university?
Ian McCaw is AD at Liberty University and Dave Bliss was, until recently, basketball coach at
Southwestern Christian University, both fine Christian institutions; so obviously there is nothing to see here, move along.

Some schools use Navy SEAL training as bonding experiences, others use gang rape....just disgusting.

"The Tribune story said that the suit alleges:

... the football team had a system of hazing freshman recruits by having them bring freshman females to parties to be drugged and gang raped, “or in the words of the football players, ‘trains’ would be run on the girls.”

Considered a bonding experience by the players, according to the suit, the rapes were also photographed and videotaped, and the plaintiff confirmed that at least one 21-second videotape of two Baylor students being gang raped by football players had circulated."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article151054487.html
People are (allegedly) awful.

Baylor could be worse. They seem to actually encourage the behavior and not try to stop it even now. Ped State just seems to be in defiant denial

PSU's handling of Sandusky was similar to the Catholic church or schools which have let sexual predators move from school to school based on their silence (the let's bury our head in the sand and hope this goes away approach).

Aside from the notoriety, would say that PSU's athletics and FB in particular is very diff. from Baylor.

Penn State makes sure that its players attend class and have no issue suspending players (even for bowl games) for academics.

Nothing like some Christian values!

Aside from Baylor and the hiring of Baylor's former AD by Liberty "University" - one certainly has to wonder (but then again, look at Faux News - promoting family values and yet was a cesspool behind the scenes; and even in front of the camera was all about showing the assets of their female on-air talent).

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the Bible Belt.

Just look at Kentucky.

The flagship state school hired a head coach who has had question-marks about his ethics at virtually every stop in his career, but the fans were ecstatic in the hiring.

And the other big sports school has a cesspool for its revenue programs - led by 2 coaches who have broken their marriage vows (yes, let's protect the sanctity of marriage).

Yeah, the Baylor basketball player who shot and killed a teammate was no big deal.....

Or then head coach Bliss trying to frame the dead player as a drug dealer in order to cover up his own wrong-doing in having made illicit tuition payments for players.

And heading back to Texas, there's good ol' SMU - which had no problem hiring another ethically challenged coach in Larry Brown.

But hey, it worked.

Under Brown, SMU won its 1st conf title in 22 years and went to the NCAAs in Brown's 3rd year; the next season was banned from the NCAAs and Brown resigned, but under their new coach, SMU made the NCAAs again this year.

Reactions: Fitz51
Maybe the NCAA should be given religious standing.......looks good, talks good,,,,,,but when ya take the makeup off ...yikes!

Reactions: Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT