ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly Describe Your Posting Persona

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
A lot of us spend too much time on these boards, and have built a virtual community.

There's a lot of information here to appease diehard NU fans. There can also be some misunderstanding, often due to the anonymity of the internet. It would be interesting to have a little more background color of the posters here. Share as much or as little as you want.

I'll start with the following format.

====================/

Screen name: DaCat

Origin/meaning of name: Simplest name I could think of circa 1998 or so. Derived from DaBears.

Connection to NU: Alumnus, 1985 grad

Wildcat Report persona: Positive glass half-full attitude, playful bantering, irritated by sloppy trolling and too much negativity

Other: Went to NU during Dark Ages, now living in Wildcat Age of Enlightenment

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Screen Name: Smelly Cat
Origin/meaning of name: I was a fan of "Friends" when I joined and couldn't believe the name was available.
Connection to NU: 1993 graduate
Wildcat Report persona: Enthusiastic and optimistic. Non-confrontational. Would rather joke. Irritated by people who seem to hold grudges against each other, but rarely get involved (live and let live). Don't like to publicly complain about any players or coaches, even if I have the same frustrations of others.
Favorite Wildcats: Justin Jackson, Pat Fitzgerald, Lee Gissendaner, Len Williams, Kain Colter (I have no comment on his off-field activities, see above). Too many others to mention.
Favorite games attended: Rose Bowl, Michigan in 1996/2000, Purdue in 1995. Nebraska in 2018.

Wrestlerneverdiesasacatfan. You have to kill me to beat me or Northwestern. We both always come back stronger. Louey Vacher and company have locked me down three times. That's a record on here,which I am extremely proud of!

NewScreen Name: StreamCat
Origin/meaning of name: Carol Stream, Illinois, home of Justin Jackson
Connection to NU: long, long story. Not a grad. Started cheering for the Cats when I was four years old.
Wildcat Report persona: generally positive, however, I can get angry at weird, inexplicable times (I usually find that I misunderstood the original poster). Hate getting involved in multiple post arguments. I find something positive in most posters, though some can tick me off, plus I enjoy the occasional troll. I'm a gestalt, big picture kind of guy and don't enjoy getting into discussions on the minutiae of the game. Discussions about pro football hold zero interest for me.
Favorite Wildcats: Is now and always will be Ron Burton.
Favorite games attended: Oh, geez. I guess they'd be Michigan '96/2000, ND '95/'14, several Iowa games, several Wisconsin games, of course the defeat of Ohio Sate in 2004 (is that the right year?), The Outback Bowl loss to Auburn - the only loss that I was still glad I made the trip. Oh, I forgot the quick-kick-laden victory over number 1 Miami in 1967?, and the 300 plus yard performance of Mike Adamle against Wisconsin in 1969.

A lot of us spend too much time on these boards, and have built a virtual community.

There's a lot of information here to appease diehard NU fans. There can also be some misunderstanding, often due to the anonymity of the internet. It would be interesting to have a little more background color of the posters here. Share as much or as little as you want.

====================/

Origin/meaning of name: Simplest name I could think of circa 1998 or so. Derived from DaBears.

Wildcat Report persona: Positive glass half-full attitude, playful bantering, irritated by sloppy trolling and too much negativity

GOUNUII

Can't Remember.

1979 Grad.

Cincinnati

I am either respectful or nuclear depending on the topic and the poster. No in between. 90% respectful. 10% nuclear. My perspective on all things NU largely optimistic but still influenced by my welcome to NU sports first hand experiences during the dark ages. Very proud of my fandom and extremely grateful for the friends my wife and I have met through NU athletics and Rivals.

Poster I have known the longest. CoralDude. Poster I most admire. No Chores. Funniest Poster. UberCat. Posters we all should thank more often. FloridaDude and Lou. Smartest Poster. GladesCat. Posts of Poster I am most likely to read. MrCat95. Posters I have on ignore. St.PaulCat.

GOUNUII

Screen Name: Hungry Jack

Origin: Was "Hungary Jack" on a few other boards in homage of a year spent living in Budapest and my given Hungarian name from a German mother who studied classical music. Also a nod to my renowned ability to make and consume pancakes.

Location: Sovereign State of Lakeview in People's Republic of Chicago

NU Connection: 1989 graduate, CAS.

Persona: Humorous (I hope) and whimsical at times, with infrequent bipolar outbursts of analytical rigor or raw emotion at perceived slights. Occasional delusions of grandeur. Brilliant, but somewhat unstable.

Favorite Wildcats: Pretty much all of them.

Favorite Games Attended: 1995 over PSU; 1995 over Wisconsin; 1996 over Michigan; 2004 over OSU; 2008 over ILL; 2018 over UNL; 2006 over Eastern Michigan (just kidding)

Last edited:
Screen Name: Hungry Jack

Origin: Was "Hungary Jack" on a few other boards in homage of a year spent living in Budapest and my given Hungarian name from a German mother who studied classical music. Also a nod to my renowned ability to make and consume pancakes.

Location: Sovereign State of Lakeview in People's Republic of Chicago

Persona: Humorous (I hope) and whimsical at times, with infrequent bipolar outbursts of analytical rigor or raw emotion at perceived slights. Occasional delusions of grandeur. Brilliant, but somewhat unstable.

Favorite Wildcats: Pretty much all of them.

Favorite Games Attended: 1995 over PSU; 1995 over Wisconsin; 1996 over Michigan; 2004 over OSU; 2008 over ILL; 2018 over UNL; 2006 over Eastern Michigan (just kidding)
Oh, geez, I forgot '95 Penn State

Screen name: Rhabdowildcat

Origin/meaning of name: Well rhabdo means rod shaped and I wish I could say my handle is phallic based but it is not. Made my name while sitting in medical school microbiology and learning about rabies, the rhabdovirus.

Connection to NU: Alumnus, 2007 grad.

Wildcat Report persona: Irreverent, confrontational with sprinkles of rah rah.

Other: One of the few Wildcat sports fans amongst my peer group. Rivals is my outlet. I love to call out gocatsgo2003. Evanstoncat is my idol though I hate Stanford more than OSU. I learned there is a Midvale, Utah today.

Reactions: DaCat
Screen name: Rhabdowildcat

Origin/meaning of name: Well rhabdo means rod shaped and I wish I could say my handle is phallic based but it is not. Made my name while sitting in medical school microbiology and learning about rabies, the rhabdovirus.

Connection to NU: Alumnus, 2007 grad.

Wildcat Report persona: Irreverent, confrontational with sprinkles of rah rah.

Other: One of the few Wildcat sports fans amongst my peer group. Rivals is my outlet. I love to call out gocatsgo2003. Evanstoncat is my idol though I hate Stanford more than OSU. I learned there is a Midvale, Utah today.
Favorite Wildcat: Tyrell Sutton and JJTBC.

Favorite games: OSU 2004. Stanford 2016. Outback vs Auburn and Dunsmore’s epic catch and run. Anytime we beat Iowa. Gator Bowl win vs Miss St.

I grew up in LA and my first memory of NU was going to Lawry’s as a kid and seeing the Northwestern helmet with all the signatures during the Rose Bowl year. Had no idea where NU was and only that they were in the BIG10. Little did I know that years later I would attend Northwestern.

Reactions: SimpsonElmwood

====================/

Screen Name: Aging Booster
I graduated from NU in 1978. I attended NU in part because of its Big Ten affiliation, something that was threatened during the Strotz era. I joined a frat that counted several football players (as well as athletes on other sports) as members and I grew to appreciate the special character of the Big Ten athlete at NU.In response to the administration's hostility to intercollegiate athletics, I along with ten others, helped Dennis Green to found the Gridiron Network in the early 1980s. The guiding purposes of the group were to help the head coach financially and to organize donors and alums who cared about intercollegiate athletics to pressure the school into supporting the program (budget, facilities, recruiting, et.al.) My views of the program are largely shaped by those early experiences. Everybody knows NU as a very good academic institution, but for decades it also had a reputation as "The North Shore Country Club", home of beautiful women and well-rounded gentlemen. That is the NU I was drawn to. The Greek system and a strong football team are essential to the re-invigoration of that image. I want to see NU not only compete on the gridiron, but to win multiple championships. Only then can the school erase the nearly disastrous Strotz era from people's minds. Even those too young to remember Strotz or the '70s and '80s cannot escape the predominate popular impressions of NU that were created during that time period. Always beating teams we "should" beat and winning championships are the necessary correctives. I think Fitz is unquestionably the right man for the job; but fear that at least one change in his assistants is necessary before we can reach the goals I have for this program.

Screen name Williesfan- derived from the mascot

Affiliation- 20 plus year season ticket holder non-alum

Reside in the northwest burbs

Favorite game Michigan baby or the couple of trips to Lincoln even maybe the West Point loss.

Border line asshat heckling fool who welcomes opposing fans to hits tailgate. However enjoys kicking visiting fans squatting in my seat when I enter the game.

Screen name: zbag51

Origin: last name starts with Z, some people i used to work with “creatively” starting calling me Z-bag, and it stuck, within that group. 51 is obvious.

Connection: NU grad, 2004

Favorite Games Attended: Michigan 2000, Gator Bowl, recency bias may be playing a part, but this year’s Nebraska game sure was exciting! I’m sure there are several more

Favorite players: Persa, Eric Peterman (i swear he caught everything thrown in his direction), JJTBC, McGarigle (that guy tackled EVERYBODY, glad he’s back with the Cats)

Persona: I mostly read everything I can since I have no ability to analyze recruits, plays, or players on my own. I will make a few comments here and there, but usually don’t add much of substance to the conversation. Just joined earlier this year, and I really enjoy it!

Screen name: TheC

NU Connection: 1992 Tech grad

WR Persona: Mild-mannered; calm; always rationale; not one to cause trouble; prone to lying

Favorite Wildcats: Richard Buchanan; Bob Christian; Darnell Autry; Kain Colter (especially when he was playing QB... or starting unions)

Other: Was the public address announcer for many NU non-rev sports during my years at NU

Screen name: Alan Smithee

Origin/meaning of name: That's the name directors attach to their films when they don't want their name associated with the work - either a big flop or their vision was hopelessly compromised. Previously I was Terminal V Cat. A lot of people mistakenly thought I worked at O'Hare

Wildcat Report persona: Smartass. At some point long ago, was a moderator. Both are thankless; being a smartass has fewer downsides I care about.

Other: Went to NU during Dark Ages, now living in Wildcat Age of Enlightenment. I remember OwlVision, that Coach Roy really wasn't a coach, that ILoveWomen was BobbyD and that both were pompous asses, and just how much talent there was at TCU, on and off the field.

Screen name: Sheffielder

Origin/meaning of name: I lived on North Sheffield Ave down the street from Wrigley when I found the board in 2004. Lack of creativity.

Connection to NU: 2008 master's grad but have been a fan most of my life before that...grew up in the northeast in a family where sports were not a big deal...got to high school where all my friends were fans of other Big Ten schools or Notre Dame...there wasn't a natural home team to root for (Rutgers? Ha!) so I went with Northwestern because no one else was rooting for them and my high school mascot was a wildcat...so...seemed logical at the time. Then they beat Notre Dame and won back to back conference titles and I've been stuck here ever since.

Wildcat Report persona: My expectations are actually very low - six wins and a bowl game...but as long as Fitz insists on saying he wants to win the West and go to the Rose Bowl, I'm gonna hold him to it and be angry when he's not making obvious decisions to get us there.

Other: I don't have anything else.

Screen name: HawkCat

Origin/meaning of name: I grew up in Iowa as a Hawkeye fan before attending NU, and later obtained a law degree from Iowa. I adopted the HawkCat moniker on Rivals in November 1998 to engage in debates on the schools' two boards regarding simultaneous coaching succession controversies.

Connection to NU: 1985 Medill graduate

Wildcat Report persona: Historically, I have tried to defend the university, the players, and the coaches from unwarranted criticism--although this tendency sometimes disappears in game threads when I react too viscerally and/or under the influence. As someone who never strapped on the pads after junior high, I occasionally post football opinions that are based more on emotion than deep football knowledge. I value the observations of several board "experts," but wish they got along better. (After all, we are on the same side!)

Other: I participated in a few goalpost lakings in my day. When my two schools play each other, I root for NU. I am proud of how NU's program succeeds both on and off the field. Without the latter, the former would not mean nearly as much.

Screen Name: FitzFan
Origin/meaning of name: Used an online rap name generator
Connection to NU: Parents are alums and current faculty. I was also born and raised in Evanston
Current location: Wisconsin
Wildcat Report persona: I post gifs, mostly
Favorite Wildcats: Musso, Patty Fitz, Kustok, Sam Simmons, Basanez, McGarigle, Budzien, Jedi Master Bo Cisek vs. the Illini
Favorite games attended: 2000 Michigan, 2004 OSU, 2009 Outback Bowl (despite the outcome), 2013 OSU (despite the outcome)
Least favorite games attended: 2006 MSU, 2016 Outback Bowl

Screen name: OblioCat

Origin/meaning of name: H.S nickname, from Oblio in "The Point," 1971 movie. Never had a dog named Arrow though.

Connection to NU: Tech '85, The Ancient Ones in my family were Accounting grads back in the 1920's who as FBI agents helped convict Al Capone.

Wildcat Report persona: Try to contribute, offer new information when possible and not be cumbersome.

Other: I have the utmost respect for all the men and women who participate in V1, V2 and club sports, managing their time while fully committing to their sport and academics. NU Student Athletes are some of the best people I have ever met. My undergrad years would not have been as wonderful without their friendship and example.

Reactions: DaCat
Screen name: NUinIowaFan

Origin/meaning of name: At the time was living in Iowa, and hating Iowa football being a huge NU fan surrounded by the Iowa masses........

Connection to NU: Our son went there and as he was pledging a fraternity, they all were going to be in the front row with painted chests - during the NU - OSU night game in 2004...I watched that game only for the change to see him as I was not a football fan of anything at that time. OMG! I have never watched such an exciting football game in my life, and I was a die-hard NU fan by the end!! as the fans stormed the field after the craziest of wins!!

Location: Just moved to Indiana - right in the heart of Big 10 and looking forward to seeing NU games at Purdue or IU, or MSU or MI or OSU, or even heading over to Chicago to take in a game. it's going to be awesome!

Wildcat Report persona: I mostly lurk and read and try to learn more about the game and strategy....I miss some of the original posters that used to make me laugh. Occasionally, I may post something if I have something to share.

Other: I do wish the guy that was making the short videos after the football games would come back - doggone it, those were amazing!!! My favorite games have been anytime we beat Iowa (I attended one of those at NU and another at the Iowa stadium - both were amazing!!) and that last time we beat Notre Dame was pretty amazing as well as the 2004 win against OSU - so basically I will be ecstatic this year if we beat Iowa and ND!!! plus all the rest of course! and win the Western Division - oh yeah!!

Screen name: NUinIowaFan

Origin/meaning of name: At the time was living in Iowa, and hating Iowa football being a huge NU fan surrounded by the Iowa masses........

Connection to NU: Our son went there and as he was pledging a fraternity, they all were going to be in the front row with painted chests - during the NU - OSU night game in 2004...I watched that game only for the change to see him as I was not a football fan of anything at that time. OMG! I have never watched such an exciting football game in my life, and I was a die-hard NU fan by the end!! as the fans stormed the field after the craziest of wins!!

Location: Just moved to Indiana - right in the heart of Big 10 and looking forward to seeing NU games at Purdue or IU, or MSU or MI or OSU, or even heading over to Chicago to take in a game. it's going to be awesome!

Wildcat Report persona: I mostly lurk and read and try to learn more about the game and strategy....I miss some of the original posters that used to make me laugh. Occasionally, I may post something if I have something to share.

Other: I do wish the guy that was making the short videos after the football games would come back - doggone it, those were amazing!!! My favorite games have been anytime we beat Iowa (I attended one of those at NU and another at the Iowa stadium - both were amazing!!) and that last time we beat Notre Dame was pretty amazing as well as the 2004 win against OSU - so basically I will be ecstatic this year if we beat Iowa and ND!!! plus all the rest of course! and win the Western Division - oh yeah!!
Your son and I may know each other well ;)

I think the guy (NUBears was it?) had to take it down due to copyright issues. Those were great highlights.

Reactions: RevCat
Screen name : NorthNJCatsfan
Origin of name : cadged from NJcatsfan
Connection to NU : son ( NJcatsfan ), Medill ‘07.
Wildcat Report persona : hope to achieve one.
Other : I love this program’s ethos, a dying model in today’s world. I’m a tech Luddite and not on social media, so this is my one forum for discourse with people I don’t know ( although I’ve now enjoyed getting to know a few of you, most recently good to see CSC at the Rutgers game ). While there are occasionally posts which are disappointing — including my own!— I really like the wit and resolute hope that is reflected by the NU faithful on this board and the Rock.

Screen Name: FrancisSearle75
Origin/meaning of name: I unintentionally misspelled the name of the building (Frances Searle) that most of my academic concentration's classes were held.
Connection to NU: Speech '98
Wildcat Report persona: Realist. I don't think you can compete for national championships if you are recruiting upstanding, academically minded kids and running a clean program. I'm a big fan of the current coaching staff and I believe that Fitz is an outstanding representative of the university. I am even more convinced of this when I read about the dumpster fire that is Illinois Football.
Favorite Wildcats: D'Wayne Bates, Darnell Autry, Chris Martin, Hudhaifa Ismaeli, Jason Wright, Dan Persa, Lee Gissendaner
Favorite games attended: Boston College 1993, Wisconsin and Penn State 1995, Rose Bowl 1996, Iowa 2010, Wrigley Game 2010 (for the experience. the actual game sucked.)
Other: My wife marvels at how much time I waste lurking on this and the BB message board. Sometimes I tell her I'm visiting porn sites just to show her I have other interests.

Screen name; BoJERJ
Just part of my last name and first initials of family.
Grad: 1976. Beginning of Dark Ages. Lived in frat next to FB players but got along well.
STH since 1986. Favorite game I attended was the Penn State Game in Rose Bowl year
because I knew for first time in my years we were finally relevant.

No, his dad is a great guy. I actually gave my extra ND tix to him as I was pretty sure they wouldn't end up in a ND fan's hands.
Joe Spivak's parents are really wonderful. I've seen them at Maryland and Rutgers. They are self-effacing yet proud of Joe and the Cats.

Screen Name: SimpsonElmwood

Origin/meaning of name: Lived on Simpson and Elmwood streets in Evanston senior year and immediately after graduation. Also was in the first year of Allison Hall being co-ed and 1835 Hinman.

Connection to NU: CAS '89

Location: New York NY. Grew up in Honolulu. Same HS as Chad Hanaoka.

Wildcat Report persona: Faith that Fitz and CCC are experts in their sports and trust their decisions (I do wonder about Fitz's time out management). Recognize that a return of the Dark Ages are always possible so I am thankful for their present success. Immensely proud of how the Cats carry themselves on and off the field.

Favorite Wildcats: Hanaoka, Huidafa Ishmaeli, Len Williams, Lee Gissendaner, Darnell Autry, D'Wayne Bates, Sam Valensizi, Brett Basanez, Zak Kustok, Sherrick McManis, Justin Jackson.

Favorite games attended: NIU 1985 (my first game), all 1995 games + at PU and ILL, 1995 Rose Bowl, 1996 MI, at WIS and IA 1996, 1997 MSU (blocked FG), 1998 @ Hawaii, 2000 MI, 2004 OSU and @ Hawaii, 2013 @ Cal, 2014 @ PSU and @ND, 2015 Stanford, 2017 @MD, 2018 @RU. Plus the 2017 Vanderbilt and 1988 Indiana hoops games.

Other: I met my wife at Allison Hall, so my older daughter is named Allison.

Last edited:
Screen name: Pete Purple

Origin/meaning of name: I think Purple Pete was taken long ago (possibly by me) while I was a lurker. I didn’t bother contacting Rivals to see.

Connection to NU: Alumnus, Music 1988, CAS 1989 (5 year double degree program)

Wildcat Report persona: Optomistic, and usually I’ll find a silver lining. But, still mad that the refs let Michigan get off the winning FG with all the movement on the line a few years back. On the board I can’t stand condescension (I’ll usually just move along). I often ask questions because I appreciate what I can learn here. Have enjoyed meeting a few of you at games. Technology challenged when trying to post pics and video. Oh yeah-I enjoy poking fun at annoying board visitors from opposing fanbases.

Other: In 1984 as a freshman I helped “lake” a post. I was at the basketball game when GB said he would take the Purple to Pasadena. I go to most men’s hoops games as well. Married, with boy/girl twins who are juniors at NTHS.

Screen name: Pete Purple

Origin/meaning of name: I think Purple Pete was taken long ago (possibly by me) while I was a lurker. I didn’t bother contacting Rivals to see.

Connection to NU: Alumnus, Music 1988, CAS 1989 (5 year double degree program)

Wildcat Report persona: Optomistic, and usually I’ll find a silver lining. But, still mad that the refs let Michigan get off the winning FG with all the movement on the line a few years back. On the board I can’t stand condescension (I’ll usually just move along). I often ask questions because I appreciate what I can learn here. Have enjoyed meeting a few of you at games. Technology challenged when trying to post pics and video. Oh yeah-I enjoy poking fun at annoying board visitors from opposing fanbases.

Other: In 1984 as a freshman I helped “lake” a post. I was at the basketball game when GB said he would take the Purple to Pasadena. I go to most men’s hoops games as well. Married, with boy/girl twins who are juniors at NTHS.
Wrassler graduated in 84! I laked the post also. Fun! Lots of guys on here were in school back in the eighties! Good times.

Screen name: NUAlum78

Origin/meaning of name: Simple fact-based name reveals stunning creativity

Connection to NU: 1978 grad CAS

Wildcat Report persona: ask a few questions, mostly enjoy reading other posts for insights - avoid the infighting posts

Other: Lived in Chicago during dark ages, didn't go to a lot of games. In Ann Arbor in 1995 - 1997, really enjoyed the 1995 game at Michigan, which jump started my football fanaticism. Drove to a couple of games in Evanston, took my Dad to the Rose Bowl, and haven't looked back. Grew up in Nebraska so I go to that game every year. Try to make 2 - 3 games a year and most bowls.

Screen name: epicbret

Origin/meaning of name: Simple concatenation

Connection to NU: Uncle played football at NU in the DA

Wildcat Report persona: watches way too much football, one-time Malin Jones proponent

Other: Dad of three girls, operate a website as a hobby and am in tech

Connection to NU: Uncle played football at NU in the DA

I've never seen the Dark Ages referred to as "the DA" - I assumed at first you were talking about Darnell Autry or Damian Anderson. It's ironic (it's not ironic) that the initials are the same.

Screen Name: Deeringfish. Family mythology has it that we are some how related to the Deering Library family. I've done some genealogy research recently and can't find the connection. (Personally disappointing, but not important)

My dad grew up in Evanston during the building of the library, hopped the fence to watch games in the early 30's. Mom and dad both were NU alums. Dad lettered in football as the student manager in 1939. Traveled on the train with the team to the Rose Bowl in 49? as the team Doc. Season tickets are still in the family since the late 40's (I think). I have early memories of going to the N Man's lunches before the games as a kid. Grew up on the South side.

I tend to think every little improvement makes a difference, Japanese Kaizen. This drives GCG 2006 and my wife nuts but served me well in life.

Never played football so the higher level schemes, intricacies and terminology are a bit of a mystery to me.

Lived a long time in the U.P. of Michigan, Now in Midway, UT.

I try to stay optimistic but realize I shouldn't post much when I'm disappointed and had a couple of drinks. I get really tired of the pissing matches between posters if they go on and on especially when there has been something of substance in the tread.

I enjoy the community on the board overall very much.

Screen Name: PURPLE BOOK Cat
Origin: I was a progenitor of one of the more controversial publications to ever grace campus, the “Purple Book,” which among other things humorously presented the prevailingly understood stereotypes of each fraternity and sorority (though many did not find it funny) and summarized the best hidden places on campus to consume illicit substances. It triggered a ban, a subsequent first amendment debate, and got me kicked out of my fraternity.
Connection: graduated in ‘04, attended nearly every game of the thrilling 2000 season as a freshman. Connected in the NU football and Chicago sports community.
Persona: presenter of opinions heard regardless of their veracity, without fear of drumming up controversy or scandal

Origin: I was a progenitor of one of the more controversial publications to ever grace campus, the “Purple Book,” which among other things humorously presented the prevailingly understood stereotypes of each fraternity and sorority (though many did not find it funny) and summarized the best hidden places on campus to consume illicit substances. It triggered a ban, a subsequent first amendment debate, and got me kicked out of my fraternity.
Connection: graduated in ‘04, attended nearly every game of the thrilling 2000 season as a freshman. Connected in the NU football and Chicago sports community.
Persona: presenter of opinions heard regardless of their veracity, without fear of drumming up controversy or scandal
Any way to get a copy of the "Purple book"?

Anyone who stands up against political correctness is a hero to me.

Any way to get a copy of the "Purple book"?

Unfortunately not, but the versions I co-authored are held in the university archives if you feel like swinging by Deering Library before a game. I would avoid perusing the copycats after 2004, where the authors succumbed to the pressures of PanHel and IFC and left out the stereotypes

(from memory, there were things like "the cocaine-fueled adventures of this house led to their subsequent termination when they decided to feed a whale corn whiskey, along with the enclosing flask, at a recent formal held at the Shedd Aquarium..." "the girls of this house are like gold plated roses, except that the roses are covered in thorns and shoved up each other's asses...")

I think the transcript of the book can be found somewhere online.

Unfortunately not, but the versions I co-authored are held in the university archives if you feel like swinging by Deering Library before a game. I would avoid perusing the copycats after 2004, where the authors succumbed to the pressures of PanHel and IFC and left out the stereotypes

(from memory, there were things like "the cocaine-fueled adventures of this house led to their subsequent termination when they decided to feed a whale corn whiskey, along with the enclosing flask, at a recent formal held at the Shedd Aquarium..." "the girls of this house are like gold plated roses, except that the roses are covered in thorns and shoved up each other's asses...")

I think the transcript of the book can be found somewhere online.
I remember the Purple Book quite fondly. It allowed you to facebook stalk your classmates (at least a headshot) before facebook was a thing!

XYZBOBXYZ - My name is Bob and that ID was taken. Soon,m I will take on a new identity and all my fans that have me on ignore will once again be graced with my thoughts.

I like to think of myself as a rational, realistic NU fan. My cynicism stems from my roots as a south side Sox fan. While I will always root for NU, I will call out the problems, pimples and choices that I question as I see them. So, it makes me unpopular on a Board like this. I also am the self appointed defender of those persecuted by the Board's self appointed police or the Purple Koolaid Clique. While I have no problem with homers, any more than wrasslers ridiculous posts, I do take an affront to a homer telling me, or others, how to be a fan, to decide for us whether we are fans or otherwise personally attacking those wanting to express opinions. In these latter roles, I often escalate, alcohol infused, and use my crafty lawyering techniques to frustrate, piss off and otherwise entertain me with the targets of my wrath. I try to be careful to step within the rules and try to push the other side into breaking the rules to provide me further cover. This is why a few around here truly despise me - I am pretty good at this skill.

I graduated from NU in '92 (CAS) and was a scholarship athlete in S&D. I returned in the early 2000's to get an Environmental Engineering. I also was an ATO - during the first matriculation. When I returned, I wandered around the house for about 20 minutes before I figured out is wasn't the ATO house in longer. Though I became friends with a few classmates including some football players and attended several undergrad parties during the second time around. I still giggle about it.

The other - I like to fly and have a small plane. No wife or kids (fingers crossed) but I have a girlfriend too young and way too pretty for me, I think she looks like Lara Croft and refer to her as Lara around here (several have met her, someone gave her some nifty earmuffs that she still wears form time to time). I am very involved in a not-for-profit scuba organization in Chicago and oversee our travel - so I get around a lot. I grew up on the southside of Chicago, moved to the northside in my 30's and now live in the Indiana Dunes in my 40's. Oh, I am much more like-able in person, or so I have been told.

And I want to see the Purple Book too!

Reactions: NU Houston
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT