ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly Describe Your Posting Persona

Unfortunately not, but the versions I co-authored are held in the university archives if you feel like swinging by Deering Library before a game. I would avoid perusing the copycats after 2004, where the authors succumbed to the pressures of PanHel and IFC and left out the stereotypes

(from memory, there were things like "the cocaine-fueled adventures of this house led to their subsequent termination when they decided to feed a whale corn whiskey, along with the enclosing flask, at a recent formal held at the Shedd Aquarium..." "the girls of this house are like gold plated roses, except that the roses are covered in thorns and shoved up each other's asses...")

I think the transcript of the book can be found somewhere online.
I think I know the house. And I was 30 years earlier.

Screen name: kreggk

Origin/meaning of name: first name and last initial. I probably thought I was entering a username at the time. Who knows?

Connection to NU: Kellogg '92; grew up a UM fan and crossed over to the good side after attending games during grad school. My former (late) boss bought season tickets in the Wildcat Den for me while I worked for him. Nice perk.

Location: Indianapolis (since March) by way of New Buffalo, MI (2004-March 2018) by way of North Side of Chicago (1987-2004)

Wildcat Report persona: Mostly positive. Typically post informational stuff. Sometimes I lose it and bitch a bit when we have an unexpected loss, but that's not too often. My favorite posters are the ones with great senses of humor. If I laugh out loud, they get a like.

Fav game was 2000 UM

Other: My buddy (Tim - another NU diehard) yelled at A-Train for fumbling the game away (he was tearing up and looked up as he left the field). I said, "he'll get drafted by the Bears and find you..."
Fast forward to the first day of Bears training camp 2001...I got Anthony's signature which I had him sign: " Tim, I know where you live - Anthony Thomas"
I thought it would make a good birthday gift.

Screen name: Phatcat
Origin: A girl in my high school playfully nicknamed me but for no apparent reason. Note that I am neither phat nor fat in the literal sense. Well, maybe a little fat
Connection: 1984 grad
Persona: non grata. No, seriously, I love snide jokes and puns during the week, but I turn into a combination Mr Hyde cum Chicken Little during and after NU games.
Other: you may find this surprising, shocking even, but I cant stand anything to do with Michigan football From their annoying coach to their ubiquitous baby-poop yellow logo.

However...teeth clenched...no evidence of child rape, coed rape, sexual violence, domestic violence, criminal negligence in a kids death for overwork, or (insert list of Rutgers hilarity here) or (list of outrageous SEC payments here). Gotta count for something

Reactions: RhabdoWildcat
I've never seen the Dark Ages referred to as "the DA" - I assumed at first you were talking about Darnell Autry or Damian Anderson. It's ironic (it's not ironic) that the initials are the same.
It's shorthand from taking notes in Medieval history class. I'm lazy.

Reactions: StreamCat
My original persona on the board was called puffcat (I kid.)

Handle: GoUPurple, selected in spring 1995 when I opened my AOL account, which was the cyber equivalent of a dixie cup with a broken string hanging from it.

Board persona: rare to infrequent. Had more time to post & rant long ago. Notre Dame week has apparently smoked me from my hole. I care too much about the team's uniforms.

I too am very familiar with the house to which Purple Book refers, but about 15 years earlier.

Reactions: TheC and DaCat
I too am very familiar with the house to which Purple Book refers, but about 15 years earlier.

Interesting. I also am very familiar with that house, about 20 years earlier than the described incident. You, stpaulcat, and I might have something in common.

Reactions: GoUPurple
My original persona on the board was called puffcat (I kid.)

Handle: GoUPurple, selected in spring 1995 when I opened my AOL account, which was the cyber equivalent of a dixie cup with a broken string hanging from it.

Board persona: rare to infrequent. Had more time to post & rant long ago. Notre Dame week has apparently smoked me from my hole. I care too much about the team's uniforms.

A thread "can't be all that bad" if it has references to Puffcat and BobbyD. In that vein, here's a nod to Ishmael.

Screen Name: LACatFan

Origin/meaning of name: L.A. has been home since I moved here after my time at Northwestern. Entirely unoriginal moniker, which I’ve considered changing at times. But that would take work. Maybe “LazyCat” would be more apropos for me?

Connection to NU: Kellogg class of ’96. Worked a group project that involved the ’94-’95 football team, which is how I got hooked. “KelloggCat” is already taken.

Location: Hollywood Hills, preceded by SF Bay Area, Santa Monica, Evanston, Toronto, London, and more. So maybe “NomadCat”?

Wildcat Report Persona: Self-deprecating, effacing, with a dash of always well intentioned irreverence. I use to let the outcome of games impact my mood and disposition far too much. The loss to UNL (courtesy of Mr. Kellogg, which my brother reveled in roasting me about, but I digress…) back in ’13 was the straw that broke this cat’s back. I now try to never take myself or anyone else in this clearly passionate community too seriously. “LightenUpCat”?

Favorite Wildcats: So many to list that many of you already have. In no particular order I’ll throw out some love to Matt Hartl, Jeff Roehl, Brian Peters, Brian Musso, Brendan Smith, Jeff Backes, Jason Wright, Jeff Budzien, (now Coach) Lou Ayeni, Sean Wieber, C.J. Bacher, Anthony Walker, and JJTBC. “FickleCat”?

Favorite Games: PSU (’95), UM (’96), UM (’00), OSU (’04), @ MSU (’05), Wiscy (’05), @ UNL (’11), Gator Bowl (’13), @ ND (’14), @ PSU (’14), Stanford (’15). “GoodTimesCat”?

Other: Today marks another year on this planet for me. So for my birthday I’d like a W over Notre Dame tomorrow, please. And of course, a win over the B1G East champs on 12/1. GO CATS! “OldFartCat”?

Reactions: TheC

Origin/meaning of name: L.A. has been home since I moved here after my time at Northwestern. Entirely unoriginal moniker, which I’ve considered changing at times. But that would take work. Maybe “LazyCat” would be more apropos for me?

Connection to NU: Kellogg class of ’96. Worked a group project that involved the ’94-’95 football team, which is how I got hooked. “KelloggCat” is already taken.

Location: Hollywood Hills, preceded by SF Bay Area, Santa Monica, Evanston, Toronto, London, and more. So maybe “NomadCat”?

Wildcat Report Persona: Self-deprecating, effacing, with a dash of always well intentioned irreverence. I use to let the outcome of games impact my mood and disposition far too much. The loss to UNL (courtesy of Mr. Kellogg, which my brother reveled in roasting me about, but I digress…) back in ’13 was the straw that broke this cat’s back. I now try to never take myself or anyone else in this clearly passionate community too seriously. “LightenUpCat”?

Favorite Wildcats: So many to list that many of you already have. In no particular order I’ll throw out some love to Matt Hartl, Jeff Roehl, Brian Peters, Brian Musso, Brendan Smith, Jeff Backes, Jason Wright, Jeff Budzien, (now Coach) Lou Ayeni, Sean Wieber, C.J. Bacher, Anthony Walker, and JJTBC. “FickleCat”?

Favorite Games: PSU (’95), UM (’96), UM (’00), OSU (’04), @ MSU (’05), Wiscy (’05), @ UNL (’11), Gator Bowl (’13), @ ND (’14), @ PSU (’14), Stanford (’15). “GoodTimesCat”?

Other: Today marks another year on this planet for me. So for my birthday I’d like a W over Notre Dame tomorrow, please. And of course, a win over the B1G East champs on 12/1. GO CATS! “OldFartCat”?

Happy Birthday!

Reactions: LACatFan

Happy Birthday!

Reactions: LACatFan
Ok, I think I have a few copies of the original purple book from 2003-2004 left at home. I’ll take some screen shots and post them here

Hey! Today's my B-day too!! Happy birthday, birthday brother! We definitely need a ND win for it.

Reactions: DaCat
Hey! Today's my B-day too!! Happy birthday, birthday brother! We definitely need a ND win for it.
Happy Birthdays! Ok just for your birthday I will permit some modest observations about the new arena and team tonight. The rest will have to wait for your in-person confirmation!

Reactions: TheC
Screen Name: TerraCat

Origin: Just wanted a down to earth name for a Cat fan!

NU Connection: 1982 Graduate.

Persona: After my faith and my family, rooting for the Cats is one of my great passions. Lived in Evanston for a few years after graduation, attended lots of games. Went to the games in the dark years, because I love College Football, and love NU. Followed the team through to 1995 (one of the most fun sports years ever!!!). Didn't think we could ever win consistently. Actually had President Strotz (the author and perfecter of our dark years) over to our off campus housing for dinner when I was an undergraduate.

Love our program, and its values. I always root, and always hope. I am realistic, but hopeful that one of these years we will put it all together and have another 1995 where we win the close ones, and finish undefeated. We can do it!

Favorite Wildcats: Very difficult list, as I am impressed with our student athletes through the years. The vast majority are amazing young men...I'll just list the favorite ones I have met...Matt Hartl, D'Wayne Bates, Pat Fitzgerald, Zak Kustok, Damien Anderson, Zach Streif, Jason Wright, Brett Basanez, CJ Bacher, Treavor Siemien, Justin Jackson, Clayton Thorson, Graham Bullmore.

Favorite Games Attended: Last years Maryland game, the start of the streak, sat with the players families! 2010 Outback Bowl. I only get to one or two games a year. Watch most of the great ones on TV!

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT