ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops scouting report

Catreporter

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2007
Here's my take on the exhibition game won by the Cats 69-49. On defense, allowed a lot of penetration in the first half but really cleaned that up in half number two. Verhoven has some nice defensive instincts, but Chase is our best all around defender.On offense, we are going to live or die by the three. Boo has trouble finishing at the rim drives but is money from the free throw line when he gets there. Audige looked like he did two years ago (completely healthy now?) He can create his own shot when the play breaks down, shot his free throws more confidently as well as his 3s. Boo didn't try to force shots and both he and Chase tried to set up teammates. They will have to score in bunches for us to win in the Big Ten. Ty Berry had an awful shooting night, missing numerous open shots. I've noticed that he has a tendency towards pressing when the first couple shots don't go down. Barnhizer is going to be a nice lift off the bench. Good, confident shooter and a threat from 3. Beran is the Beran we've seen but is a veteran presence and should contribute 8 to 10 points per game and help on the boards.. Verhoven has some offensive moves and is a good defender. He will start in the middle. Nicholson is still raw. Moves better, but he still looks like he is "feeling his way" out there. I doubt Hunger or Martinelli will help much this season, but they give us some big bodies. Maybe they'll mature as the season goes on. We will need Roper going forward, that's for sure,and we can't afford injuries to either Boo or Chase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News