ADVERTISEMENT

How can Lovie have any pride in

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
his head coach role, or any reasonable hope for his career prospects?

U of I is in some serious hurt.

Coming back from 14 at the half...it was a good 2nd half performance to get a win. Don’t see too many more coming their way.

lol

Screen_Shot_2018-09-01_at_8.02.19_PM.png

Kent State is arguably the worst team on their schedule, so yeah...

I mean...I know we’re supposed to hate Illinois, but they’ve could have cashed in at halftime after being down, especially considering how everyone says they’re terrible. Instead, they played really hard and brought an iota of hope to the season. Not much different to our dark ages. If we had a win like that to open the season in the 80s, I wouldn’t be crapping on it, I’d be pumped!

I mean...I know we’re supposed to hate Illinois, but they’ve could have cashed in at halftime after being down, especially considering how everyone says they’re terrible. Instead, they played really hard and brought an iota of hope to the season. Not much different to our dark ages. If we had a win like that to open the season in the 80s, I wouldn’t be crapping on it, I’d be pumped!

If your bar is “some of the worst teams in the history of college football would have been thrilled with that win!,” then you might have a pretty low bar.

If your bar is “some of the worst teams in the history of college football would have been thrilled with that win!,” then you might have a pretty low bar.

If you’re team is that bad...and they are...you don’t take any win for granted. Any long time NU fan should understand that.

Reactions: seavue617
If you’re team is that bad...and they are...you don’t take any win for granted. Any long time NU fan should understand that.
The difference is the NU teams of the 80s had absolutely zero support from the university. No facilities, no nothing. Illinois has everything they need. They spent a lot of money on a NFL coach and they still look horrible with lots of off the field issues also. Our players and coaches in the 80s were handcuffed by a university admin that didn't care. Illinois isn't getting any better. They barely beat a dreadful Kent State team. If I'm a UofI fan I am completely depressed about the future and that game yesterday adds to that depression.

The difference is the NU teams of the 80s had absolutely zero support from the university. No facilities, no nothing. Illinois has everything they need. They spent a lot of money on a NFL coach and they still look horrible with lots of off the field issues also. Our players and coaches in the 80s were handcuffed by a university admin that didn't care. Illinois isn't getting any better. They barely beat a dreadful Kent State team. If I'm a UofI fan I am completely depressed about the future and that game yesterday adds to that depression.

I already know they’re bad. That’s not where my focus is here.

The players are still college students. Have you ever talked to a player from the dark ages? Particularly any that played in the ‘80 and ‘81 seasons? You don’t really wish that on anyone. They battled back from 14 down yesterday and they should feel good about it. Only game I’ll enjoy seeing them get crushed in us when they play NU.

I already know they’re bad. That’s not where my focus is here.

The players are still college students. Have you ever talked to a player from the dark ages? Particularly any that played in the ‘80 and ‘81 seasons? You don’t really wish that on anyone. They battled back from 14 down yesterday and they should feel good about it. Only game I’ll enjoy seeing them get crushed in us when they play NU.
Not only have I talked to many, I am one. I never experienced anything as bad as the early 80's but the early 90s were tough also where we had some NFL talent but we had absolutely no support from the admins. I'm so happy to have Shapiro, Phillips etc right now but it also makes me sad that I and so many other former players were given no chance. I guess my only point with your comments is yes, I feel for their players and they should enjoy every victory they get as college football is hard and not being rewarded with wins after so much work sucks. However, something is very wrong there that they can't even field a decent team as they have money, facilities etc. The thing NU teams up until 20 years ago didn't have.

Actually, don't know if the Illini's effort was all that much better in the second half (they appeared to play quite hard both halves, but were tremendously unskilled) but the coaching sure was. After their OL got completely manhandled the first half, the Illini brought in two TEs to block in the second half. and it worked; brought them back from the dead to win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT