ADVERTISEMENT

How did TS do last night?

i think the short answer would be that he did okay, while Lynch did poorly.

so the view in Denver seems to be he's in the lead for the starting role by being fairly consistent and not making many mistakes, but they are a bit apprehensive about their QB situation more generally.

The Denver fans seem bored by him and last night fed those perceptions. While he was efficient going 6 for 7, he only had 51 yards and the team only produced 3 points with him. That is exactly what bothered Denver fans last year and they just see more of the same. He may win the job by default because Lynch is looking more like a bust everyday, but Trevor needs to win some more games this year or face another competitor for the job next summer.

Last year, Siemien won head-to-head against Luck, Newton, and other big names. A lot of the low production is on the coaches... unleash The Siemien!

Reactions: NUCat320
The Denver fans seem bored by him and last night fed those perceptions. While he was efficient going 6 for 7, he only had 51 yards and the team only produced 3 points with him. That is exactly what bothered Denver fans last year and they just see more of the same. He may win the job by default because Lynch is looking more like a bust everyday, but Trevor needs to win some more games this year or face another competitor for the job next summer.

Agree, would like to see them open the playbook for him more. They did try a play-action fake on the first play, but the RT swung and miss and Trevor got sacked.

Then just like last year on 3rd and 1, they ran up the middle for a 2 yard loss to kill a drive. (On the previous play the TE should have gotten the first down by diving forward).

Trevor threaded the needle a few times, didn't throw any bad passes. He had a nice over the shoulder pass to Sanders that was called for Pass Interference (negated by an offensive penalty). Also had another short out called back.

He did everything they asked for, besides maybe a check down on 3rd down that was short of the chains and resulted in a FG.

I am not sure Paxton will ever be ready. He just can't seem to read NFL defenses fast enough.

Agree, would like to see them open the playbook for him more. They did try a play-action fake on the first play, but the RT swung and miss and Trevor got sacked.

Then just like last year on 3rd and 1, they ran up the middle for a 2 yard loss to kill a drive. (On the previous play the TE should have gotten the first down by diving forward).

Trevor threaded the needle a few times, didn't throw any bad passes. He had a nice over the shoulder pass to Sanders that was called for Pass Interference (negated by an offensive penalty). Also had another short out called back.

He did everything they asked for, besides maybe a check down on 3rd down that was short of the chains and resulted in a FG.

I am not sure Paxton will ever be ready. He just can't seem to read NFL defenses fast enough.
Denver fans blame all woes on the QB, when other problems are bigger. For example, the Broncos averaged just 2.8 ypc in the running game during the possessions with Trevor under center, but the fans blame the QB who went 6-7 passing at 8.5 ypc. I don't get it.

Yep - a very vanilla play-book (would actually like to see more planned roll-outs like what the Bears did w/ Trubisky); TS made the correct reads and threw to where the ball was supposed to go.

Wasn't helped by the Broncos O-line (like on that sack) which is, in part, due to the lack of continuity (the coaches are shuffling players around and Paradis, the starting center, is seeing limited play in pre-season), but the LG (Garcia) just can't play and the new RT is a better run-blocker than a pass-protector.

Probably will see 3 different guys on the starting O-line.

TS got blamed (as usual) for not picking up the 3rd down on 2 drives, but both were on the receiver (Sunshine - who I like, but will have an uphill battle sticking to the roster) - on the 1st (a 3rd and short), didn't run a deep enough on a rub route and then didn't pick up any YAC (but nice play by the DB). On the 2nd (a 3rd and long), ran past the sticks, but then came back across the 1st down marker.

TS had 2 nice medium completions in traffic, but his one deep throw (where he threw it where only his receiver could catch it) resulted in a PI (which was negated by offsetting penalties).

Trevor's 1 incompletion was when he had to throw the ball away due to Garcia behind pushed back.

All in all, an efficient, if not a particularly effective or exciting performance.

Pretty hilarious how so many Broncos fans have fallen off the Lynch-wagon and are clamoring for Sloter (who I like) and Kelly (who hasn't even thrown a pass and will likely end up on IR); a couple of years ago, a certain QB was also lighting up the 4th Q in pre-season games.

TS only had 7 passing attempts - hard to get into a groove, much less learn anything from it (aside from that Trevor is making his reads and the ball is going where it should).

Trubisky had 25 passing attempts which is more than what all 3 Broncos QBs had together.

Agree w/ Stink - Siemian needs to act like he's the starting QB and has command of the team (but not in an obnoxious way; not that I think Trevor is capable of being obnoxious).

Last edited:
That was a great discussion to listen to.

I know it was about QBs but their tangent about the OL was concerning to me.
They basically agreed that lack of continuity in the OL was killing the offense. That they need to pick 5 guys and let the chemistry develop the five into one unit. I think this is where Fitz doesn't get it about OLs. The competitive depth thing short circuits when you push it too far with an OL. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT