ADVERTISEMENT

How much of the $26M Big 10 Payout is spent on Football?

lonestarmvp

Aug 13, 2014
The 2013 Big 10 revenue split was $25.7M per team in 2013.
Not sure what the amount will be this year but how much of this amount is directly spent on football?
Does anyone know?

That is just the shared revenue. I would be curious to know what the total football revenue is. There must be gate receipts, endorsements like Underarmor, things like that.

I think the more meaningful question is how much budget does the football program have, and does and how much does it change based on B1G payout?

Otherwise, the payout is simply inflows of cash, and if you said X amount goes to the football program, it might just be balloon squeezing and pushing cash that the program would be getting from other sources back into other University needs.

In general, the NU athletic program loses money. The BIG payout just means it loses less and we are in a better position to compete. FOr us, I would guess that the BIG payout is a pretty sizable portion of total athletic income. Probably about 75%. For NU, it probably goes into the general fund and is then distributed. My guess is htat about 2/3 of the money spent goes to FB. About $6-7 million on Scholarships. about $4-5 million on coaches, Money on trainers, meals, transportation, facilities. It is big business. Probably about $20-25 million out of an athletic budget of about $35-40 mill.

The attached is from 2012, but shows the NU athletic budget over $50 million

Football clears 12 million after all expenses.

Last edited:
You know it. Boom baby, we are rolling now. Jango is dressing now

Must have been cool to watch the stadium emptying out during the 4th quarter. Every time TV would show the stands there were more empty seats. How quiet was it after the Solo TD?

I saw that he was dressed for the game. You're not hard to spot in the crowd either. It must have been a great time partying with NU fans in the stands.

Reactions: CatsDad
I saw that he was dressed for the game. You're not hard to spot in the crowd either. It must have been a great time partying with NU fans in the stands.
We may not have the most fans, but we have the best fans. It was an amazing game in every way.

Reactions: beetlemania74
Did Jango play? I believe Fitz said he replaced his entire punt and kickoff coverage teams following the struggles against Iowa, so not sure if Jango's one of the new guys on special teams.

They won't burn his redshirt just for special teams. The thing that impressed me is how the coaching staff took a team that was down and made them believe in themselves. It would be easy to lose a team with a start like they had. Credit goes to the coaching staff and the leaders on the team. I LOVE my son is a Wildcat. Northwestern is a family and a special place. We have great family's, fans, and coaches. We have the best President and AD in the B1G also. Be patient NU fans. We are getting the recruits we need to be a force, give these coaches a chance to develop them. The beginning of the season was an aberration, it has been fixed. We have some very hard games coming up Like Fitz tell his players, " Winning a B1G game is not easy." One game at a time. Veering off my one game at a time, I want to beat the Bucks so badly. I will see you all in Evanston for Homecoming. If you see my bald head, please introduce yourself, we are family. . #GoCats

They won't burn his redshirt just for special teams. The thing that impressed me is how the coaching staff took a team that was down and made them believe in themselves. It would be easy to lose a team with a start like they had. Credit goes to the coaching staff and the leaders on the team. I LOVE my son is a Wildcat. Northwestern is a family and a special place. We have great family's, fans, and coaches. We have the best President and AD in the B1G also. Be patient NU fans. We are getting the recruits we need to be a force, give these coaches a chance to develop them. The beginning of the season was an aberration, it has been fixed. We have some very hard games coming up Like Fitz tell his players, " Winning a B1G game is not easy." One game at a time. Veering off my one game at a time, I want to beat the Bucks so badly. I will see you all in Evanston for Homecoming. If you see my bald head, please introduce yourself, we are family. . #GoCats

Seems like going into game 7 only injuries to the LB currently playing would cause Jango to have to play. Wold hate to see him lose half a yer or more, like Colter did.

[ducks to avoid Kain hate]

Sharpen those horns!

Reactions: CatsDad
He won't pay his taxes AFTER NU beats the Bucks, either....;)

That's offensive. I pay my taxes. Do I do so happily? No, not with this government. But, please don't lump me into the 47% that don't pay their taxes.

That's offensive. I pay my taxes. Do I do so happily? No, not with this government. But, please don't lump me into the 47% that don't pay their taxes.
Or the 1% who always pay as little as possible or none at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT