ADVERTISEMENT

How Northwestern's lakefront stadium went from a dream to reality

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021

@lou v and I report on how Northwestern's temporary lakeside football facility came to be from a text from Pat Fitzgerald years ago, a new design proposal breathing new life into the project, the trustees and administrators involved to make it financially feasible to the project's announcement and impact the next two seasons.

@lou v and I report on how Northwestern's temporary lakeside football facility came to be from a text from Pat Fitzgerald years ago, a new design proposal breathing new life into the project, the trustees and administrators involved to make it financially feasible to the project's announcement and impact the next two seasons.
Excellent article. Will we get see renderings of the design at some point?

I like this part

"Meanwhile, Gragg and his athletic department were being heavily criticized as the 2024 season drew closer and closer and they still didn’t know where the Wildcats were going to play their home games. An idea to play an Oct. 19 game against Wisconsin at Lambeau Field in Green Bay was leaked at an alumni gathering in New York City and summarily blasted on social media."

Reactions: Hkjb
First of all - this is an excellent article. Kudos for that. It's rare that we can get such a clear picture of how a decision unfolds. Honestly, in my 20 years of reading NU sports boards and news, I don't think I've read anything as eye opening (and enjoyable) as this piece.

Second, once again our AD is a passenger who just gets swept along. His quote about "I was always open to the idea..." only reinforces how wrong he is for his job. "I was always open" betrays the hem-and-haw approach of a person who is afraid to commit to a view or make a decision - which is exactly why everything is happening so late. Having a toe-dipper in charge has to be painful for people working in the department - organisations need clarity and a sense of direction.

Actual leaders have a vision, have ideas, or support specific ideas suggested by others - even when they are hard. Then they get in front and show they are willing to get their hands dirty when required. Gragg could have raised his hand long, long ago and said - 'let's find a way to make this work for the Lacross team' - providing clarity and leading the department to work the problem. He didn't. In remaining "open to ideas" the department clearly developed a case of option-itis, exploring everything, deciding nothing, then very publicly landing in a hole with the Lambeau debacle.

If he were a leader, he would have owned that mess. Either by arguing for the Lambeau plan or saying "I was wrong - this is on me and I'll fix it". No such luck. I wouldn't be surprised if he found someone to point a finger at behind the scenes.

Fitz, the board of trustees, Braun, Sharman, Hayward, Marks - all of these people expressed a view and a vision to do the lakefront stadium, rather than dipping their toe in the water. Gragg was a bystander throughout - a weak hand on the Ouiji board.

It's shocking to me that he sees his after-the-fact claim to be "open to the idea" as a defense, when it's actually an own goal. I was optimistic when I first heard the news of his appointment. Unfortunately, based on his actions (lack thereof) he is one of the worst leaders I've seen at NU in my long time as a fan.

By way of silver lining - it does seem that the board of trustees is aware that the AD is not the center of gravity. To the extent they had to do the work he should have, I hope they lose patience with his lack of leadership.

Last edited:
How many people will this stadium hold? It appears to be only on the west side of the field, which would be kind of unfortunate, but there may not be room to the east. I can only imagine the ticket prices.

How many people will this stadium hold? It appears to be only on the west side of the field, which would be kind of unfortunate, but there may not be room to the east. I can only imagine the ticket prices.
Seats mostly in end zones. About 15k

First of all - this is an excellent article. Kudos for that. It's rare that we can get such a clear picture of how a decision unfolds. Honestly, in my 20 years of reading NU sports boards and news, I don't think I've read anything as eye opening (and enjoyable) as this piece.

Second, once again our AD is a passenger who just gets swept along. His quote about "I was always open to the idea..." only reinforces how wrong he is for his job. "I was always open" betrays the hem-and-haw approach of a person who is afraid to commit to a view or make a decision - which is exactly why everything is happening so late. Having a toe-dipper in charge has to be painful for people working in the department - organisations need clarity and a sense of direction.

Actual leaders have a vision, have ideas, or support specific ideas suggested by others - even when they are hard. Then they get in front and show they are willing to get their hands dirty when required. Gragg could have raised his hand long, long ago and said - 'let's find a way to make this work for the Lacross team' - providing clarity and leading the department to work the problem. He didn't. In remaining "open to ideas" the department clearly developed a case of option-itis, exploring everything, deciding nothing, then very publicly landing in a hole with the Lambeau debacle.

If he were a leader, he would have owned that mess. Either by arguing for the Lambeau plan or saying "I was wrong - this is on me and I'll fix it". No such luck. I wouldn't be surprised if he found someone to point a finger at behind the scenes.

Fitz, the board of trustees, Braun, Sharman, Hayward, Marks - all of these people expressed a view and a vision to do the lakefront stadium, rather than dipping their toe in the water. Gragg was a bystander throughout - a weak hand on the Ouiji board.

It's shocking to me that he sees his after-the-fact claim to be "open to the idea" as a defense, when it's actually an own goal. I was optimistic when I first heard the news of his appointment. Unfortunately, based on his actions (lack thereof) he is one of the worst leaders I've seen at NU in my long time as a fan.

By way of silver lining - it does seem that the board of trustees is aware that the AD is not the center of gravity. To the extent they had to do the work he should have, I hope they lose patience with his lack of leadership.
Excellent post in all respects.

Reactions: ricko654321

Well put, great perspective.

Couldn't have put it better myself. The article is highly charitable in citing Gragg as a key person supporting this measure, when the actual text and story itself makes it clear that he did almost nothing to push it forward himself, only being passenger that was willing to be pulled along for the ride while others (LTP, Heyward, Braun etc) who had an idea and vision to avoid a complete debacle went out there to make it happen.

He is the epitome of an empty suit. Dodging ownership, responsibility, accountability. No leadership whatsoever. Embarrassing for this university. But on the flip side- huge thanks to LTP and Heyward for making this happen.

Exactly and several people pointed this out on the Rock. Others are doing Gregg’s job for him. I will just add to remove Barris from any hiring process at all and better yet from the BOT.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT