ADVERTISEMENT

Huddle Offense

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
NU has not huddled in years and I used to like it. When it's clicking it wears Defenses out and keeps them on their heals; confused. But it seems to me that our new QB and our WRs just aren't clicking and it makes me wonder if a little meeting of the minds clarifying the next play might tighten things up. On top of that we are killing our D buy going three and out in mere seconds.
Is this something we could try or is it too radical a departure from what has been practiced for so long?

The McCall offense is based on getting to the line of scrimmage, seeing were the number advantage lies, and calling the play that takes advantage where you have the extra person. That takes seeing how the defense lines up so we don't huddle.

The reason why you have the number advantage is that most teams are trying to not give up the deep touchdown and will give up the numbers advantage to play a deep safety. Here's a formation that we've probably used 1000 times.

Buff1.jpg

In this case, you have 2 WRs and 2 DBs on the near side. 1x1 on the other side with a safety high. 5 lineman a QB, RB, and TE or 8 people vs 4 dline, 2 LBs and a SS or 7 people. You have an 8 on 7 advantage so the probably play call will be a zone run. The issue that we're having is that our WRs aren't a danger to go deep and our Oline isn't giving the WRs to get deep anyway. As such, that safety who is playing the deep zone on the top right corner isn't there. He's 8 yards closer to the line of scrimmage ready to help against the run.

Let's say second safety lined up across from the TE is lined up at the other 45. Now it's 3 vs 2 on that side, and I would expect a quick screen to the near side. That's how people are determining the play call and being "predictable" on offense. If you can go deep, the defense keeps 1 to 2 safeties deep and you have numbers on the dink and dunk type of stuff. The offense is predicated on the numbers advantage not on making the defense guess. It's also the reason why redzone offense is so much harder: defenses don't have to worry about the deep ball, so they're playing with 1 more guy.

Last edited:
NU has not huddled in years and I used to like it. When it's clicking it wears Defenses out and keeps them on their heals; confused. But it seems to me that our new QB and our WRs just aren't clicking and it makes me wonder if a little meeting of the minds clarifying the next play might tighten things up. On top of that we are killing our D buy going three and out in mere seconds.
Is this something we could try or is it too radical a departure from what has been practiced for so long?
It might be ok to go to a huddle as maybe the no huddle can not handle more difficult play calling. THe one drawback I see is that we would have to be ready for different substitutions. As it is, we do not get called for substitution or too many in the huddle as they never go into one. Teams that go into huddle get called for it all the time. All we have to do is make sure there are not 12 on the field when the ball is snapped and going into a huddle might take some getting used to. And while the can take more time with no huddle and use the same amount of clock, doing so often screws up the pace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT