ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Shout-out to Our 'Cats

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
Comments yesterday from CatsDad reminded me of the huge commitment that NU athletes make. They work a "full-time plus" job of being a student athlete, so we can enjoy their success on the field, and they work a "full-time plus" job in the study halls so they can build a life for themselves.

How many of us would have the dedication and drive to do that? Thank you.

Comments yesterday from CatsDad reminded me of the huge commitment that NU athletes make. They work a "full-time plus" job of being a student athlete, so we can enjoy their success on the field, and they work a "full-time plus" job in the study halls so they can build a life for themselves.

How many of us would have the dedication and drive to do that? Thank you.
I never realized this till my son was a part of it. I too have a new found respect for every young man who takes this challenge. It is extremely mentally and physically challenging.

My son is looking at colleges (2019) and I am going thru the process with him as his dad, and it really is remarkable the commitment and time demand that is required of a college athlete. And that's just for Division 3 soccer. He's borderline Division 1, and that's even more commitment, getting first hand info having been to camps at Northwestern, Villanova, NE Revolution, etc. Kids like Jango and Jessie Brown whom CatsDad mentioned in another thread deserve nothing but respect for working their tails off in the classroom and on the field. In a sense, the comment by gcg "That's Northwestern" is true but doesn't do justice to what these student-athletes are doing.

My son is looking at colleges (2019) and I am going thru the process with him as his dad, and it really is remarkable the commitment and time demand that is required of a college athlete. And that's just for Division 3 soccer. He's borderline Division 1, and that's even more commitment, getting first hand info having been to camps at Northwestern, Villanova, NE Revolution, etc. Kids like Jango and Jessie Brown whom CatsDad mentioned in another thread deserve nothing but respect for working their tails off in the classroom and on the field. In a sense, the comment by gcg "That's Northwestern" is true but doesn't do justice to what these student-athletes are doing.
I appreciate it. Jessie Brown is on a whole nother level than my son. Jesse is in engineering with a high GPA, I have no idea how he manages to do what he is doing. Gocatsgo2003 is correct in the fact that our athletes don't have easy classes and have it as physically demanding as anywhere. They all work their tails off

I appreciate it. Jessie Brown is on a whole nother level than my son. Jesse is in engineering with a high GPA, I have no idea how he manages to do what he is doing. Gocatsgo2003 is correct in the fact that our athletes don't have easy classes and have it as physically demanding as anywhere. They all work their tails off

Different strengths for different folks. I got BS and MS in Engineering from NU and for me it was relatively easy. By comparison, if I had to take more liberal arts classes, I would have struggled. Reading comprehension is not my strength, but I do well with numbers.

All said, absolute respect to all the student athletes who manage their studies in addition to a rigorous training, practice, and game regimen. I don't believe I would have survived that even if I had an ounce of athletic ability, which I don't. Thanks to all the players willing to go above and beyond to make us NU alumni proud!

Different strengths for different folks. I got BS and MS in Engineering from NU and for me it was relatively easy. By comparison, if I had to take more liberal arts classes, I would have struggled. Reading comprehension is not my strength, but I do well with numbers.

All said, absolute respect to all the student athletes who manage their studies in addition to a rigorous training, practice, and game regimen. I don't believe I would have survived that even if I had an ounce of athletic ability, which I don't. Thanks to all the players willing to go above and beyond to make us NU alumni proud!

I got my BS in ChemE (probably had Fitzphile as a TA) and it was a grind. Time consuming projects and problem sets were par for course. I did intramurals to let off steam, but I didn't have to wake up at 4AM and to work out and practice every day. It's insane, and nothing but respect to the athletes who not only do this but thrive.

Cats ain't come to play school. They come to work and grow.

Reactions: DopeTonic
I got my BS in ChemE (probably had Fitzphile as a TA) and it was a grind. Time consuming projects and problem sets were par for course. I did intramurals to let off steam, but I didn't have to wake up at 4AM and to work out and practice every day. It's insane, and nothing but respect to the athletes who not only do this but thrive.
E A 4! (clap) E A 4! (clap)

A couple of former Cats come o mind as student athletes with heavy loads...Pat Ward and Luis Castillo, and I'm sure there are those who can also name a bunch of people of their ilk.

Multiple great posts above. I can only second what others say from my own personal perspective having had a son who was a student athlete at Northwestern. I was very impressed with the academic support provided to our student athletes. Apart from the athletic skills they learn from being coached by the athletic coaches, they develop valuable time management and study skills from the "coaching" they receive from their academic "coaches"/ advisors.

(As to my son, with his majoring in Chemistry we were also appreciative of the efforts the academic department made to accommodate outside of classroom work such as labs that would often conflict with practice schedules. His Northwestern education qualified him for medical school acceptance and beyond.)

Last edited:
Multiple great posts above. I can only second what others say from my own personal perspective having had a son who was a student athlete at Northwestern. I was very impressed with the academic support provided to our student athletes. Apart from the athletic skills they learn from being coached by the athletic coaches, they develop valuable time management and study skills from the "coaching" they receive from their academic "coaches."

With his majoring in Chemistry we were also appreciative of the efforts the academic department made to accommodate outside of classroom work such as labs that would often conflict with practice schedules. His Northwestern education qualified him for medical school acceptance and beyond.

Our common admiration for the character and commitment of our student athletes is what defines true Wildcat fans. For 40 years I have met fans of every age and from every walk of life. Both alums and the Turks of the world. And everyone I have met talks about how easy it is to pull for NU athletes because of how much we respect their character and the rigors of their student athlete experience.

Just outstanding people from top to bottom throughout the athletic department.

GOUNUII

Our common admiration for the character and commitment of our student athletes is what defines true Wildcat fans. For 40 years I have met fans of every age and from every walk of life. Both alums and the Turks of the world. And everyone I have met talks about how easy it is to pull for NU athletes because of how much we respect their character and the rigors of their student athlete experience.

Just outstanding people from top to bottom throughout the athletic department.

GOUNUII
You just described exactly what makes me, a non-alum, such a big Northwestern fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT