ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter is a baller

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
I was sitting in the front row at Stanford, on the side of the field where NU scored its only TD.

Let me tell you something: Hunter Johnson is a baller and a fighter.

Our WRs are still too slow. Our OL is still inconsistent. Bowser was out. NU was not going to score with Hunter dropping back and waiting around in the pocket.

So he took matters into his own hands. Showed a lot of grit.

Does he need to sharpen up his touch passes and the speed which he goes through progressions? Of course. But that is teachable. What I saw today is not. I remain cautiously optimistic things will get a lot better. Good time for a bye.

I was sitting in the front row at Stanford, on the side of the field where NU scored its only TD.

Our WRs are still too slow. Our OL is still inconsistent. Bowser was out. NU was not going to score with Hunter dropping back and waiting around in the pocket.

Does he need to sharpen up his touch passes and the speed which he goes through progressions? Of course. But that is teachable. What I saw today is not. I remain cautiously optimistic things will get a lot better. Good time for a bye.
I agree, but really worry about our O line.

If Hunter doesn’t learn to tuck and take a sack, or slide, he’s going to end up hurt sooner than later.

The problem offensively is pretty simple.
Over the past 5 years, the players have changed and several position coaches have changed. Both many would say for the positive. Recruiting has definitely improved. If Johnson wasn’t really good, Dabo wouldn’t have said what he said about him. Most knowledgeable football people would say Ayeni and Anderson are an upgrade.
McCall’s playcalling and his offensive scheme are not close to championship level. He gets out schemed by good defensive coordinators all the time. Stanford basically watched the 2018 Duke game film and did exactly what Duke did. Teams that are well disciplined with good athletes will stop the NU offense almost every time. The offense needs to be more productive against good teams to take the NU program to an elite level.
McCall is a good QB position coach though. But it appears to be past time for NU to upgrade.

Reactions: Katatonic and scru

I can agree with this. HJ did not have a great
Game but he showed flashes that give me hope. Oline on the other hand.....

Reactions: cat inkansas
I have faith Hunter will figure it out; the talent is there, he just needs to get comfortable with the offense.

The OL/WR also have to improve though. Going to need much better performance across the board.

I was happy with the defense. This Stanford offense will put up a lot more points against other opponents. Yeah tackling needs to improve, but that's the easiest thing to improve on that side.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
The problem offensively is pretty simple.
Over the past 5 years, the players have changed and several position coaches have changed. Both many would say for the positive. Recruiting has definitely improved. If Johnson wasn’t really good, Dabo wouldn’t have said what he said about him. Most knowledgeable football people would say Ayeni and Anderson are an upgrade.
McCall’s playcalling and his offensive scheme are not close to championship level. He gets out schemed by good defensive coordinators all the time. Stanford basically watched the 2018 Duke game film and did exactly what Duke did. Teams that are well disciplined with good athletes will stop the NU offense almost every time. The offense needs to be more productive against good teams to take the NU program to an elite level.
McCall is a good QB position coach though. But it appears to be past time for NU to upgrade.

Did you not see that Johnson was unable to keep up with the speed of the game? His head was spinning and could not get through his reads. I saw enough to know he will be very good with more time but McCall and his scheme had nothing to do with it with his inability to move the ball. That same scheme and play calling resulted in the ball moving pretty easily on a top defense when TJ Green, a walk on QB who knows the offense, went into the game. If there is a legitimate criticism of McCall today, it's that he waited until the second half to put an emphasis on Johnson's legs. Much like Thorson in his first year of play, the QB will need to be utilized as a running threat just as much if not more than a passing threat this year.

Maybe you failed to see that McCall’s schemes could not slow Stanford’s aggressive frontal 7. For years, NU OL looks lost and unprepared. It was not the “speed of the game” for Johnson. It was the speed of the Stanford frontal 7 on the QB and RB’s. Green got hurt because the “pocket” collapsed almost before it formed. I’ve watched enough NU games to see talented, experienced QB’s running for their lives and sacked time and time again.

Johnson looked great with the speed of the game when he had a offense that gave him a few seconds to throw the ball and plays that got receivers separation. Sure there is a talent gap with Clemson. But the talent gap is far greater with the OC in the press box.

Maybe you failed to see that McCall’s schemes could not slow Stanford’s aggressive frontal 7. For years, NU OL looks lost and unprepared. It was not the “speed of the game” for Johnson. It was the speed of the Stanford frontal 7 on the QB and RB’s. Green got hurt because the “pocket” collapsed almost before it formed. I’ve watched enough NU games to see talented, experienced QB’s running for their lives and sacked time and time again.

Johnson looked great with the speed of the game when he had a offense that gave him a few seconds to throw the ball and plays that got receivers separation. Sure there is a talent gap with Clemson. But the talent gap is far greater with the OC in the press box.

You are kidding right? Maybe you are confused. That was Stanford out there today, not Samford. Go take a look at the "great highlights" from Johnson's play at Clemson. Three step drop, pass to his first read who was usually on the line of scrimmage and then watch his WR or RB run downfield unmolested. We don't have Clemson's OL or skill positions players and we were not playing the Little Sisters of the Poor today. There is nothing that you can see from those highlights that can be applied to anything Hunter does this year.

You are kidding, right? That was Stanford out there, not Alabama. Not Ohio State, not Michigan, not Notre Dame, not Clemson, not Georgia. NU’s offense is barely existent regardless of NU personnel against talented power 5 teams.
I’m not saying McCall is a terrible OC. With a lot of work with his players, he can give NU a serviceable offense which needs a great defense to win games.
But if NU wants to be an elite program, it needs to have an OC who can develop an offensive scheme that can move the ball and score consistently against good defenses with an elite talent QB.
The NU offense today was completely out coached by the Stanford coaching staff.

You are kidding, right? That was Stanford out there, not Alabama. Not Ohio State, not Michigan, not Notre Dame, not Clemson, not Georgia. NU’s offense is barely existent regardless of NU personnel against talented power 5 teams.
I’m not saying McCall is a terrible OC. With a lot of work with his players, he can give NU a serviceable offense which needs a great defense to win games.
But if NU wants to be an elite program, it needs to have an OC who can develop an offensive scheme that can move the ball and score consistently against good defenses with an elite talent QB.
The NU offense today was completely out coached by the Stanford coaching staff.
So far I haven’t seen much funny from you, Funny.

Reactions: Gladeskat
It doesn’t matter what fans goals are for the program. NU football has been a consistent top 30 program with the staff and players. If the NU leadership’s goal is to be a top 30 program, very little, if anything, needs to be changed. This coaching staff and players can do that.
The thing is that the NU football leadership state that they want to be an elite program. An elite program is a consistent top 10-15 program. NU has invested in elite facilities and an elite head coach. NU has an elite DC. That is easily seen when the defense misses tackles but still almost shuts down a strong Stanford offense. Over the years, the DC has just gotten his defense better as recruiting has improved.
The offense does not have an elite OC. It shows only minimal, if any improvement, when talented players mature. For years, the “number 2’s” are often not ready to play. This is not seen on the NU defense. It had been seen on the NU defense prior to the current DC.
So, if NU wants to be elite, its coordinators need to be elite.

You can’t hang out with turkeys if you wants to fly with eagles.

Agreed. Hire these guys.

67fc0-1519934516-800.jpg

It doesn’t matter what fans goals are for the program. NU football has been a consistent top 30 program with the staff and players. If the NU leadership’s goal is to be a top 30 program, very little, if anything, needs to be changed. This coaching staff and players can do that.
The thing is that the NU football leadership state that they want to be an elite program. An elite program is a consistent top 10-15 program. NU has invested in elite facilities and an elite head coach. NU has an elite DC. That is easily seen when the defense misses tackles but still almost shuts down a strong Stanford offense. Over the years, the DC has just gotten his defense better as recruiting has improved.
The offense does not have an elite OC. It shows only minimal, if any improvement, when talented players mature. For years, the “number 2’s” are often not ready to play. This is not seen on the NU defense. It had been seen on the NU defense prior to the current DC.

So true. Welcome Funny. Your words are far more on the mark than those who would continue to apologize for the program and the mediocre at best OC we have that is helping to hold this program down.

Don’t you know the reason our offense has been so bad is because all of our best players get transferred to the defense..

That, unfortunately, has been McCall's MO.

Only real time when the O has been dynamic was w/ Persa making things happen on his own by extending plays, and the small time McCall let Siemian move out of the pocket.

Hunter will be a good one once he's able to extend (preferably) passing plays w/ his legs, but he first needs to get more comfortable w/ the O.

Wouldn't be even too sure of that.

Reactions: drewjin

Agreed

That, unfortunately, has been McCall's MO.

Only real time when the O has been dynamic was w/ Persa making things happen on his own by extending plays, and the small time McCall let Siemian move out of the pocket.

Hunter will be a good one once he's able to extend (preferably) passing plays w/ his legs, but he first needs to get more comfortable w/ the O.

Wouldn't be even too sure of that.

McCall both moved the pocket a ton and called a lot of QB runs against Stanford. Hunter is clearly a better athlete than we’ve seen at QB for a while, most noticeably on a play rolling left where he flipped his hips and threw an absolute rope to Skowronek. That was one of a handful of plays that made me say “oh, ok, that’s the talent right there.” Unfortunately, those snaps were too few and far between.

Lots of peolle taking the bait here, imo. Percent chance that Funny is a an actual new poster who coincidentally just started on the board after yesterday's loss? Zero.

McCall both moved the pocket a ton and called a lot of QB runs against Stanford. Hunter is clearly a better athlete than we’ve seen at QB for a while, most noticeably on a play rolling left where he flipped his hips and threw an absolute rope to Skowronek. That was one of a handful of plays that made me say “oh, ok, that’s the talent right there.” Unfortunately, those snaps were too few and far between.
I think this explains the last play where HJ rolled left and it blew up. I was trying to figure out why a right handed QB was rolling left with the game on the line. What you are telling me was he pulled it off before so I suppose they were hoping to catch Stanford defending a roll out to the right but the gamble failed.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Yep, that was a pretty throw. One that I even wonder if Thorson could have made.

Need some receivers not named Ben Skowronek to step up. Was nice to see a bit of rapport between Hunter and Ben, though.

I think this explains the last play where HJ rolled left and it blew up. I was trying to figure out why a right handed QB was rolling left with the game on the line. What you are telling me was he pulled it off before so I suppose they were hoping to catch Stanford defending a roll out to the right but the gamble failed.

I think it was a gamble because we were down to four OL seeing their first extended game action.

If our receivers can't get separation will they consider playing the two heralded freshman?

If our receivers can't get separation will they consider playing the two heralded freshman?

Not for that reason. Hooper has no idea how to run any route other than a straight fly route or fade route. Kirtz is more ready but probably redundant to some of the other guys we have.

Not for that reason. Hooper has no idea how to run any route other than a straight fly route or fade route. Kirtz is more ready but probably redundant to some of the other guys we have.
Watch for Malik Washington, its possible.

Watch for Malik Washington, its possible.

They could very well play but it won’t be because they can get separation better than our returning WRs. Given what I saw of Johnson, I anticipate McCall building a HJ friendly package of plays around a lot of quick read plays like WR screens, slants and short crossing routes. Players like Kirtz and Washington are ideally suited to run those kind of routes.

Last edited:
Lots of peolle taking the bait here, imo. Percent chance that Funny is a an actual new poster who coincidentally just started on the board after yesterday's loss? Zero.

App State beating Michigan? Georgia State beating the Vols? USA hockey beating the Soviets? Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson? Zero.

Dude, people like you are the reason why I never posted before. Your comment is wrong and adds nothing.

I’m sorry that I’m not part of the rivals NU football board posters.

I do not wish to be part of any club that would have me as a member.

Dude, people like you are the reason why I never posted before. Your comment is wrong and adds nothing.

I’m sorry that I’m not part of the rivals NU football board posters.

I do not wish to be part of any club that would have me as a member.
When you start posting for the very first time right after a loss just to troll, don't expect to be welcomed woth open arms...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT