ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson listed as 4th string quarterback today even behind Whitaker

I think someone needs to let Fitz know that you can't lie or obfuscate (hopefully, Pat Ryan) without repercussion since there is no tactical advantage to do so when your team sucks. His ego has grown where he's a caricature of a normal person or coach. I like Fitz and the great success he's had but his recent dalliance with fake news is clouding my impression of him as person and coach.

Fitz being less than forthcoming in press conferences/with the press is nothing new.

I think someone needs to let Fitz know that you can't lie or obfuscate (hopefully, Pat Ryan) without repercussion since there is no tactical advantage to do so when your team sucks. His ego has grown where he's a caricature of a normal person or coach. I like Fitz and the great success he's had but his recent dalliance with fake news is clouding my impression of him as person and coach.
This is a familiar problem these days.

How is the player's mother?

Didn't she have a health issue that was a contributing factor to the young QBs play in 2019?

He should be in the mix for 2020.

Fwiw

Saying nothing leads to questions, yes, here, but also every day when he sits in class and his classmates stare at him.

Where is this magical NU where football players' classmates know who they are, care, and stare at them because of questions posed mostly by some people on message boards and a very small fraction of the local sports media?

Guys, we're NU, not the Chicago Bears. I think *a lot* of the discussion in this thread assumes that there is some larger universe of people outside of the confines of this small community who are interested. There isn't. Hunter Johnson's status is not the talk of the campus, or local news, or sports radio, or, really, anywhere but a few NU fan sites and the pressers which reporters are paid to cover.

I don’t see it much differently. It was addressed once publicly and if there is no update since then it’s because nothing has changed, because it’s inappropriate to discuss it further or because the kid doesn’t want it discussed further. The difference is that I give Fitz and the kid the benefit of the doubt. You and others don’t seem to have that trust and want a further explanation. You are not entitled to that.
OK, if he's injured and unable to play then why is he suited up and listed on the depth chart?

Guys, we're NU, not the Chicago Bears. I think *a lot* of the discussion in this thread assumes that there is some larger universe of people outside of the confines of this small community who are interested. There isn't. Hunter Johnson's status is not the talk of the campus, or local news, or sports radio, or, really, anywhere but a few NU fan sites and the pressers which reporters are paid to cover.
Every single person who watches the Minnesota game next week is going to hear about Hunter Johnson, who is the five-star quarterback who was demoted to 4th string and couldn’t even see the field against the worst team in the country. The bust talk subsided when his family situation was made public, but resumed when he played fine against Indiana and was strapped to the bench against Purdue. It’s literally one sentence.

It seems to me like Fitz isn’t taking care of his player here.

Every single person who watches the Minnesota game next week is going to hear about Hunter Johnson, who is the five-star quarterback who was demoted to 4th string and couldn’t even see the field against the worst team in the country. The bust talk subsided when his family situation was made public, but resumed when he played fine against Indiana and was strapped to the bench against Purdue. It’s literally one sentence.

I suspect Johnson's name will be out of the two-deep this week if the injury situation is legitimate.

EDIT: I swear I hadn't seen this when I made the post above:

Steve Schnurr was Silver Trophy Winner in 1996 I believe. 1st team All B1G in any case.

Schnur was 1st team all-B1G but not POY by coaches or media or a Silver Football winner.

Basanez was 1st team all-B1G and offensive POY by the media but not a Silver Football winner. He was also SI's National POY in 2005.

NU hasn't had a Silver Football winner since Gissendaner

Where is this magical NU where football players' classmates know who they are, care, and stare at them because of questions posed mostly by some people on message boards and a very small fraction of the local sports media?

I guess no one outside of this board cares about NU football. Why should any of us expect any info when there are so few of us? Lol.

5th string, you mean. 6th if you count TJ

He's being held out. It's obvious. Leave him alone please

Reactions: Fitz51
I guess no one outside of this board cares about NU football. Why should any of us expect any info when there are so few of us? Lol.

Ah, the retort of going to the extreme end of the argument. Usually the sign of a poor position.

But also, yes, kinda. More popular teams attract more interest and more coverage. And seriously, what will you do if you never, ever get the info or find out more things on a regular basis? Abandon your fandom?

Ah, the retort of going to the extreme end of the argument. Usually the sign of a poor position.

But also, yes, kinda. More popular teams attract more interest and more coverage. And seriously, what will you do if you never, ever get the info or find out more things on a regular basis? Abandon your fandom?
If Fitz is trying to “protect” HJ, he is doing a terrible job. Just say he is out for the rerun of the year due to personal issues. That ends all the speculation.
My guess is that he is willing and able to play but Fitz won’t play him. The reasoning behind that decision is what’s baffling.

If he is not going to play the rest of the way, what’s the benefit to the player of not saying it? Similarly, if he’s not going to play the rest of the way, what’s the harm to saying it?

If he is not going to play the rest of the way, what’s the benefit to the player of not saying it? Similarly, if he’s not going to play the rest of the way, what’s the harm to saying it?

I am sure they feel there is an answer to this, and I’m fine with their conclusion. They know facts. We know nothing.

That’s not how it works unless he grad transfers, in which case it wouldn’t make eye if he plays next year.
That would mean he would have to graduate in 3. Not likely with a transfer already. But he would not have to sit out next year if he stayed here and then transferred as a grad. And hard to justify special exemptions as we are already within a100-200 mile radius of his home. Of , I suppose he could point to this board and all the people that have called him a bust and claim mental hardship

Corbi,
Obviously, it didn't work out here. Not saying he gave up on the program but Fitz placed him as 4th string. Has Fitz put anyone else out there, publicly, 4th on the depth chart? I'd say the Hunter Johnson days on the field are numbered. I wish him the best at some stud school.

We will get to watch Smith develop over the next 2 years. Today, Smith was awful. Against the worst defense in the nation. Something is wrong.
He is trying to take the spotlight off of him and let him take care of his business. HJ has had a lot on his plate the last year. Let's not speculate and just let things play out.

Fitz needs to open his mouth and address it for the kids sake. If he is silent, then I can see the speculation having some merit. It’s great that he cares for the kids well being, but sitting him without any explanation at all is not doing the kid the full favor.
At this point, it is not Fitz's story to tell

Again you miss the point. It is not that Fitz should play him when he isn’t mentally prepared to play. He is protecting him, great, exactly what he should be doing. However, he comes out and says he is now “banged up” during last week. Well Fitz, how about you give a little something in your response that continues to protect your asset? Like “Hunter is coming along from the tough situation, he’s working hard, got hit in practice, we thought it was best to hold him out”. No family situation disclosed, but clearly a specific statement of support. The family might appreciate this as well. This is like a soap opera. The family situation comes out and every one understands why he wasn’t playing then he is declared healthy. Then the kid remains on the depth chart, doesn’t get in the game and it takes someone asking a question to get info that he is nicked up. News flash, Hunter is the highest rated recruit in the history of NU at the most important position. A position that we have been God awful at all year. Exactly, what privacy is being invaded that hasn’t already been made public.

I believe fans should be entitled to information that doesn’t violate any privacy laws OR be specifically asked by the player and his family to not share. Some people disagree and that’s fine, but the fans have a choice too, so don’t bellyache about attendance etc while some of us decide to stay home and watch on the idiot box instead of dragging our dollars out to the program. This is a big boy business now.
To who? A bunch of 100 internet geeks on this board? For all the rest, a few may wonder but for the most part it is out of sight, out of mind. As far as saying he is dinged up, that protects him from all but the nut jobs on this board. Let him have his privacy and deal with it in his own way in his own time. It will be resolved in soon enough and we have no right to know till HJ/Fitz feel we do.

Half our basketball team transferred out with 1 year. Im not sure what program he is in but if he has a solid graduate school in mind that suits his program then it makes sense. But his playing days here appear over. It would take him 2 more years to figure out McCalls offense.
Give it a rest. We do not know, nor are we entitled to know what is going on behind the scenes

Reactions: drewjin
To who? A bunch of 100 internet geeks on this board? For all the rest, a few may wonder but for the most part it is out of sight, out of mind. As far as saying he is dinged up, that protects him from all but the nut jobs on this board. Let him have his privacy and deal with it in his own way in his own time. It will be resolved in soon enough and we have no right to know till HJ/Fitz feel we do.
I applaud Fitz for shutting him down. However, I disagree that the communication plan. None of us “100 internet geeks” know for sure that HJ and his family are on board with what is being said or maybe more importantly what is not being said. I personally think Fitz’s actions are appropriate, but I sure think he could protect HJ further with his words, a few simple statements. None of this has to do with violating privacy or disclosing ANY new confidential information. I am sick of hearing we have no right to know when basically no one is asking for more information about his Mothers status or even specifics about HJ.

Simple concise statement, “HJ is going through a difficult time and we feel it is in his best interest to shut him down for the remainder of the year”. Instead we get, HJ is banged up after the UMass game when questioned. Hmmm. Then at his presser this week he rips the QB’s for being unprepared. Many of those 100 internet geeks take the opportunity to express their opinion on HJ being a bust or looking like crap when he played. Of course, can’t really blame them when the talking heads and media have been on this train since game 2. All of this in NOT necessary.

The other thing that gets me, is the inevitable comeback of “no one cares but this board”. Wtf am I a fan for then. Last time I checked, the dollars that come in that support paying mega Coaches contracts and building palaces to practice and play in come from money of fans. Period! No fans no anything.

C’mon Fitz you ran the first 25 miles of the marathon, now finish the last 1.2 strong.

Reactions: NUCat320
I applaud Fitz for shutting him down. However, I disagree that the communication plan. None of us “100 internet geeks” know for sure that HJ and his family are on board with what is being said or maybe more importantly what is not being said. I personally think Fitz’s actions are appropriate, but I sure think he could protect HJ further with his words, a few simple statements. None of this has to do with violating privacy or disclosing ANY new confidential information. I am sick of hearing we have no right to know when basically no one is asking for more information about his Mothers status or even specifics about HJ.

Simple concise statement, “HJ is going through a difficult time and we feel it is in his best interest to shut him down for the remainder of the year”. Instead we get, HJ is banged up after the UMass game when questioned. Hmmm. Then at his presser this week he rips the QB’s for being unprepared. Many of those 100 internet geeks take the opportunity to express their opinion on HJ being a bust or looking like crap when he played. Of course, can’t really blame them when the talking heads and media have been on this train since game 2. All of this in NOT necessary.

The other thing that gets me, is the inevitable comeback of “no one cares but this board”. Wtf am I a fan for then. Last time I checked, the dollars that come in that support paying mega Coaches contracts and building palaces to practice and play in come from money of fans. Period! No fans no anything.

C’mon Fitz you ran the first 25 miles of the marathon, now finish the last 1.2 strong.

The dollars come in from Pat Ryan and the BTN, mostly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT