Oct 8, 2012
Which is my normal state. With the cancellation, can someone explain to me if:

1) We are now Big 10 West Champs -or
2) It would take a statistical miracle for NU to not be Big 10 West Champs - or
3) It is still up for grabs & why - or
4) For some reason we are doomed

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: stpaulcat
1. We met the 6 game req so even if Illinois was canceled too we’d still be eligible.
2. We finish at worst 5-2. Iowa finishes at best 6-2. The winner is supposed to be based on winning % which Iowa wins, BUT if 2 teams have the same # of losses and a different # of wins based on cancellations, then the head to head winner gets the title, so we win that tiebreaker.
3. Even if Wisconsin scheduled another game this week they would not make it to 6 games, and doing so would lower their chance that the average # of games played would drop to make them eligible.
4. I haven’t done the math but I think the vast majority of the remaining games would have to be canceled in order for the average to drop below 5.5.

Reactions: Titanium999
I think the 6 game minimum is only if the average amount of games played per team is 6+ (rounded up or down). So my understanding is the only way we are not Big Ten West Champs is if we lose to Illinois AND Wisconsin only plays one of their next two (and wins) AND no other Big Ten game is played.

That'd 5 be games played per team (76 / 114 = 5.42 which rounds down to 5). If the average is less than 6 then the requirement becomes two games less than the average (so 3 in this scenario). Wisconsin would've played 4 games so would meet the minimum. They'd also have a better winning % and less conference losses so I think they'd get in. If one more additional game is played then the average goes up to 6 (5.57 rounded) so Wisconsin would not be eligible and we'd win the West.

This is my understanding at least but still trying to confirm.

So, my interpretation:
- If at least 3 more regular season games are played across the B1G, we are West champs regardless of what happens for us the rest of the way. These 3 games are what would eliminate Wis.

- If only 0, 1, or 2 conference games are played, but we play and beat UofI, we are West champs. We would tie Wis in the loss column and own the tiebreaker.

- if only 0, 1, or 2 conference games are played, but we play and lose to UofI, and Wis plays the only other conference game and wins, we are not the West Champs.

So, my interpretation:
- If at least 3 more regular season games are played across the B1G, we are West champs regardless of what happens for us the rest of the way. These 3 games are what would eliminate Wis.

- If only 0, 1, or 2 conference games are played, but we play and beat UofI, we are West champs. We would tie Wis in the loss column and own the tiebreaker.

- if only 0, 1, or 2 conference games are played, but we play and lose to UofI, and Wis plays the only other conference game and wins, we are not the West Champs.

Seems right to me... basically "NU has a very clear path to Indy as West champion even after the Minnesota cancellation."

So my understanding is the only way we are not Big Ten West Champs is if we lose to Illinois AND Wisconsin only plays one of their next two (and wins) AND no other Big Ten game is played.

This is correct. In other words, the moment any of the three 11 AM B1G games kicks off this Saturday, we clinch the division.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'm still not seeing how Wisconsin could pass us. They have only played 3 games. They need to play and win two more games to get to five games (Indiana and Iowa), and then they still need us to lose to Illinois.

So Wisconsin needs three games to be played, but if three games are played, then they are ineligible for only having five games. What am I missing?

Reactions: NUThump
I'm still not seeing how Wisconsin could pass us. They have only played 3 games. They need to play and win two more games to get to five games (Indiana and Iowa), and then they still need us to lose to Illinois.

So Wisconsin needs three games to be played, but if three games are played, then they are ineligible for only having five games. What am I missing?

I'm my own grandpa.

If Wisconsin only plays 1 more game and we lose to Illinois the average number of games played across the Big Ten would be 5 and the requirement is that a team play two less than the average (so 3) if the average is below 6. So in this case Wisconsin will be 3-1 (4 games played so eligible) and we would be 5-2.

EDIT: The only way Wisconsin could pass us is if those are the only two games played. If 3+ games across the Big Ten are played then the average remains above 6 and the eligibility requirement would remain at 6. The eligibility requirement only drops below 6 (to average minus 2) if the average # of games drops below 6.

This is correct. In other words, the moment any of the three 11 AM B1G games kicks off this Saturday, we clinch the division.
The other posters are saying 3 games have to be played. Confusing!
Correction. I think I see what they mean by the one game - it’s one game OTHER than Wisky or NU playing.
So if we played no more games, Wisky won 2 more games and all other games were cancelled, they’re in.
If they win 2 more games and we play Illinois, then even if we lose we still win out.
If they win 2 more and ANYBODY plays another game then they don’t qualify and we win.

Last edited:
So if we played no more games, Wisky won 2 more games and all other games were cancelled, they’re in.

In this situation, we would be 5-1 and Wisconsin would be 4-1. While Wisconsin would be eligible, we would win the division on the head-to-head tiebreaker.

If they win 2 more games and we play Illinois, then even if we lose we still win out.

In this situation, Wisconsin would be ineligible for the championship game, so we win the division outright no matter what happens against the Illini.

If they win 2 more and ANYBODY plays another game then they don’t qualify and we win.

Correct. So the only scenario in which Wisconsin wins the division is if Wisconsin plays and wins only 1 more game, NU loses to Illinois, and every single other game is cancelled. Therefore, the moment any other game kicks off, we win the division.

How about the Northwestern Athletic Department putting together a Zoom Watch Party Saturday so we as fans can join in with the players as we wait for the confirmation that the Wildcats officially become the West Champions?

Would be reminiscent of the iconic watch event during the Rose Bowl year as the players awaited the outcome of the Michigan v. Ohio State game.

Reactions: GECat2
If Wisconsin only plays 1 more game and we lose to Illinois the average number of games played across the Big Ten would be 5 and the requirement is that a team play two less than the average (so 3) if the average is below 6. So in this case Wisconsin will be 3-1 (4 games played so eligible) and we would be 5-2.

EDIT: The only way Wisconsin could pass us is if those are the only two games played. If 3+ games across the Big Ten are played then the average remains above 6 and the eligibility requirement would remain at 6. The eligibility requirement only drops below 6 (to average minus 2) if the average # of games drops below 6.

I see - I didn't realize the eligibility requirement drops to average minus 2; I assumed it would go from six to five at first. That would be nuts if Wisconsin won the division having played only four games. But maybe it's nuts that we're trying to do any of this right now.

How about the Northwestern Athletic Department putting together a Zoom Watch Party Saturday so we as fans can join in with the players as we wait for the confirmation that the Wildcats officially become the West Champions?

Would be reminiscent of the iconic watch event during the Rose Bowl year as the players awaited the outcome of the Michigan v. Ohio State game.
How about if we just beat Illinois?

How about if we just beat Illinois?

By that time the ice cream will have melted from Saturday’s party hopefully commemorating our already having won the Big Ten West.

Still, agree that keeping The Hat is worthy of a celebration of its own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT