ADVERTISEMENT

I fear the transfer portal.

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
If we don't course-correct on defense, I fear a mass exodus of players after this season.

They didn't think they were signing on for this.

Last edited:
Maybe we should use the portal to upgrade.
Its going to be pretty hard, if not impossible, for Fitz to upgrade on D if his buddy-hire Mr O'neil is allowed to burn the last 25 years to the ground.
Nobody wants to go into a burning house.

Fitz has to get rid of JON. But Fitz is stubborn and deluded so he is simply unaware all of his work is going up in smoke.

Yeah I think he means that some of the few players with value might leave like Tomi, Kirtz, Hilinski et al
It might not be the end of the world if some others do. Players want to play. It happens even after winning the Division. It will be no different this year. We will lose a few good players, like we always do.

Its going to be pretty hard, if not impossible, for Fitz to upgrade on D if his buddy-hire Mr O'neil is allowed to burn the last 25 years to the ground.
Nobody wants to go into a burning house.

Fitz has to get rid of JON. But Fitz is stubborn and deluded so he is simply unaware all of his work is going up in smoke.
Can we stop with this buddy hire mantra? Did anyone expect him to hire a person he didn’t know? That’s not the problem. The issue is we have no clue what we are doing on D under his tutelage. So his a GA back in the Stone Age, who cares.

Can we stop with this buddy hire mantra? Did anyone expect him to hire a person he didn’t know? That’s not the problem. The issue is we have no clue what we are doing on D under his tutelage. So his a GA back in the Stone Age, who cares.
If you dont think it is a problem then maybe your eyes will pop open after he keeps oneil. Never hire buddies or family because the hard part isnt hiring them but firing them.

I suspect Fitz will be struggling with inevitably firing his buddy after a couple years if Fitz is still around.

It might not be the end of the world if some others do. Players want to play. It happens even after winning the Division. It will be no different this year. We will lose a few good players, like we always do.

Good players want to play for good teams.

Yes, I would expect him to consider all legit candidates. If Buddy Ryan appeared from a time portal out of 1985, I would expect fitz to interview him.

I understand the idea of known quantities, but that really narrows the universe of potential hires.

The problem is he hired a guy who had an extremely poor track record for the job that he was hired: NFL teams ranked 30-32 for defense and then demoted down from DC in the NFL.

Fitz was hoping it'd be different here (as were we all), but everyone has got to see what a complete disaster this is already turning into...

Don’t see it. The only player who might be able to transfer is BJo. No P5 team is going to waste a scholarship on anyone else on this team coming off this season.

The problem is he hired a guy who had an extremely poor track record for the job that he was hired: NFL teams ranked 30-32 for defense and then demoted down from DC in the NFL.

Fitz was hoping it'd be different here (as were we all), but everyone has got to see what a complete disaster this is already turning into...
If very few wanted to get interviewed or be subject to Fitz then he could have hired Timmy Tackler.
The fact that he hired a known awful coach is highly suggestive that he had no other real candidates.

If very few wanted to get interviewed or be subject to Fitz then he could have hired Timmy Tackler.
The fact that he hired a known awful coach is highly suggestive that he had no other real candidates.
I don't think that was the problem. Look at Bajakian. We managed to pull him away from BC after one year there.

We can easily pull a Power 5 DC away from some programs or any G5 program.

We can pay much more than some ACC/Pac-12/Big 12 programs and way more than any G5 program.

Last edited:
If we don't course-correct on defense, I fear a mass exodus of players after this season.

They didn't think they were signing on for this.
It is really your best hope, see Michigan state 2021. I can’t think of a p5 team that needs players more than nw right now.. it’s a bottom 10 roster.

It is really your best hope, see Michigan state 2021. I can’t think of a p5 team that needs players more than nw right now.. it’s a bottom 10 roster.

Our Offensive line is not very good. I like our tailbacks. Hilinski has shown ability. Marty (injured) is better than most D1 starters. Cam Porter (injured) would start for at least 75% of the Power 5 teams.
Stephon Robinson is a very good receiver who would start for nearly every Big Ten team.

The defense is a disaster so far.

Our offensive play-calling is as predictable as ever and we have failed to take advantage of Robinson by throwing downfield. If the QB sees Robinson against man coverage, he should throw him the ball. Every time.

The defense is in total disarray, yet we never blitz, which is the easiest way to make up for defensive limitations. Pressuring the QB is the #1 way a defense can be effective.

Collectively, the coaches are having a pretty bad year.

How dare you @FeralFelidae ! Your post may cause players to transfer!
The transfer portal might be the best thing going for NU as far as getting ready to go talent. Just not the 4 stars Turk is promoting. Ramsey, Raine, Robinson, Clair, Hilinski, pooler, Meiser, Adams, et al.

we’ll lose some and we’ll gain some. Welcome to college football in the 2020’s. Our HS classes of 15 aren’t cutting it when we have 5 that can’t break the 2 deep and 3 that get hurt and medically retire in every class.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT