ADVERTISEMENT

I feel like we've seen this movie before

I still feel like I've seen this movie before. I guess if we can avoid an extended 6 or 7 game losing streak now, maybe things will be different. But this is exactly what always happens to this team. Win a few surprise games at the beginning of the conference season, then fail to close out tough games and go on an extended losing streak that saps all the life out of the fan base.

Man, I hope this year is different!
You are the Master of Doom.

I still feel like I've seen this movie before. I guess if we can avoid an extended 6 or 7 game losing streak now, maybe things will be different. But this is exactly what always happens to this team. Win a few surprise games at the beginning of the conference season, then fail to close out tough games and go on an extended losing streak that saps all the life out of the fan base.

Man, I hope this year is different!
Who can blame you, C? My beaten NU soul is with you.

OTOH, this group has shown a nice resilience so far. They didn't play anywhere near as well as they could have last night. They left a whole bunch of points on the floor last night, and still had a chance to beat a team who shot 61% from 3.

We've already seen them play lots better.

The first half they couldn't hit a snow storm with a broom. Gave RU great confidence. Maddening. Reminded me of duh-OSU - just not ready to compete. Not much you can do to teach your team to make its shots. But having seen this $#@& twice, something is wrong somewhere and here's hoping CCC finds a way to fix it. Makes you wonder if you're missing the best of "Beavis and Butthead".

But how about the toughness? Even on a night when they are clearly off their game, they actually led at the end of the game and had a chance to win. NU needs more work on closing out tough opponents. As another noted, NU would have lost this game by 15 last season.

As another noted, NU withers in the spotlight. I'd thought this team might be different, but not yesterday.

RU is plenty good. NU CAN be as good, but NU can't start games against top opponents shooting the way they did.

OK, where are those f'g Jurassic skunks?

As another noted, NU withers in the spotlight. I'd thought this team might be different, but not yesterday.
I don't think they "withered" in the spotlight last night at all. They didn't get blown out. They stayed close to a good team even as they trailed nearly the entire game. They just couldn't pull it out. Happens every night in the Big Ten.

The game had a spread of only 14 points (Rutgers' largest lead was 27-17, NU's was 62-58). That sounds like a really close game that just didn't go NU's way. It happens.

I don't think they "withered" in the spotlight last night at all. They didn't get blown out. They stayed close to a good team even as they trailed nearly the entire game. They just couldn't pull it out. Happens every night in the Big Ten.

The game had a spread of only 14 points (Rutgers' largest lead was 27-17, NU's was 62-58). That sounds like a really close game that just didn't go NU's way. It happens.
The players did not wither.

Reactions: drewjin

But at the end, with a 4 point lead, at home, a minute left, foul, empty possession, leave RU best shooter open, lose control of last chance. That is withering. They didn't against IU though. The team feels different. More resilient. We'll see

But at the end, with a 4 point lead, at home, a minute left, foul, empty possession, leave RU best shooter open, lose control of last chance. That is withering. They didn't against IU though. The team feels different. More resilient. We'll see
the Buie foul on Paulie Flopper was bad. Stopped the clock and gave Rutgers an easy way to get 2 points. Really dumb.

As the one who started this troubling thread, I think I am at a point where I feel comfortable saying that this season's script is playing out a little differently than usual. It is late January, which means we should be mid-way through a double digit losing streak and not over .500 in conference play. I'm not ready to think about NCAAs like some of you, but clearly this year is different.

As the one who started this troubling thread, I think I am at a point where I feel comfortable saying that this season's script is playing out a little differently than usual. It is late January, which means we should be mid-way through a double digit losing streak and not over .500 in conference play. I'm not ready to think about NCAAs like some of you, but clearly this year is different.
I hope you are right, tC. I cannot yet get "comfortable". To be clear, my bar us pretty low, I'd be happy with an NIT bid after the last several years of wandering in the desert. The schedule isn't scary, but neither are we. Not a gimme on the list. But -enjoying the ride

This still feels like crunch time to me. We've got a brutal schedule playing catch up, and only six home games left - including one against Purdue. the next two games are the easiest (on paper) game left in our schedule, and I think we absolutely need to win them both. By the time Michigan comes to town in February, the kids are going to be exhausted.

• Sad
This still feels like crunch time to me. We've got a brutal schedule playing catch up, and only six home games left - including one against Purdue. the next two games are the easiest (on paper) game left in our schedule, and I think we absolutely need to win them both. By the time Michigan comes to town in February, the kids are going to be exhausted.
Winning some combo of three of the next four “should” be doable. But every game is tough & this group will be exhausted. Going 2-2 over that stretch would have us at 6-5 in the conference. Would need to then win 4 of final 9 to have a real shot at the t***ney

Ok, time to put this thread to bed. This year is officially "different". Don't know if that means "NCAA different", but it's certainly a "good different".

Now go ****ing beat Iowa!!!!!!!!

I'm in full C mode, and trying to find four or five more wins. Maybe four wins and one in the B10 tourney?

OK, OK ... I know. One game at a time.

But as one brilliant poster said earlier this week, "Is it really too much to ask?"

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Magic number is now 4. We have a really tough schedule going forward so it will still be tough. We did not draw the easiest schedule with only one each against Minn, MD at MD only where they are 11-1 and 5-0 etc.. Hopefully they can get it done

Last edited:
Done

Reactions: EagerFan
I'm in full C mode, and trying to find four or five more wins. Maybe four wins and one in the B10 tourney?

OK, OK ... I know. One game at a time.

But as one brilliant poster said earlier this week, "Is it really too much to ask?"
We must never, ever count on a win in BTT. Gotta clinch in reg season

I am pretty pessimistic when it comes to NU hoops. I've been a fan for a long time and I am too beaten down to feel any other way. I admit it is miserable, but I can't control it. That all said, I found myself pleasantly surprised, but not overly exuberant about our upset win in East Lansing last night. I imagine many of you feel the same. It's a pattern we've seen play out with this team in recent years before. We clean up in the cupcake portion of our schedule. We blow a chance for a quality non-conference win. We have at least one game that we want to forget. And then we start conference play with a really nice, even shocking win or two. But then.....

Last year, we lost tough, close games to Providence and Wake Forest, but then came back with a really nice road win at Maryland to start conference play. We followed that with 4 straight losses including at home to Maryland. But then we had a nice upset of Michigan State... followed by 4 more losses and an eventual 7-13 finish in conference and below .500 record overall.

Two years ago, we had a tough loss to Pitt in the non-conference portion. But had an even more shocking win over MSU again to start conference play. Even better, we followed that up with tough wins against Ohio State and Indiana. That was the last time I think we felt hope as Cat fans. Of course, then we went on to lose our next 13 games!! What was that line from Shawshank Redemption about hope? Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It applies to being a Northwestern fan.

So, today we celebrate a nice win against (a somewhat depleted) MSU team. I feel great for the kids. I even feel good for Coach Collins. He looked pretty happy last night. I generally like the guy and wished he were the answer here, so I don't want his life to be miserable. But I've seen this movie before. Even if we win the next BIG game, it is not necessarily a harbinger of good things to come. Hope is a dangerous thing for an NU hoops' fan. That long losing streak always feels like it's just around the corner.
It was in 2016/17

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT